Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:54 PM

524 posts, read 943,008 times

Advertisements

We've survived them before.

Don't panic... prepare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,183,069 times
Quote:
PAUL B. FARRELL
30 reasons for Great Depression 2 by 2011

This guy is such a polyanna. We'll be lucky if most of us won't be scrounging stale bread from bakery dumpsters a year from now.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:05 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,935,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Sorry,I must have mistaken you for another republican who just wants to keep the money for themselves
is it really better to want to take from another group? can the poor take from the middle class as well? is that what our country has become, groups pitted against each other? i can't stand the idea of a president who wants to solve problems by pitting groups against each other rather than coming up with a plan to use the country's great resources and talent to build this country back up to what it once was.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:22 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,485,878 times
Well someone's taking from the middle class because they're pretty much dissolving!
It's obvious things are unbalanced here,how can pro athletes and celebrities be disgustingly overpaid(while people worship them to boot!)while they work no harder than a factory worker who makes a fraction of that...there are obviously unbalances here...

Old 11-20-2008, 03:32 PM

18,739 posts, read 33,449,880 times
Atheletes, celebs, etc. MAKE money for their masters. We in social services/healthcare COST money for our masters, even though we provide a valuable service. Believe me, if every shift I put in as an RN made some $100K for my job, I'd be better paid.
That said, I don't think pay reflects *social* utility- it reflects, to some degree, the money that the work creates for someone else. After all, people pay zillions to see some guy throw a football, and not zillions for a guy to bolt together a car, as necessary as the latter work is.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Atheletes, celebs, etc. MAKE money for their masters. We in social services/healthcare COST money for our masters, even though we provide a valuable service. Believe me, if every shift I put in as an RN made some $100K for my job, I'd be better paid.
That said, I don't think pay reflects *social* utility- it reflects, to some degree, the money that the work creates for someone else. After all, people pay zillions to see some guy throw a football, and not zillions for a guy to bolt together a car, as necessary as the latter work is.
I think they overcharge for tickets & merchandise for those things anyway also.
As far as the medical industry,all those overpriced things are going to someone's pocket ultimately also.

So as far as people paying to see athletes versus mechanics and doctors...in a way we are also now with these things being turned into tv shows such as on the medical channels and auto shows. We are in essence paying to see them do these things,however perhaps they're just not as entertaining & overrated a distraction as things like sports

Old 11-21-2008, 01:17 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,467,428 times
It will be different than the last depression in that world population has what, doubled? There are so many more of us. We may lose our jobs and homes, but there are people in other parts of the world who will be dying of starvation. There are just too many people on the planet. When the system starts to fail, we start to die off.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM

638 posts, read 1,920,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I am so sorry for your troubles. You're right, though, a lot of ppl are in denial until it happens to them. I hope everything works out for you.

Now what's even more pathetic is my co-worker's husband was laid off the day after my husband was ... he's a welder in Bozeman.

So there are only 3 of us med Transcriptionist for our clinic and they are panicking about losing 2 of use because of layoffs of our husbands.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
Now what's even more pathetic is my co-worker's husband was laid off the day after my husband was ... he's a welder in Bozeman.

So there are only 3 of us med Transcriptionist for our clinic and they are panicking about losing 2 of use because of layoffs of our husbands.
Could be worse...could be this guy!
Drove 2,000 miles to get axed Day 1! N.Y. miner gets shaft upon arriving in Montana

Old 11-21-2008, 06:01 PM

638 posts, read 1,920,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Yeah they had a bit on him in the Billings Gazette.

Husband has been applying for jobs all over Montana, Alaska (our dream), oregon (where family is) and Canada... something will hopefully come up

My co-worker and her husband are talking about just packing up and going to Alaska. they are REALLY concerned now that they are going to lose their house. She doesn't make enough money for the house payment and not counting all their other bills, plus CC bills etc. We are better off than them. We have no CC bills, i have child support and MIL and her SS w/hubbys unemployment..

plus we could go live in my folks huge house in oregon if we HAD to but we are not anxious to live in Oregon since it is so Californiaized nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics