Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times

Advertisements

Just FYI...this is not the first time Congress has eyed the trillions of dollars just sitting in 401K accounts.

In return they will "invest" it for you and give you back an allowance of 3% via an annuity. 3% to live on....of YOUR money.

It's not enough they've bankrupted SS, they are now going (or talking of) after 401K money.

Federal Mutual Fund - IBD - Investors.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,522,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just FYI...this is not the first time Congress has eyed the trillions of dollars just sitting in 401K accounts.

In return they will "invest" it for you and give you back an allowance of 3% via an annuity. 3% to live on....of YOUR money.

It's not enough they've bankrupted SS, they are now going (or talking of) after 401K money.

don't think it will happen, too many have good representation from Smith and Wesson.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
This pinhead proposal was also bandied around in late 2008.

I think if they make a move to seize all this and I think the dimocrats will because so many of them are closet communists, you'll collapse the stock market and any private investment in business. Which means no new jobs, no new technology, no new business development, no new products and so on. You'd neuter the US economy driving more companies and talent overseas.

I just can't believe there are so many weakling followers out there that believe in this malarkey. Government programs never make anything better. Social security is a collapsing ponzi scheme, medicare is a unbelievable mess, we've had welfare and food stamps for decades and still the same people sitting on their porch selling drugs.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,865,639 times
Quote:

Isn't all that 401k money already invested, how can they invest it again? The money is not just sitting in a bag in a vault, it was used to buy stocks and bonds and other crap.
What I don't trust is the Roth IRA's all you suckers that think your going to get that money tax free down the road are living in a dream land.

bill

Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 AM

188 posts, read 268,125 times
Quote:

This is why you don't become involved in anything that involves the gov't. This is the exact reason I refuse to open a 401K, you are limited as to the type of investments and the gov't "promises" you don't pay taxes until you take it out, or initially when you put money in. I just don't trust the gov't, they constantly change rules so its best not to put any faith in them and stay clear.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,881,898 times
The government steals... so what's new? I will empty my 401k and pay the penalty before that ever happens... there was a lady who wanted that to happen when Obama became president... was it Sheila Blair? Can't remember... she basically said the government could steal that money so that it could continue their spending on social services... if she likes it so much the government should confiscate all her money and assets and give her a monthly paycheck of $2000 and forced labor and see how she likes her own plan... what an idiot... Just looked it up.. it was Teresa Ghilarducci...

Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,594,577 times
The worst time for annuities is when interest rates are very low. This is another case where private industry is using the government to promote its products, not always in the best interest of the public.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,196,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
don't think it will happen, too many have good representation from Smith and Wesson.
You might want to re-think that.

This is part of a concerted effort. The attack on tobacco was instigated to force city, county, state, union and company pension plans and private investors to shift those investments from tobacco into other sectors of the economy.

Why do you think the government passed a law forcing everyone into a 401(k) unless they specifically opt out?

Those were Steps 1 & 2.

Step 3 is taking over the pension plans.

That should tell you that someone is very frightened about the future long term economic prosperity of the US.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The government steals... so what's new? I will empty my 401k and pay the penalty before that ever happens... there was a lady who wanted that to happen when Obama became president... was it Sheila Blair? Can't remember... she basically said the government could steal that money so that it could continue their spending on social services... if she likes it so much the government should confiscate all her money and assets and give her a monthly paycheck of $2000 and forced labor and see how she likes her own plan... what an idiot... Just looked it up.. it was Teresa Ghilarducci...
Yes Mark Levin had a hilarious interview with her at the time I remember listening to. What a bimbo.

I'm the same, the government makes a move to take my IRA and I'm selling out and closing it, even paying penalties, don't care. F them.

I think the problem is so many people with a child like mentality that look to the government as mommy and daddy and are incapable of making decisions for themselves.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM

20,730 posts, read 19,392,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
This pinhead proposal was also bandied around in late 2008.

I think if they make a move to seize all this and I think the dimocrats will because so many of them are closet communists, you'll collapse the stock market and any private investment in business. Which means no new jobs, no new technology, no new business development, no new products and so on. You'd neuter the US economy driving more companies and talent overseas.

I just can't believe there are so many weakling followers out there that believe in this malarkey. Government programs never make anything better. Social security is a collapsing ponzi scheme, medicare is a unbelievable mess, we've had welfare and food stamps for decades and still the same people sitting on their porch selling drugs.

Hi wanneroo,

Amazing how little attention is paid to what will actually be produced. 3% return on a dollar that buys nothing new is not an investment. Investing in SS is investing in nothing other than austerity and ponzi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics