Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of this?
It served legitimate purposes 7 21.21%
It was completely inappropriate 26 78.79%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 AM

15,087 posts, read 13,498,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
OMG people, OMG. The point of the quiz was to give a real example of how our pre-conceived views of things can skew our thinking. How our perception can cause us to draw conclusions that are invalid.

Um, I'm no psychologist but I think that MAYYY be an important thing when studying psychology.

That having been said, yea, a little inappropriate for high school, given the way our society is today. Would fare better in a college setting. BUT it was an AP course, which is supposed to be a college course. UGH, I say to the teacher, get OUT of high school and go teach in college!!
That's really sweet. Now how about they just stick to teaching kids the proper fundamentals of reading, writing, maths, sciences, etc. - you know, the things that are crucial for future career potential and that they're failing miserably at mastering? Just a thought. OMG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 05:55 PM

532 posts, read 1,059,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
everything regarding this topic could be considered objective. Victorian? ha! not really. trust me, I'm far from a prude, but really, what purpose does it serve a teen in high school to know this info? please, tell me a compelling reason why something like this needs to be taught in high school. there are countless topics that can covered in a high school psych class and even the topic of sex can be discussed w/o the use of idiotic quizzes from the bygone ages sure to rile up parents. hell, let's just focus on kids getting a decent sex education where they can learn the basics of sex, save the extra stuff for college
This post contains a response to a strawman, an insinuation that I called you a "prude." However, I merely suggested that you may have been influenced by the Victorian mores that are still inherent in U.S. culture, rather than have been motivated by a logically sound reason against the use of this material. You still have not provided any logically sound arguments against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And what's the logically compelling reason for spending high school educational resources on a graphic "sex quiz"?
This question regarding expenditures for this quiz (more in the way of opportunity costs than anything else), has been phrased in a way that implies that I have a partisan stake in the issue. I do not. I have not studied the issue, and therefore cannot submit an opinion on it. However, I do question whether objections to the content of this material are driven by logically sound arguments or squeamish feelings.

Quote:
The fundamental purpose of lower education used to be to teach students foundational skills necessary to be eligible for successful, productive roles in their communities. Apparently, that is just not liberal enough these days.
Aside from skill acquisition, the hierarchical nature of primary and secondary schooling is the mass socialization of students for entry into the similarly regimented workplace. Since liberalism is fundamentally supportive of capitalism, it fits quite smoothly with liberalism.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,219,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
Uncertain. What specific facet is inappropriate, and why?
The entire part because it features an adult in a professional capacity violating nearly every sexual harassment policy I've seen in an American workplace, while working with minors under his supervision. Telling sexual jokes, innuendos, and stories, or comments are all no-no's with adults among adults when in a workplace, so why should this guy allow to get by while working as a high school teacher. I think some sort of punishment is in line.

Now, if this teacher were simply discussing or teaching on nearly any sexual topic relevant to sex ed, biology, sociology or psychology, I'd say he was doing his job. If a student ask about STDs or wants to ask a question about sexology or anatomy or sexuality, answer it and that's fine. Here, he was just acting crass and unprofessional.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,292,446 times
[quote=poletop1;18431636]The entire part because it features an adult in a professional capacity violating nearly every sexual harassment policy I've seen in an American workplace, while working with minors under his supervision. Telling sexual jokes, innuendos, and stories, or comments are all no-no's with adults among adults when in a workplace, so why should this guy allow to get by while working as a high school teacher. I think some sort of punishment is in line

B I N G O !

Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 AM

15,087 posts, read 13,498,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
This question regarding expenditures for this quiz (more in the way of opportunity costs than anything else), has been phrased in a way that implies that I have a partisan stake in the issue. I do not. I have not studied the issue, and therefore cannot submit an opinion on it. However, I do question whether objections to the content of this material are driven by logically sound arguments or squeamish feelings.
So, to translate your fancy prose there...

You've decided to articulate an opinion on how others have formed their opinion regarding a topic on which you personally haven't formed any opinion? Um...ok. How avante-gard and intellectual of you.

I've been socialized by my Victorian mores into perceiving sex quizzes as antithetical to a liberally supportive paradigm of transcendental, hierarchical neo-colonial archetypes of cross-polinated gobbledygook blah blah. Skip doodly doo. Zip zap. OMG. BIG WORDS. SO IMPRESSIVE.

It doesn't require extensive "study" to conclude that this is a poor use of high school class time; it just requires a little bit of common sense.

Last edited by ambient; 03-25-2011 at 12:42 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,319,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
The entire part because it features an adult in a professional capacity violating nearly every sexual harassment policy I've seen in an American workplace, while working with minors under his supervision....

Very well put. You're right, Poletop. In corporate America this would be grounds for firing and probably for a lawsuit.

I'm no prude either, but I'm a little shocked that a high school teacher would give this to his students. That's not being a good roll model.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 PM

532 posts, read 1,059,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
The entire part because it features an adult in a professional capacity violating nearly every sexual harassment policy I've seen in an American workplace, while working with minors under his supervision. Telling sexual jokes, innuendos, and stories, or comments are all no-no's with adults among adults when in a workplace, so why should this guy allow to get by while working as a high school teacher. I think some sort of punishment is in line.

Now, if this teacher were simply discussing or teaching on nearly any sexual topic relevant to sex ed, biology, sociology or psychology, I'd say he was doing his job. If a student ask about STDs or wants to ask a question about sexology or anatomy or sexuality, answer it and that's fine. Here, he was just acting crass and unprofessional.
That's a better argument. I can understand that perspective.

Quote:
So,
...you don't have any arguments in favor of your position? Well, that's fine. But you could have just said so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education