Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times

Advertisements

The city of Teotihuacan (I think it was Mayan) was amazingly advanced for it's time. Laid out on a grid, with plumbing and other features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptik View Post
Actually their knowledge wasn't primitive at all and their civilization did not die out and are still living today in parts of Central America. The ancient Mayans were highly intelligent, they produced extremely accurate astronomical observations; their charts of the movements of the moon and planets are equal or superior to those of any other civilization working from naked eye observation. And about them predicting the world's end in 2012, I doubt it's going to be the end, but something in the solar system IS going to happen on the date they predicted. Read up on it before making ignorant posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 03:09 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
I am very sorry to hear that lovinCarl. Good luck to you. People will start to wake up in the coming months as they are affected to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
I love people who don't think this crap is really happening because it hasn't happened to them yet.

Well as of yesterday my family is part of that. My husband was laid off from his job in IT here. Trying to find a job is going to be horrid. And to boot 2 other large employers in this area laid off 526 employees and another company laid off 100.

So yeah.. it's getting uglier and uglier. thankfully I still have my job (and that is stable in this area (med transc) and unemployment and my child support plus my MIL lives w/us and her SS is going to help. We'll be okay through the winter but after that? who knows

Old 11-22-2008, 03:09 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I think it will be more likely in 2012 when the end of the world is predicted to happen according to ancient Mayan scripts.
Uhhh....nevermind

Old 11-22-2008, 03:25 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yes, because all the poor and unemployed people will create jobs and get the economy going again. We'll do as Obama says and "build the economy from the bottom up." Let me know when you get hired by a poor person. Hope that works out for you.
This is myopic at best. In the US you need very little to start a business and people that are dirt poor do it all the time. Some of today's most successful companies (Apple, HP, Google) were started in garages with people with no money.

Money doesn't give you ideas, intelligence nor make you innovative. Most great businesses were started from the "bottom up". Simply read the history of today's major corporations. Nearly all of them were created from the "bottom up".

With the exception of those that have derived their wealth from real business activity, the wealthy are largely parasites. They can vanish tomorrow and society wouldn't be any worse off. Now, if the workers, the scientists, the innovators vanished tomorrow we'd be in trouble.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I thought the "End of the World" already happened several times, according to all those previous predictions.
Getting a bad feeling reading all this. The economy tanks far enough and the world economy goes with it what is going to hold our fractured society together. One of those contingency plans involving military activity on the homesoil?

And the mayan prediction is not complete. It predicts "the end of the world as we know it". Should the foundation collapse it certainly would fit.

I'm very happy to be living in a town that is surrounded by agriculter and livestock production and well armed. And the house is PAID FOR! Used to live in a city of over 300k. And did not want to be there should ... when things go really bad.

I think we are heading down a dark road. Yes, this is a correction which begins with the economy. And spirals into a lot of other places. Because we are terribly out of balance with this world and its is past time for the correction. (and I'm not looking at a Christian perspective)

Old 11-22-2008, 04:27 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
I do not think there will be a great depression but I do think we are in for a dramatic extended slowdown for the next 5-7 years which is a depressing thought in itself. Well, we have partied like crazy in the last 5 years and now it is time for the hangover, pretty simple really.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:18 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
So we find out today that the President-elect wants to incent economic growth the old fashioned way, by pumping public money into the economy. Of course no one has explained yet where the money will come from, but you can assume from "taxing the rich" and borrowing from our friends the Chinese and Saudis.

We're told that government will "create 2.5 million jobs in the next 2 years," presumably by hiring the people on the public dime. That's our new reality, where government "creates jobs" for some by taxing others, rather than setting the fiscal policy so that the private sector economy can grow.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
neil0311 wrote:
We're told that government will "create 2.5 million jobs in the next 2 years," presumably by hiring the people on the public dime. That's our new reality, where government "creates jobs" for some by taxing others, rather than setting the fiscal policy so that the private sector economy can grow.
Seems to me that the sacred private sector has failed miserably. Even a government of democratic politicians can do better than the private sector and the greedy, idiotic scumbags who control it.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
the wealthy are largely parasites.
I don't even know how to respond to ignorant and ridiculous statements like that, obviously motivated by a political bias and lack of any objectivity. Of course first we'd have to agree on the definition of "wealthy" which I bet to you is anyone who makes more than you do.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
How has this world ever survived? After all if things went the way that so called "experts" predicted over time I doubt we'd even be here right now. World War III was supposed to have happened no later than 1984 and if that didn't destroy us all then Y2K certainly was going to seal the deal.

Bad things have and will happen in this world, I'm not denying that, but we will get through this just as we've gotten through everything else. I don't set my mind to the doom & gloom thinking so many seem to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics