Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's possible for a skilled survivalist to squat in a remote part of Alaska, but one would have to be willing to live on little else than meat, fish, berries, and pine needle tea. Also, one would have remain largely confined to a heatable shelter for at least half the year, and be able to make that shelter mosquito and fly resistant during the summer. There's not much quality of life in doing that.
Not to mention spending a large portion of your time trying NOT to become a meal yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
I have no issue with people wanting to move to another country for the value of that country, but bashing the US and placing blame on the political figures and banks makes no sense to me. Again, if you take out a mortgage that you can't afford, the bank didn't make you do it, and shame on you. If you gripe about the polititians then start doing something, write letters, phone calls, get informed, vote... know who you're voting for as far os beliefs and policies.
That's all I was saying, have a little personal responsibility and don't bash this country... but if you just love Sweeden, or whereever, than go.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:22 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
I find it depressing that so many Americans are so insular in their thinking. It is beyond my realm of understanding why anyone would want to blame the homeowners for a global economic crisis. Makes me want to pull my hair out.

I wish to god people would take it upon themselves to do a little more research. Anybody who is savvy enough to post on this forum, must understand how to use the Internet to research this stuff. All you have to do is type in words like "bailout" and "mortgage securities" and then read the links to the articles that comes up. It's really that simple.

But I guess what I'm reading here is the result of so many accumulative cutbacks in the education system: uneducated people making uninformed decisions.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Well, the thing is... is that the "Masses" are targeting this bail out as a handout to the rich. The masses are almost demanding businesses to shut down and close shop and punishing those that weren't even part of this mess.

So, why stay?

Let the masses face their unemployment lines, riots, and pillaging. Like I said, the more affluent are more mobile, and can leave if necessary. When a mass of businesses start shutting down... guess what... they might not open shop back in the States again.

Other countries are more than willing to pick up people with skills, education, and capital.

Canada helps territory attract and integrate skilled immigrants

miramichileader.com - Funds in place to deal with demographic challenge

The world is going to have a "skilled"/educated labor shortage as the Developed nations population ages. If America doesn't want us... we'll go to them.

Maybe in the future when you enter Canada/Mexico, etc. you'll have to present a bank statement and your educational degrees and a resume along with your passport. The unskilled/uneducated/uncapitalized will have to stay in America. Spain already shoots on site those that tries to cross into their borders.

-chuck22b

Hello chuck22b,

False choice. Its not a hand out to the rich its a handout to financiers. I wish to hand out the money to the rich and poor alike. If a person is getting rich building sky scrapers or making pizza, great. The goal is simple, stop catastrophic asset deflation. Passing out money to everyone will keep us from asset deflation. The only difference is we will keep OUR assets instead of the banks getting to draw interest on those that buy up our deflated assets with inflated currency. Lincoln green backs would do the job but don't expect the corrupt financiers who run our government to ever buck their debt currency system.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:01 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have no issue with people wanting to move to another country for the value of that country, but bashing the US and placing blame on the political figures and banks makes no sense to me. Again, if you take out a mortgage that you can't afford, the bank didn't make you do it, and shame on you. If you gripe about the polititians then start doing something, write letters, phone calls, get informed, vote... know who you're voting for as far os beliefs and policies.
That's all I was saying, have a little personal responsibility and don't bash this country... but if you just love Sweeden, or whereever, than go.
Hello dmarie123,

Do not assume our banking system is not to blame. Banks are historically the most corrupt systems ever devised. American used to know this. Read up on Nicholas Biddle and Andrew Jackson. The fractional reserve system along with demand deposits is like when you pay me to house sit while I rent out your house 10 times over. If you never come home all is well. They collect the rent while it is you who can lose the house. The FDIC scam means you replace my deposits and I replace yours in an expensive shell game.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Thomas Jefferson, Letter to the Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin (1802)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
These are also retiree's whose pensions and savings and SS cannot keep up with the prices in the US. Prices are going up faster then any adjustment for inflation.

Do you really believe inflation is only at 3% ??

Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM

190 posts, read 848,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Think how it would be with crumbling roads, poor schools, polluted water and smog-choked air.
I'm already living there. It's called Los Angeles!!!!!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:36 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gematria View Post
... Can the military act with insight when it is attacked without resorting to death squads in the future? Could it even fall apart from with in?
GI in Germany Charged in Gang Death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics