Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times

Advertisements

For anyone that didn't read the link, this is happening in New Zealand.

I think it's wrong anytime a school mandates something very expensive and of questionable value. Ipads are great but they are not nearly as versatile as laptops, which I also don't think are essential for the majority of students.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
laptops, which I also don't think are essential for the majority of students.
I respectfully disagree. At the very least, highschoolers should all have laptops/netbooks. A netbook costs only as much as a few textbooks.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I respectfully disagree. At the very least, highschoolers should all have laptops/netbooks. A netbook costs only as much as a few textbooks.
It seems as if districts would even be able to save money if they went to netbooks or e-readers instead of textbooks. With GPS locators and remote kill-switches, the devices are useless if stolen and relatively inexpensive if lost. The typical student at our school is issued between $300 and $500 worth of books every year. If they are lost, that's much more than a netbook.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Interesting reading and reminded me of this thread 10 Reasons Not to Buy an iPad for Students

I love this point:
Quote:
It's a Status Symbol, Plain and Simple
Like any gadget, the iPad is a status symbol. Like any Apple gadget, it's an expensive status symbol. It's something we've been trained by society and lifestyle magazines to want, simply because it's a luxury — and if we can be the first to have it, somehow, we "win." To combat this, you can sit your kid down and, being very earnest, tell them that they don't need things to make them popular with their classmates.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Very true. Apple applications are all style and no substance.
I'm not Apple fanboy, but that's kind of an uninformed statement. From what I've seen of them, they are an incredibly powerful multimedia tool with the ability to allow the use of digital textbooks and a host of other teaching tools, while simultaneously giving a platform to do work.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm not Apple fanboy, but that's kind of an uninformed statement. From what I've seen of them, they are an incredibly powerful multimedia tool with the ability to allow the use of digital textbooks and a host of other teaching tools, while simultaneously giving a platform to do work.
Like I said in my previous post - it's good for business but not so great for engineering or other technical uses.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
"Improve" education by giving a struggling kid an ipad...and at the end of the year, if all else remained equal, he will still have the same chicken brain and fail algebra.

Real education requires real disciplined effort that isn't always fun. Real education requires active involvement and support from parents as well as teachers. If these things are not addressed, then shelling out cash to give the kid the latest doodad gadget is ultimately a waste that will not move the needle on student achievement.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:46 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If you wanted kids to be technology ready wouldn't you use a regular laptop that has a diversity of programs instead of an Ipad that only has Apple applications?
An iPad doesn't only have Apple applications. It has an extremely large variety of applications made by thousands of worldwide developers. And they are a lot lower in price than programs you would purchase for a laptop, if not free.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 PM

67 posts, read 107,368 times
As a teacher I see iPads as fantastic for the classroom with digital textbooks that can be updated regularly. I can't stand it when I walk in a classroom and see textbooks that are over 5-10 years old. Plus, it would lighten the load in students' backpacks with no excuse for not brining their textbook to class.

The money school districts would save in the long run from buying way-too-damn-expensive physical textbooks would be a blessing in disguise.

The iPad is a status symbol? Gee... I guess I better not get one to make my teaching life so much easier. Never mind the iPod touch I want to get to control Keynote presentations from my MacBook.

Last edited by A Flock Of Budgies; 07-30-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,531 times
An iPad doesn't have any more inherent capability than a netbook. It is just cooler. Further, a netbook is FAR more practical to type on, so students could have their textbooks, essays, and class notes all in one place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education