Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 PM

166 posts, read 420,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Some of these radical changes will actually make our lives simpler, less scattered, and more focused.
if you already do that rad stuff in your referenced article, then your life won't change one damn bit! i know my life will not change at all. preparation is one part mental and nine parts execution...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
mulktitrak wrote:
if you already do that rad stuff in your referenced article, then your life won't change one damn bit! i know my life will not change at all. preparation is one part mental and nine parts execution...
Perhaps you live that way, but I live just the opposite. I do 90% of my work mentally and 10% with physical action. Life is alot easier that way.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Perhaps you live that way, but I live just the opposite. I do 90% of my work mentally and 10% with physical action. Life is alot easier that way.
well, when i look down at my energy storage depot, less mental and more physical exertion is probably a good idea...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 PM

multi

I get my fair share of physical exertion, but I save it for the gym and taking nature hikes. I hate to waste it on work and chores!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,288,296 times
I guess I could be in a position to take a lighter view of the personal impacts of the greater problems too. But only until I think about the tax increases that will be exacted on the innocent to fund the socialization of all these losses. It's the American way...[mod cut] it's always someone else's fault, and it's always someone else's bill to pay.

News from the Mortgage Banker's Association this morning is a 6.4% drop (to 357.3) in their purchase index for the week of 18 Apr, bringing the 4-week moving average further down to 369.9 and confirming that the Spring homebuying season continues to be a bust.

Refinancing activity was also down 20%, due to 30-year mortgage rates spiking up 30 basis points for the week.

Delta airlines, still in a bid to buy Northworst Airlines, just posted a $6.39 Bn loss for the first quarter...I am left to wonder how a company that's losing $70 million a day is in a position to buy anything.

It's all good, I guess...it'll make our lives "simpler." OK, if you say so...

--"We're surrounded? Good, that simplifies things!" -Lt Gen L. B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Last edited by suzco; 04-23-2008 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: language

Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Delta airlines, still in a bid to buy Northworst Airlines, just posted a $6.39 Bn loss for the first quarter...I am left to wonder how a company that's losing $70 million a day is in a position to buy anything.
They are like the farmer who loses a dollar on every bushel of wheat he produces, so he plants 500 acres more so he can make it up on volume.

This whole economic fiasco would make a great Marx Brothers comedy, with some Keystone cops thrown in, if it were not actually happening for real, with quite devastating consequences ahead. At the root of much of it is a transportation/energy crisis.

A whole segment of America's unbalanced and unsustainable transportation system is collapsing before our eyes and the average Joe still can't see that for what it is. Nor can our supposedly intelligent minions in government. The end of cheap energy means the end of cheap transportation--and Americans still haven't connected the dots as to what that will mean to them.

Since you brought up Delta Airlines, Bob, you should read ol' Mr. Kunstler's April 21st blog on the subject ( James Howard Kunstler ). He "gets it" and also says what should be done about it. Unfortunately, his assessments about the politicians' and public's insight on the issue is dead-on. If the public insight was water, you could walk through it and not get your feet wet.
[mod cut]

In Colorado, all we talk about is expanding airports that few will be able to afford to fly out of, and building more roads that people can barely afford to pay for the fuel to drive on now. Am I the ONLY person who can see how dumb a transportation "policy" that is? If we can't reorder our transportation priorities, there is no part of the national or Colorado economy that is going to be sustainable or secure--it will all turn to crap.

Last edited by suzco; 04-23-2008 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: copyright; the link is fine, not the lengthy quote; only post a couple of lines

Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 AM

Jazzlover wrote:
In Colorado, all we talk about is expanding airports that few will be able to afford to fly out of, and building more roads that people can barely afford to pay for the fuel to drive on now. Am I the ONLY person who can see how dumb a transportation "policy" that is? If we can't reorder our transportation priorities, there is no part of the national or Colorado economy that is going to be sustainable or secure--it will all turn to crap.
If it's any consolation to you my friend, I can see it, I can see it!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM

who's going to pay for a passenger transnational and regional choo-choo system? i? not likely. i have no use traveling by commercial airlines now, much less by trains on a regular basis. private enterprise? been there, done that. government? can you say amtrak? and what's going to be the cost? a trillion? two? more, eventually a whole lot more. when you get to your destination or transfer point, what are you going to drive? that's right, a good ole gas or moonshine burning car/truck/suv. if it can't run without a subsidy, then it will never get built out. and without subsidies, it will not be profitable. plus with real inflation running 5+% annually (can you say enormous cost overuns?), increased food production and expansion now is a greater priority than a multi-trillion dollar rail boondoggle that benefits only a handful of states, not the entire nation. train travel is a romantic holdover from a bygone past. if buffett loves trains so much, then let him build the damn thing...

Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
Why not build choo-choo tracks from the plane hubs to the regional airports? Terminals are already in place, and it would cut back on short, inefficient flights.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Why not build choo-choo tracks from the plane hubs to the regional airports? Terminals are already in place, and it would cut back on short, inefficient flights.
i like that idea if right of way issues are not too much of a problem. or the airlines could incorporate the much cheaper microjets (when the faa approves em) into the mix for short hops. they can handle passenger loads up to 8-10 people plus skis and golfclubs, they are very fuel efficient, and they can land on a runway as short as 3,000 feet. in terms of colorado mountain travel, you could go practically anywhere with these things. no need to fly big iron just for a handful of people.

Last edited by multitrak; 04-23-2008 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics