Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM

532 posts, read 1,231,595 times

Advertisements

This would be the best thing that ever happend to our country. This would be a wake up call and a catalyst to get us off oil (and depending on the nutjobs that supply it) This shock value we see now and will continue to see is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:29 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
This would be the best thing that ever happend to our country. This would be a wake up call and a catalyst to get us off oil (and depending on the nutjobs that supply it) This shock value we see now and will continue to see is great.
I agree insomuch as its great to see the free market set the price.

The only problem is that you're seeing reactionary rhetoric on both sides. From the right saying that we should drill in everyone's backyard yesterday and the left saying that we should fine and tax the "speculators" and oil execs to death. Politicians feed off this sentiment and will unfortunately react exactly as the majority would like them to. Furthermore, the majority are ignorant to one of the biggest catalyst of high oil prices, the falling dollar. Blaming the Federal Reserve isn't as hip or cool as blaming Exxon or environmentalists.

An example:

YouTube - Waters: SocializeThe Oil Industry

Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
with all this glee and joy over high gas prices, you better be prepared for what comes with that. It isn't like it (gas prices) will stop climbing and it isn't like the affects of such will be contained to just car gas. Prices will rise as a result as well. people living check to check may find themselves falling behinds on bills, etc.

I do agree in theory with you though.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
with all this glee and joy over high gas prices, you better be prepared for what comes with that. It isn't like it (gas prices) will stop climbing and it isn't like the affects of such will be contained to just car gas. Prices will rise as a result as well. people living check to check may find themselves falling behinds on bills, etc.

Yes, the impacts are very broad with serious declines in the economy that will affect everyone. Higher energy costs will raise the price of everything so you will see it costs more to live at the same time there will be fewer jobs and commercial opportunities.

Just because people want to see us stop using petroleum does not mean there are alternatives. Too many think this is just an issue for private transportation but that is only a quarter of the usage. Petroleum is what has fueled the standard of living we enjoy so expect it to decline unless we do something miraculous to increase supply in this country.

There is nothing to be happy about with this situation.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM

148 posts, read 471,482 times
Quote:

Tremendous amount of people are already far behind on bills, living on ever deepening credit.

People have no clue how much oil we consume outside of our cars. How much oil and petrochemicals goes into producing and delivering our food and keeping us fat and lazy. The amount that goes into producing the packaging for the frivolous crap we buy, and that goes into said frivolous crap in the first place. The wakeup call is long overdue, and there's going to be hell to pay.

Crime is going to be shooting further through the roof, while government services continue to get ever worse.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:21 PM

^^

On that crime note, I am starting to see a LOT more crime spring up here in South Florida. To be honest, I think a lot of people are trivializing how bad things are going to get over the next few years. It is so easy to speak about this in a humorous and nonchalant way. However, when the layoffs hit close to home or your brother/sister isn't able to pay bills anymore because of out of control inflation, the novelty will subside.

I was laid off after 9/11 because I was a network admin working at a financial firm (double whammy). So I know how it is to go for two years without being able to find a serious full time job. I know how it is to just barely get by and I don't wish that on my enemy. So yeah, things are going to get bad. Yes, those who think 4 dollars for gas will be the end of the inflation permanently and things will go down from there must live in bizzarro world. Things are going to get far worse than most can possibly imagine. I just hope they are spared the consequences of what comes with all this.

For a glimpse into the future people should look at what happened to Japan in the 90s with their inflationary period, from which they have barely recovered still.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Quote:
^^

On that crime note, I am starting to see a LOT more crime spring up here in South Florida. To be honest, I think a lot of people are trivializing how bad things are going to get over the next few years. It is so easy to speak about this in a humorous and nonchalant way. However, when the layoffs hit close to home or your brother/sister isn't able to pay bills anymore because of out of control inflation, the novelty will subside.

I was laid off after 9/11 because I was a network admin working at a financial firm (double whammy). So I know how it is to go for two years without being able to find a serious full time job. I know how it is to just barely get by and I don't wish that on my enemy. So yeah, things are going to get bad. Yes, those who think 4 dollars for gas will be the end of the inflation permanently and things will go down from there must live in bizzarro world. Things are going to get far worse than most can possibly imagine. I just hope they are spared the consequences of what comes with all this.

For a glimpse into the future people should look at what happened to Japan in the 90s with their inflationary period, from which they have barely recovered still.
Funny how when I was saying this in the past, many just called it "negative". Now more and more people agree. South Florida is the nation's barometer, we suffer first then the rest of the country. For our future just look at Argentina.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 PM

I don't think I ever called you negative in the Florida forum. I generally agreed with you and CJFlorida. You two were among the FEW who actually "get it". Ish is real right now, I don't think a lot of people fathom how things are going to play out. I blame the internet though. People go Google information, much of it bad, they don't have the ability or the knowledge to properly dissect economic information and then they come up thinking they know everything. They are going to be in for a rude awakening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Funny how when I was saying this in the past, many just called it "negative". Now more and more people agree. South Florida is the nation's barometer, we suffer first then the rest of the country. For our future just look at Argentina.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I thnik that looking at Florida is like looking at vegas and others that rely on tourism. It will suffer as peole divert money to other basic needs. But other areas are going well and will continue.Florida needs to have a more dvverse econmy and this is the type of thing that will bring it about.On the plus side once the housing market bubble damage becomes apparent thngs will get better. With the lower dollar florida will be a atrtactive place for firegners wre the economy is good. many countries like brizil are floating in oil money and europeans will see florida as a much more atrtactive vacation destination cost wise. I don't however see florida as the nations barometer as it is just so different econmy wise.The same way as the nation suffers little when a hurricane hits florida but does when it hits Louisana;alabama or texas which causes the energy market will go into a tail spin.It often causes a increase in construction jobs in florida but the tourist loss is a trade- off really.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik that looking at Florida is like looking at vegas and others that rely on tourism. It will suffer as peole divert money to other basic needs. But other areas are going well and will continue.Florida needs to have a more dvverse econmy and this is the type of thing that will bring it about.On the plus side once the housing market bubble damage becomes apparent thngs will get better. With the lower dollar florida will be a atrtactive place for firegners wre the economy is good. many countries like brizil are floating in oil money and europeans will see florida as a much more atrtactive vacation destination cost wise. I don't however see florida as the nations barometer as it is just so different econmy wise.The same way as the nation suffers little when a hurricane hits florida but does when it hits Louisana;alabama or texas which causes the energy market will go into a tail spin.It often causes a increase in construction jobs in florida but the tourist loss is a trade- off really.
The problem right now is not just a housing bubble. Nationally many areas are starting to slow down. There are some exceptions but for the most part nationally we are in a recession or near one. Texas has the benefit of having oil which is what's driving that place right now (That is according to one report I listened to on NPR). NYC is slowing down and their economy is pretty diverse, Nashville is slowing and they have a decent economy as well, so is Atlanta and many other metro areas. I agree Florida needs to diversify its economy but I don't see it happening, the powers that be are not that progressive. As for this foreign money, the Florida Department of Commerce reported that foreign investment in Florida is WAY down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics