Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,468,504 times

Advertisements

Markets are skyrocketing today! What gives? Maybe it's *GASP* not as bad as the media made it out to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 AM

523 posts, read 2,913,008 times
I am very against the bailout plan in principle. I'm a big fan of a free market economy and I hate that we have to rescue people who made bad financial decisions. (I made bad investment decisions in 1999/2000 with my tech stocks and no one bailed me out and I didn't expect them to.) However, with all of that said, we do have a major credit freeze which is making it hard for people to sell their homes because people can't get financing (although, I can't find any hard facts on how difficult this actually is if the borrower's credit doesn't suck), it's impossible for people to open new businesses or expand small businesses because they can't get financing, banks won't lend to each other, etc. All of this is much bigger mess than the 1% of people who are foreclosing on homes. If we look at the bigger picture, the bailout plan is probably needed. Again, I hate the idea of the plan in principle but I think in reality this plan, or some other viable solution will need to be put into place.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 AM

9,483 posts, read 14,447,108 times
The media is saying because of hopes for a revived bailout on Thursday. Not sure if I believe that.

The USD has gained 300 points on the EUR, but mainly because Europe has its own, maybe even worse, problems. It has recovered less against the JPY even though Japan right now is also fighting to stave off a recession. The whole world is.

I am still hopeful that people in the real economy - including sober loan officers at banks - realize that the bailout is an unnecessary gift to bad risk managers and unproductive deadbeats throughout the economy, and that, short of a day-to-day payments system crisis, we are mature enough to weather the consequences of the upcoming recession and that no one is going to starve to death, even though certain komrades would have us think otherwise.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM

9,483 posts, read 14,447,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post

or some other viable solution will need to be put into place.
There are already viable solutions in place; for example, the FDIC brokered an orderly unwinding of two banks over the past few days and it has extended its guarantees to money market funds (not sure if the FDIC or some other agencies) and both Obama and some House republicans have proposed to raise the insurance limit to $250,000.

Though we may not all like the idea of only 3 or 4 large banks in the US, we should support that, with a view to competing globally, rather than handing over the power to allocate another $700 billion to the same cabal of swindlers that has already misallocated some $2 trillion.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 PM

23,693 posts, read 70,888,254 times
Talking News flash

News flash - In light of the current credit crisis, the heads of the Fed and SEC have announced that they are changing their emblems from an eagle to a new symbol that more accurately reflects their current position as go-betweens for Washington and Wall Street, a cluster of day-glow condoms held aloft by a call girl posed as the Statue of Liberty.

They now hope to provide a number of brightly colored enticing choices to fit the individual members of Congress, then plan on stroking the more rigid lawmakers for safe yet stimulating inflationary movement, enticing them into fast issue of new sources of undercover funding, deposited in deeply hidden pockets. This is to be accomplished by going through a pantomime of torrid public action, while simultaneously blocking any true creativity. The excitement generated by these actions towards Congress is expected to result in a huge payoff from a small number of big jerks.

The current mandate from the market now also corrals an entire generation for ultimate flushing down the tubes, protects a bunch of Wall Street pr*cks, and offers taxpayers a glowing sense of security while being shafted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics