Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:20 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,782,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
I personally know 2 people who have been laid off who are not participating as they have started businesses.
?
I know two people who have run their own business (which have failed) and now they are loaded w/cc debt and cannot even collect unemployment. So your "solution" is not the cure all for everyone..

I understand that you being one of the 25% of business owners have succeded (3 out of 4 fail) and will toot your horn. I'm glad for you. However not everyone has the resources to start their own business in these times and provide for their family.

Please don't paint people in a corner and loosely say that if you don't run a business, your a *******.....

MANY people live successfully and don't run their own business and are extremely happy to boot.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,465,574 times
Sort of reminds me that even the band on the Titanic continued to play cheerful and gay tunes until they were swept below the waves.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 PM

975 posts, read 1,760,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I know two people who have run their own business (which have failed) and now they are loaded w/cc debt and cannot even collect unemployment. So your "solution" is not the cure all for everyone..

I understand that you being one of the 25% of business owners have succeded (3 out of 4 fail) and will toot your horn. I'm glad for you. However not everyone has the resources to start their own business in these times and provide for their family.

Please don't paint people in a corner and loosely say that if you don't run a business, your a *******.....

MANY people live successfully and don't run their own business and are extremely happy to boot.....
First, I never said if you don't run a business your a _________.

Second, I never said you couldn't be happy working for someone else.

What I did say was instead of complaining, that "they" aren't doing what "they" should be to make a job for me was to solve your own problem.

And, yes, businesses fail. Big deal. So not everyone gets the brass ring.. No ****!

And also, it doesn't always take a lot of money to successfully start a business. It really depends on what type of business and not everyone can start just any old business they want. Life's tough, man up.

Btw, I started my business with 4K and an American Express card. Today to start the same business I dont think I could do that. Of course, looking back, I never stood a chance. Good thing I wasn't smart enough then to know that..LOL!

Stop being a victim. It's sickening.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,782,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
First, I never said if you don't run a business your a _________.

Second, I never said you couldn't be happy working for someone else.

What I did say was instead of complaining, that "they" aren't doing what "they" should be to make a job for me was to solve your own problem.

And, yes, businesses fail. Big deal. So not everyone gets the brass ring.. No ****!

And also, it doesn't always take a lot of money to successfully start a business. It really depends on what type of business and not everyone can start just any old business they want. Life's tough, man up.

Btw, I started my business with 4K and an American Express card. Today to start the same business I dont think I could do that. Of course, looking back, I never stood a chance. Good thing I wasn't smart enough then to know that..LOL!

Stop being a victim. It's sickening.
I don't disagree w/you about being a "victim". However there are many roads to Dublin. I work side jobs to increase my income while cutting unnecessary expenses.

All I'm saying is its MUCH easier to start a business when you are in your 20's or when you don't have kids to feed. If you fail (and most likely you will), you stilll have time to make up and go another route. I'm older and it doesn't make sense for me.

There are options out there.....

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,249,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I believe this as much just as the other post that says we are headed into a one world government. How many times has the media told us we have hit rock bottom and its all going to get better? Are they going to bring back living wage jobs to which we can begin to start living the American dream? This article is pure rubbish! These economists are no different than the idiots who try to predict the weather using their fancy computerized instruments.
This guy is not one of "the media." He's one of a panel of respected economists (Business Cycle Dating Committee of the National Bureau of Economic Analysis) and a professor of economics. This is the same group that declared that a recession had started in Dec 2007, despite continued positive GDP growth at the time. Hell, even Krugman says he expects GDP growth this year.

I just love how people take folks like Roubini as saviors, but anything that dares to point out fact and draw a different conclusion is derided. I bet had he come out with an article that predicted doom, gloom, and the end of society as we know it, you guys would all singing the article's praises.

How about the consumer confidence jump reported today? What do those dumb consumers know anyway....must be pure rubbish.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,842,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
For those of you who are willing to consider facts, even if they disagree with your preconceived notions.

"Jobless claims have peaked, says a member of the bureau charged with declaring when US recessions begin and end. And in every recession since 1974, the peak in jobless claims has come within weeks of the bottom."

"The source is Robert J. Gordon, an acclaimed macroeconomist and professor at Northwestern University. It's surprising to learn he thinks the recession is over, because he is one of seven members of the elite Business Cycle Dating Committee of the National Bureau of Economic Analysis. These are the people who decide officially, for the record books, when recessions begin and end -- usually many months after the fact, when the decision is really obvious. I'm unaware of any previous case in which a member of this committee has stepped forward and declared the end of a recession in real time."

The recession? It's over, economist says - MSN Money
How does Bobby Gordon know that jobless claims have peaked?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,249,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
How does Bobby Gordon know that jobless claims have peaked?
Looking at the data maybe?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,842,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Looking at the data maybe?
How does he know what future jobless data looks like?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,766,831 times
Well consumer confidence soared in May..the worst is behind us they say.

Consumer confidence soars in May - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090526/ap_on_bi_ge/us_economy_12 - broken link)

"Consumer confidence extended its rebound in May, soaring to the highest level since last September as more shoppers are feeling the worst of the recession is behind them."

and in this same article..this conflicting sentence:

"Meanwhile, Americans continue to cut back on nonessentials like furniture while focusing on buying necessities as they worry about their jobs."

How can you be a confident "consumer" and worry about the basic necessities and your job ?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,987,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How can you be a confident "consumer" and worry about the basic necessities and your job ?
I think that the initial shock of the credit crisis has worn off. When that happened, confidence plummeted probably below where it should be. Now, although the economy is still in recession (in my view), it does seem to have stabilized and that has caused consumer confidence to come back from the lows of last Fall. That does not mean that people are not still worried but they feel better than they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics