Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 03:07 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,067,738 times

Advertisements

Guns and booze, a Darwin award waiting to happen.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,024,541 times
Shuffler wrote:
And then there are those of us who see the usefulness of firearms for hunting & protection in a bad situation.

Who's got your back if/when the time comes? You can't really reason with somebody determined to harm you in order to get something they want.

I do need a sawed-off pumper for the tight quarters in my little house....and maybe some decorative iron wainscoting for duck and cover when the bullets fly....

Guns can indeed be very useful. I'm not saying that it's better to own a gun or not own a gun. It's a personal choice. I do however find it interesting that a person owning a gun is far more apt to have a NEED to use it than a person who doesn't own one.

No one's got my back. I'm a strong believer in the law of attraction....Whatever you focus upon is what you attract into your life. ( I can almost hear Bob chuckling and preparing to write another 10 paragraph detractor ). Even as an 18yr old during the vietnam era I was firmly convinced that I would not go off to war to kill people I didn't even know. I was guided into the air force where I was able to watch that crazy war from the sidelines from a position of absolute safety.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:30 PM

1,670 posts, read 4,380,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Guns and booze, a Darwin award waiting to happen.
Never together, and only in moderation...I'm not quite 100% Whiskey Tango...

Old 12-03-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Never together, and only in moderation...I'm not quite 100% Whiskey Tango...
I'm much relieved.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,302,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Guns can indeed be very useful. I'm not saying that it's better to own a gun or not own a gun. It's a personal choice. I do however find it interesting that a person owning a gun is far more apt to have a NEED to use it than a person who doesn't own one.

No one's got my back. I'm a strong believer in the law of attraction....Whatever you focus upon is what you attract into your life. ( I can almost hear Bob chuckling and preparing to write another 10 paragraph detractor ). Even as an 18yr old during the vietnam era I was firmly convinced that I would not go off to war to kill people I didn't even know. I was guided into the air force where I was able to watch that crazy war from the sidelines from a position of absolute safety.
I lived in Texas when the Luby's massacre occurred in Killeen. I remember during the hearings for the then-proposed concealed-carry law, the daughter of a couple murdered that day before her eyes testified that, had she been legally permitted to have her pistol there that day, that there was a good chance her parents would still be alive. It was one of the most compelling testimonies before the Texas legislature, and the law was approved shortly thereafter. To this day, more than 13 years later, not a single armed felony has been committed by a Texas concealed-carry permit holder.

I don't recall having written ten paragraphs in a post here ever.

The idea of the "law of attraction" as Wiz states it, is crap. I focus on the troubles of our times precisely to avoid them. Does anyone think that my observations in a couple internet forums are moving markets or world events? I certainly don't. My observations of the world around me make nary a mark. They serve me best to avoid getting sucked into the vortex of the s***storm we're in. I've definitely benefitted from the ideas of others, sometimes the ideas of those ideologically opposed to me. If other independent thinkers gain even a smidge of insight from my thoughts, it was worth posting them. If you don't like what I have to say--I...don't...care. Do your own research, draw your own conclusions, and good luck to you!!

Soylent Green is People!!

Debt is Destructive

Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM

I don't think it's crap. I think it's another way of saying, "Don't go looking for trouble" because you're bound to find it.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,302,569 times
Quote:
I don't think it's crap. I think it's another way of saying, "Don't go looking for trouble" because you're bound to find it.
Ostrich mentality. "Looking for trouble" isn't at all the same thing as "looking to get into trouble."

Trouble has a way of finding even the most unsuspecting, like the millions of clueless lemmings now pinned underneath a mortgage they can't afford in Act I of The Incredible Shrinking Economy. Maybe if a few more had looked under the hood for the monster lurking beneath, they wouldn't be courting bankruptcy and homelessness now.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Ostrich mentality. "Looking for trouble" isn't at all the same thing as "looking to get into trouble."

Trouble has a way of finding even the most unsuspecting, like the millions of clueless lemmings now pinned underneath a mortgage they can't afford in Act I of The Incredible Shrinking Economy. Maybe if a few more had looked under the hood for the monster lurking beneath, they wouldn't be courting bankruptcy and homelessness now.
I'm hardly an ostrich, and I think you misunderstood my point. My version of not looking for trouble is living very quietly and staying under the radar. Flashing wealth is a good way to draw the wrong kind of people into your life, especially in a time when so many are hurting. I don't need to load up on ammunition when parking the nice car, putting away the jewelry, and staying away from the high-end shops can minimize my risks. Better yet, why not just do without those things altogether? That's been my plan all along, and it serves me well. I think you, me, and Cosmic agree much more than we disagree.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM

1,670 posts, read 4,380,550 times
Quote:
I'm hardly an ostrich, and I think you misunderstood my point. My version of not looking for trouble is living very quietly and staying under the radar. Flashing wealth is a good way to draw the wrong kind of people into your life, especially in a time when so many are hurting. I don't need to load up on ammunition when parking the nice car, putting away the jewelry, and staying away from the high-end shops can minimize my risks. Better yet, why not just do without those things altogether? That's been my plan all along, and it serves me well. I think you, me, and Cosmic agree much more than we disagree.
I should use this as justification for why I don't need to go and spend a lotta dough on an engagement ring...in my mind, not a good use of funds in these times...

And Wiz, regardless of what you did or didn't do while serving our country, and that we obviously have different points of view on some things, my hat goes off to you and all Veterans. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 PM

26,253 posts, read 49,162,683 times
In the spirit of the season, and of this thread, I sing to you the following classic...

Stray dogs spit-roasting on an open fire....
Jack Frost has nipped off all your toes....
Yuletide carols being sung for some soup
To survive we all dress up like Eskimo's

Everybody knows the gas & electric have been shut off...
Your frozen cheeks are so berry bright
Tiny tots with their eyes all sallow
Will find no place to sleep tonight

And so I'm offering this insipid phrase
To starving losers from one to ninety-two
Although it's been said many times, many ways
Happy Holidays, we're screwed.

http://bestsmileys.com/christmas4/12.gif (broken link) http://bestsmileys.com/christmas2/17.gif (broken link) http://bestsmileys.com/christmas5/20.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/army/1.gif (broken link)
Hey everyone! It's Helicopter Ben Bernanke,
dropping money on us to save the day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.