Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,285,369 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
Found this neat site that shows trade information for the US to the world and State by State comparisons. It surprised me, but the top Five States in the US are:

http://tse.export.gov/MapFrameset.aspx?MapPage=SEDMapStateDisplay.aspx&U niqueURL=zzoexc451bwslb45sknpod55-2008-8-1-18-57-28 (broken link)

Exports 2007:
Texas - 168 billion
California - 134 billion
New York - 69 billion
Washington - 66 billion
Illinois - 48 billion

What surprised me was Texas, but I guess they're selling off our oil to the highest bidder there

-chuck22b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Well, they do say "Everything's bigger in Texas"

Old 08-02-2008, 02:00 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,158,323 times
Quote:
What surprised me was Texas, but I guess they're selling off our oil to the highest bidder there
Why? Texas is doing really well. Its attracting business and talent from across the country. If California doesn't improve, Austin is one of the top places we have in mind to relocate. Anyhow, it would be more interesting to look at exports per capita. I'm too lazy to do it though.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,377,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Why? Texas is doing really well. Its attracting business and talent from across the country. If California doesn't improve, Austin is one of the top places we have in mind to relocate. Anyhow, it would be more interesting to look at exports per capita. I'm too lazy to do it though.
I heard tons of ex Californians are pushing into Texas and Tennessee by the bus loads.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,967,795 times
In 2007, the top ten Texas commodities exported (in terms of dollar value) were chemicals, computer and electronic products, nonelectrical machinery, transportation equipment, petroleum and coal products, electrical equipment, primary metals, fabricated metals, agricultural products and food and kindred products.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I heard tons of ex Californians are pushing into Texas and Tennessee by the bus loads.
I don't know anybody that has gone to Tennessee, but certainly many are going to Texas. Its funny, uhauls from California to another state are 2~3x times the cost as uhauls to some other state to California. This is a good indicator that a lot more people are leaving the state then coming in.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know anybody that has gone to Tennessee, but certainly many are going to Texas. Its funny, uhauls from California to another state are 2~3x times the cost as uhauls to some other state to California. This is a good indicator that a lot more people are leaving the state then coming in.
Everything is always greener on the other side of the fence. California's population is still growing ~1% every year from immigration/natural births. Net Domestic migration is negative which is what your talking about. Overall though, I think it's good that Californians are spreading out (since California and New York are traditionally gateway States). If you look at GDP growth on the outlying States surrounding California, the West has grown considerably in the last 10 years. I'm sure outmigration from California has been a good contribution to this. Maybe Californians spreading across the Country will influence social, political ideology also

GDP by State

Meanwhile, we can always replant the seeds on this side of the fence so that'll it'll grow greener in the future.

The main thing that's nice to see is that overall, US Exports have been increasing noticeably in the last 3-5 years .

-chuck22b

Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Everything is always greener on the other side of the fence.
At times things are really greener on the other side. Not all places are equivalent. Furthermore, at least all the people that I have known that have left did NOT do it because they thought the "grass is greener on the other side", but rather due to the ridiculous cost of living. When your average family can't even afford a 2-bedroom condo you know you have a problem.

Quote:
Net Domestic migration is negative which is what your talking about.
Right, but recent numbers haven't been published yet. Using other guide posts the pace of out migration is likely to be higher now. The housing costs in California are simply too high. Its not just the purchase price, but rents too. People will keep leaving so long as these unbalances exist.

Regardless, your "surprise" about Texas and your further comment about their oil is rather telling. Californian's often have a warped sense of the Country, they think California is superior and other states are basically third world back water. But interesting if you look at Texas's GDP in terms of their population the numbers are almost identical to California. And yet the median price of a house in Texas is dramatically less than California...hmm....

Quote:
Maybe Californians spreading across the Country will influence social, political ideology also
What ideology is that, fund massive government programs by debt? Vanity? Honestly, I think the rest of the country will do just fine without Californians spreading their views to them.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
At times things are really greener on the other side. Not all places are equivalent. Furthermore, at least all the people that I have known that have left did NOT do it because they thought the "grass is greener on the other side", but rather due to the ridiculous cost of living. When your average family can't even afford a 2-bedroom condo you know you have a problem.

Right, but recent numbers haven't been published yet. Using other guide posts the pace of out migration is likely to be higher now. The housing costs in California are simply too high. Its not just the purchase price, but rents too. People will keep leaving so long as these unbalances exist.

Regardless, your "surprise" about Texas and your further comment about their oil is rather typical for Californians. They tend to think everyone wants to live in California and everywhere else in the country is some sort of third world. Surprise, surprise other states are attracting business and talent and states like California will become bankrupt (well...in a way it already is) if they don't change.

What ideology is that, fund massive government programs by debt? Vanity? Honestly, I think the rest of the country will do just fine without Californians spreading their views to them.
I don't think other places are better/worse than California. All the States contribute to the Union. That's why I'm glad that the Country as a whole has progressively higher exports through the last 3-5 years.

I think the other States directly/indirectly benefit from Californians leaving California and that is why I showed the GDP growth in the West. I have no problems with people leaving the State.

Housing costs has dramatically fell in the last year... more so in California than most other States. This should help out with the affordability issues. Furthermore just because LA/Coast/OC/San Fran is super expensive doesn't mean people AND businesses can't move Inland where it's "cheaper" and more business "friendly". Lot's of businesses and people have already moved inland. The environment inland is probably similar to Texas... with similar prices.

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 08-04-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Furthermore just because LA/Coast/OC/San Fran is super expensive doesn't mean people AND businesses can't move Inland where it's "cheaper" and more business "friendly". Lot's of businesses and people have already moved inland. The environment inland is probably similar to Texas... with similar prices.
Huh? The business environment in inland California is little different than other areas, its the state that is the problem. Its corporate taxes (and personal for that matter) are very high. The only thing that is cheaper in inland California is property, but at least at the moment it isn't that cheap given what you are getting.

The problem is also that the inland empire isn't that desirable. Sure there are nicer areas, but in general its not all that nice. Even in 2000 the median in Riverside was about the same as the median in Austin (actually Austin is less, but the property taxes are more so its about even). But which city would your average educated worker rather live in? I would suggest Austin by far... Regardless all of this speaks of massive corrections in California's future. Property is going to have to drop dramatically and the state is going to have to reduce spending dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics