Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:58 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,889 times

Advertisements

For the first time, I am seeing all of the hatred, opinions and general true boohooing. It makes me more sick then afraid. In principle, we are doing ourselves in. Our families, friends and work colleagues, when it comes to finances are doing each other in, big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 12:15 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
I'm not sure whom you are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
For the first time, I am seeing all of the hatred, opinions and general true boohooing. It makes me more sick then afraid. In principle, we are doing ourselves in. Our families, friends and work colleagues, when it comes to finances are doing each other in, big time.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:27 PM

Each and every one of us is capable, without intent, of ****ing our own families when it comes to money.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Hatred? Boohooing? I don't see either. I see retirees and pre-retirees taking control of their future and going somewhere they can have a nicer way of life for less. They're not doing anybody in; they're realistically assessing their needs and goals, adapting to a changing situation and planning-- and acting-- accordingly. They're not looking for a handout; they're finding creative ways to make their retirement dollars stretch further. I applaud them for it.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:47 PM

105 posts, read 213,115 times
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood
I'm curious how many of you know people who are rethinking life in America due to this financial mess, bailout and the higher taxes and lower standard of living that seem destined to follow?

Chuck22b brought this up on another thread and I found it interesting, because it's something I used to never hear about and now I hear it discussed all the time. I know people who have switched, or are thinking about switching, their retirement plans to retire outside America. I know people who have bought homes or land in other countries-- mostly sunny, tropical, less expensive locales. These days, when the talk turns to real estate, it seems just as likely to focus on bargains elsewhere as bargains here. If I had to describe the general demeanor of Americans I meet and talk to, it's "fed up."

In California, lots of people are voting with their feet... but is this the fate of America as well? And if the well-to-do leave, how will this reshape the country over the next few decades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Go back to 1998-1999 and look at what Futurists were saying.

Futurists are individuals/groups that examine and predict future trends in a number of different areas, such as life-style, technology, government, military, medicine, retail etc.

The Futurists were predicting a mass emigration from the US.

Naturally, of course, they never state the "why" behind their prediction trends. In other words, they never explain how or why they arrived at the conclusion that technology would be developed in certain area, they just state it as so, however they have an uncanny way of being correct for the most part.

I can see people leaving the US for jobs, since there won't be any very shortly, and I can also see older people fleeing the US for areas where their retirement income will go farther and give them a greater quality of life.

I can also see people fleeing because of the future political and social climate in the US.
The Coming Exodus of America?

First: I believe that from the Federal Government will come very, very, very high taxes on the middle and lower class in many different forms as many with large amounts of cash will try to convert their rapidly going down the hole wealth in the form of hard currency world wide to save their buying power.

Second: At some point in the future there will arise many left and right political demigods that will try to take advantage of the falling conditions in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada in the future. Much slite of hand and brain washing will be attempted.

Third: At some point in the future political small amounts of attacks against persons and groups will begin to happen as has happened in many countrys to this day. At that point the Federal military will step in and at that point the republic has come to a close. Not a anti military statment but I believe it will happen. They will be demonized by many and have much suspicion casted on them when they had to step in.

I believe these things will happen in the future and don't want them to happen to anyone. I don't like to see persons go through hard times but a hard road is coming to most in the West in the future.

Can the U.S. deal with a Federal debt load of 18, 23, 35, 45, 65, 75 Trillion dollars and survive with out destroying persons wealth by the printing press? Can this country survive with the border conditions as they presently are without growing civil unrest in the future? Can the U.S. deal with very, very, very large amounts of poor needy elderly without mass killing them off? How would many feel if many in D.C. try to sell the country down the river for easy fixes by trying to form a new country for self glory, trying to erase its debt load by these actions, and a certain very old false "Church" for religious reasons? Maybe they will like the bowl of soup that is handed to them. Can the military act with insight when it is attacked without resorting to death squads in the future? Could it even fall apart from with in? Could mass hatered against persons arise even in this country in the future? Could many become scape goats for others problums like the Jews like what is starting to happen again in Europe? Could there be other reasons why persons may try to leave North America in the future any way they can?

Theres nothing really new under the sun and history really just repeats its self. Many countrys have tride to buck the rules of this age and are part of history. I don't say these thing becouse I hate the west or the U.S. but as a warning and because of love for my country and the West as I sadly see so many negative treads now and many rapidly approaching on the horizon. Many can see but most choose to be blind.

Last edited by Gematria; 10-03-2008 at 03:24 PM..

Old 10-03-2008, 05:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Germatria,
I think you need professional help. Enough with the Doomsday already.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Invest in Prozac! I'm guessing it'll soon be passed out like it was in a Pez dispenser or left in candy dishes by everyones door!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:09 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
In L.A., it's called party favors.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
...Switzerland, Australia or NZ would be my first bet. The Swiss have a more liberal gun ownership policy, as observed by the photo. Australia doesn't allow semi rifles like the AK easily, but I'm cool with being restricted to bolt action for the economic freedoms I'd gain there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
.....The Swiss have a stronger currency, huge gold reserves, and will always be a source for secret accounts, regardless of how much the US wants to "tighten the screws". They are more financially sound than most countries in the world, and also have a decent export market.
I actually happen to be a dual citizen, American and Swiss, though I consider myself to be American with a bit of Swiss cultural heritage. I could emigrate tomorrow if I wanted to, and had the money for travel and relocation.

I can't represent myself as knowing everything about Switzerland since it's not that important to me (and I've never even set foot in the country), but maybe I could offer a couple of warnings.

The assault weapons are military issue to Swiss citizens, who don't actually own them. Disturbingly, the govt has the right to come into the home to inspect them at any time. As far as a right to own personal weapons, it varies tremendously from canton to canton (which are something like our counties/states) .... some of the cantons are quite restrictive about such rights, others don't care much about what guys own or do with their guns ..... but here's the kicker: the gun rights are for citizens, and it's extremely hard to gain citizenship.

Maybe you could become a citizen after 2-3 decades of living in one neighborhood and becoming well-liked there. I believe your community has to recommend you for citizenship and vote in favor, or something like that - I forget the details.

Also, Switzerland has gone off the gold standard and has sold quite a lot of its gold reserves. I think much of it went into increasing their version of Social Security and medical coverage.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Germatria,
I think you need professional help. Enough with the Doomsday already.
I think someone is burying their head in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics