Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,221,415 times

Advertisements

For those of you who are willing to consider facts, even if they disagree with your preconceived notions.

"Jobless claims have peaked, says a member of the bureau charged with declaring when US recessions begin and end. And in every recession since 1974, the peak in jobless claims has come within weeks of the bottom."

"The source is Robert J. Gordon, an acclaimed macroeconomist and professor at Northwestern University. It's surprising to learn he thinks the recession is over, because he is one of seven members of the elite Business Cycle Dating Committee of the National Bureau of Economic Analysis. These are the people who decide officially, for the record books, when recessions begin and end -- usually many months after the fact, when the decision is really obvious. I'm unaware of any previous case in which a member of this committee has stepped forward and declared the end of a recession in real time."

The recession? It's over, economist says - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,211,930 times
Glad to hear this...again.
Now we can all get up and dance the Macarena.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,865,512 times
I believe this as much just as the other post that says we are headed into a one world government. How many times has the media told us we have hit rock bottom and its all going to get better? Are they going to bring back living wage jobs to which we can begin to start living the American dream? This article is pure rubbish! These economists are no different than the idiots who try to predict the weather using their fancy computerized instruments.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,492,960 times
I dont believe it.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:43 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,752,353 times
When was the last time we had a recession (severe) along w/a collapse of the housing market (like we have today)?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont believe it.
They really think us that stupid to believe this nonsense.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
When was the last time we had a recession (severe) along w/a collapse of the housing market (like we have today)?
and much more along with that

Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,596,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Glad to hear this...again.
Now we can all get up and dance the Macarena.
So come on, come on, do the locomotion with me.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,546,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
For those of you who are willing to consider facts, even if they disagree with your preconceived notions.

"Jobless claims have peaked, says a member of the bureau charged with declaring when US recessions begin and end. And in every recession since 1974, the peak in jobless claims has come within weeks of the bottom."

"The source is Robert J. Gordon, an acclaimed macroeconomist and professor at Northwestern University. It's surprising to learn he thinks the recession is over, because he is one of seven members of the elite Business Cycle Dating Committee of the National Bureau of Economic Analysis. These are the people who decide officially, for the record books, when recessions begin and end -- usually many months after the fact, when the decision is really obvious. I'm unaware of any previous case in which a member of this committee has stepped forward and declared the end of a recession in real time."

The recession? It's over, economist says - MSN Money
I didn't click on the link but how does he know the jobless claims have peaked?

Old 05-25-2009, 10:13 PM

975 posts, read 1,758,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Are they going to bring back living wage jobs to which we can begin to start living the American dream?
I don't believe this article either and I'm surprised someone like this guy would try and predict that claims have peaked.

But your quote above speaks volumes of what is ulitmately wrong with this country. Who are "they" and why are "they" responsible for making jobs for you, me and eveyone else?

Actually no one has to create a high paying job for me, I'm perfectly capable of creating my own job. The country will get back on it's feet and one of the most likely sources of future job growth will come from those who are unemployed.Instead of waiting for someone else to solve their problem "they" will solve it them instead by creating new businesses.

So, in fact, "they" is or could be and should be you. What are you doing to create a job for yourself or others? Isn't creating a business about the most American idea going afterall?

Stop waiting for someone else to solve your problems and start solving them youself. Just think what would ahppen if we all did that. As someone who has started a business I can tell you that there's very few accomplishments that will bring you more pride. And the realization that you don't need to rely on anyone else is life changing experience.

Even right now, there are many millions of people who are not participating in this recession. I personally know 2 people who have been laid off who are not participating as they have started businesses.

Ultimately we all have to decide whether we're part of the problem or part of the solution. And, btw, identifying the problem is simple and within the scope of just about anyone. Identifying the solution and implementing it is what seperates the herd. Where are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics