Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,015 times

Advertisements

I just filled up for 3.29, so I guess the speculation of "not dropping much below $3.50" might end up not being true. I can only hope that it drops below $3

I would be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Yep, I hope it drops back down below $3. Then when it goes back up all the people will crawl back out of the woodwork with threads like....

"Why does gas only go up"
"Gas goes up 20 cents but never goes down 20 cents in a day"
"Gas will be $12 a gallon by Christmas"

Seems like all the conspiracy guys have ran away....oh wait, no they have morphed into the "coming down for the election guys".

Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
The trend is for oil to be higher every year. That trend will continue. I should be completely off oil by next year if the real estate values keep falling.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:48 AM

38 posts, read 192,523 times
Gas takes the major role in our economy. If it's price go high, everything will follow. I don't think we can do something for this as an ordinary citizen. Keep fingers crossed.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
If the overall trend line in the US continues to be to drive and buy less (we suck up and burn a disproportional amount of the world supply of the stuff) the production will go into surplus (as it is, now).

Even if production stays flat -- as it has for the last three years -- and our demand goes down, the price goes down. Pretty simple world in that regard. The real trick ahead is to keep our demand falling ahead of the expected worldwide fall in production. If can keep our future demand below future production, it is a soft landing all the way down. But that is on the big picture level.

On the individual level you save (and save big) on every gallon you do not buy and burn whether the price is $3, $4, $5, or even above or below.

But overall I have to give praise where there is praise to be given. Good work, America!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM

77 posts, read 238,249 times
Do people talk about drilling within our own borders b/c they only care about themselves and not the future generations? Oil WILL run out and the longer you put it off the better. So you pay a little more now so your great great grandchildren will reap the rewards. When all of the oil dries out across the globe and the U.S taps its reserves i think the US will be sitting pretty. I am sorry if you can't afford the higher prices, but that is from choices you have made in your life. We all might not have started equal, but life is not fair.
It is sad that gas prices are coming down. As someone has stated, the conservation that was created by high prices will disappear now. B/C my tank went from $75 fill up to $50 fill up should not mean i can drive %50 more.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times
I actually frequent some of the peak oil web sites, and there was an article at theoildrum.com, in which Jeff Vail posted:

"...Because the demand that is destroyed first in a free market is the demand that is easiest to eliminate, the resulting consumptive system is more inelastic, more brittle, and more susceptible to systemic shock from supply disruption."

The Oil Drum | Oil Demand Destruction & Brittle Systems

Also, for those of you wanting more information from/on Jeff:

Jeff Vail - Rhizome

In other words, we can cut out unnecessary errands, carpool, etc. right now. But in the end, we are still dependent on oil. As the supply goes down and the price goes up, there's less fat to cut. This is both on a personal level and on a national level. Just because the price of oil has gone down a little, and we're paying less at the pump isn't cause for us to celebrate and think that everything is back to normal. This is merely a little bit of calm before the storm.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
Gustav will fix this soon.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I actually frequent some of the peak oil web sites, and there was an article at theoildrum.com, in which Jeff Vail posted:

"...Because the demand that is destroyed first in a free market is the demand that is easiest to eliminate, the resulting consumptive system is more inelastic, more brittle, and more susceptible to systemic shock from supply disruption."

The Oil Drum | Oil Demand Destruction & Brittle Systems

Also, for those of you wanting more information from/on Jeff:

Jeff Vail - Rhizome

In other words, we can cut out unnecessary errands, carpool, etc. right now. But in the end, we are still dependent on oil. As the supply goes down and the price goes up, there's less fat to cut. This is both on a personal level and on a national level. Just because the price of oil has gone down a little, and we're paying less at the pump isn't cause for us to celebrate and think that everything is back to normal. This is merely a little bit of calm before the storm.
Let's take a look at a few things. Not to take anything away from the quoted source, Jeff Vail, we should nevertheless look at his economic credentials. He has a BS in European History with a minor in German and this year got his law degree.

His overall thought process is driven by the fact that he believes that continued growth is impossible in a finite world and that at some point years in the future mankind will run out of everything, not only oil.

His statement about demand being destroyed first is the easiest to eliminate in a free market is true about anything - food, clothing, water, etc. So we agree. But two things that his argument does not address is the fact that broadly defined items have a lower demand elasticity than narrowly defined items and that time tends to allow initial trends in inelasticity to reverse.

Therefore, as we look over time at a more broady defined item, energy, instead of oil and about the fact that longer timespans mean that the markets will correct by developing alternatives, the argument about the drive to always do less than to strive to do more no longer becomes the discussion driver.

His main beef is with hierarchy in society, not oil prices. He thinks it destroys civilization.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Let's take a look at a few things. Not to take anything away from the quoted source, Jeff Vail, we should nevertheless look at his economic credentials. He has a BS in European History with a minor in German and this year got his law degree.

His overall thought process is driven by the fact that he believes that continued growth is impossible in a finite world and that at some point years in the future mankind will run out of everything, not only oil.

His statement about demand being destroyed first is the easiest to eliminate in a free market is true about anything - food, clothing, water, etc. So we agree. But two things that his argument does not address is the fact that broadly defined items have a lower demand elasticity than narrowly defined items and that time tends to allow initial trends in inelasticity to reverse.

Therefore, as we look over time at a more broady defined item, energy, instead of oil and about the fact that longer timespans mean that the markets will correct by developing alternatives, the argument about the drive to always do less than to strive to do more no longer becomes the discussion driver.

His main beef is with hierarchy in society, not oil prices. He thinks it destroys civilization.
And while the discussion tends to go a little (ok, a LOT) deeper at The Oil Drum, as well, I think they totally missed that the long run effect of short oil or even marginally high priced oil will be substitution -- towards means and methods that do not involve oil.

And yeah, I know that Full-Metal-Jacket-Doomer-Dogma holds there IS NO substitute to oil as it is generally used -- that is of course, just dogma. Not part of the Peak Oil model at all.

But the longer view is that some 100 years from now (or much sooner if we choose) folks will look back at The Age of Oil as we do now the Age of Horses. Will still be some or even plenty around, but not generally used or even needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics