Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 02:25 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,310,255 times

Advertisements

Congress Approves Protectionist Measure That Could Spark Trade War

Major partners, including the European Union and Canada, say the legislation favoring U.S. steel, iron and manufactured goods for government projects could undermine pledges by the leaders of major economies not to resort to protectionism during the world economic downturn.

"In several television interviews last week, he [Obama] said the stimulus package should not include protectionist language that could trigger a trade war. But now that it does, he is likely to sign it anyway. The measures appear, however, to give the administration discretion about how to implement spending decisions, given the requirement of meeting trade obligations."

Congress Approves Protectionist Measure That Could Spark Trade War - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2009/02/13/congress-approves-protectionist-measure-spark-trade-war/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,697 times
Oh my ****ing God, these politicians are TRULY stupid. It proves my point: just because you have an Ivy degree doesn't mean you're not an idiot. Did they sleep through history class, or just not go? Everyone (who is decently versed in history) knows that protectionist measures made things worse during the depression. They just love repeating mistakes....

Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 PM

690 posts, read 2,109,161 times
Hmm...I wonder. Maybe they're just protecting the industries that their Ivy League classmates work in right now?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,170,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Oh my ****ing God, these politicians are TRULY stupid. It proves my point: just because you have an Ivy degree doesn't mean you're not an idiot. Did they sleep through history class, or just not go? Everyone (who is decently versed in history) knows that protectionist measures made things worse during the depression. They just love repeating mistakes....

i used to think they were stupid, then i realized that many were intelligent and complete theives
we make the mistake of thinking that they act in our best interests which is rarely the case

Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,382,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
i used to think they were stupid, then i realized that many were intelligent and complete theives
we make the mistake of thinking that they act in our best interests which is rarely the case

Hi bxlefty23,

I believe this is absolutely the case. The depression makes it easier to steal because they have a cover. They are not trying to help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics