Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I figure I will be able to buy a much better home in five years than I could ever afford during the bubble.
I think the average prospective buyer feels the same way. I know I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 02:13 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I was ridiculed for saying the same thing in the Real Estate forum.
The Real Estate forum is driven by bias. Arguments are colored by people's role in the market - buyer, seller, or agent.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
The Real Estate forum is driven by bias. Arguments are colored by people's role in the market - buyer, seller, or agent.
Several posters in the RE forum also do not look beyond RE.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
What I don't get...why aren't renters ever mentioned in the mainstream media or in real estate stories? It's like they don't exist. Maybe they don't exist!

Home buyers always make up 99% of these stories. But surely there are renters that love that prices come down. They get to buy a home.

I guess its a combination of...

-The media is obsessed with negative doom and gloom stories. Gotta scare the populace a little more. About Joe and Jane that lost their house. You could be next! Scares you into submission. Makes you more afraid, subservient to lenders, banks, the man that runs it.

-NAR, etc that are obsessed with home ownership.

-Govt/politicans are obsessed with home ownership, giving people (voters) the "American Dream" (who cares if they can afford it!). But give them that american dream of home ownership.

-Lack of any common sense or intelligence from the media. If 40 or 50% of people in cities rent, who cares. And you wonder why no one reads newspapers or cares about the media.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Look at this "story" (Orwellian propaganda??) more in depth....

The "experts" lead your thinking. Thinking for yourself is very dangerous. We can't have that. So from the first paragraph, the "experts" lead your thinking. Forget about home prices to income or anything like that.

We want future home buyers to only think about mortgage rates. And all the parties involved pile on....treasury, govt, "vocal industry groups", the national association of realtors.

Quoting a lowly renter in the story that wants lower home prices would gum it up.

Buried towards the bottom....

"What's keeping many homebuyers out of the market are stringent lending standards, not interest rates, experts said."

More subtle brainwashing. The experts are telling *you* that stringent lending standards are keeping homebuyers out of the market. The experts are telling you, what you already know. The "experts" are ready to convince *you*, that you can afford a house with a 4.5% mortgage. And that's good for the housing market.

And why wonder why people got tricked buying houses they couldn't afford...

Besides being a propraganda piece by NAR and the govt to sell homes, it reports on things in isolation. And you wonder why people are confused about the economy and economics...duh.

"A $7,500 credit approved by Congress this summer -- which is really a loan since it must be paid back -- isn't working.

"It hasn't done any good," Gaines said. "Make it a real credit for home purchases."

Of course it hasn't worked if unemployment is going up, or the dollar is being devalued. Or home prices are still out of whack to incomes?

After reading this piece....the government is good, it's going to save you. Treasury and the Federal Reserve are good institutions, they're working on it. The experts are rushing in to provide answers.

We're all going to save you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics