Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 08:27 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,533,643 times

Advertisements

The great American tax haven: why the super-rich love South Dakota - theguardian.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 AM

1,417 posts, read 738,184 times
Its not just the super wealthy : )

Old 11-17-2019, 10:12 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,128,577 times
I was not aware that South Dakota was a haven for the super rich. I do know that South Dakota has been a haven for several hundred thousand Americans who do not live in the State. I was one of them for several years. No State income tax is only one of the attractions. In addition it is easy to become a resident and to maintain residency while traveling. The lack of an annual vehicle inspection also helps. The low costs for vehicle insurance and medical insurance also help. Overall the State is friendly for those of us who were or are full time RVers.

I can give endless examples. When I started as a full time RV traveler, I set up a mailing service a few weeks in advance. I traveled to SD and stayed overnight in an RV park. The next day I went to the DMV with the park receipt and a bank statement showing my SD mailing service address. Within a couple of hours, I was a resident with a SD drivers license and vehicle registration. I visited an insurance agent and updated my vehicle and health insurance policies. We spent a couple of weeks in the State visiting some spectacular places and then left without returning for years. When my driver's license was stolen in California, SD sent me a temporary replacement and I had it printed at a UPS office. The replacement came in the mail a few days later. My annual vehicle registration was handled by my mailing service for an extra $20 fee.

I was sad when I bought a house in NY and had to give up my SD residency. In addition to thousands in income tax, it cost us an additional $2000 each for medicare supplemental insurance.

BTW, SD is an absolutely beautiful, greatly overlooked State. Unfortunately, winter is long and bitter cold.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:20 PM

8,107 posts, read 12,837,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

I was sad when I bought a house in NY and had to give up my SD residency. In addition to thousands in income tax, it cost us an additional $2000 each for medicare supplemental insurance.

BTW, SD is an absolutely beautiful, greatly overlooked State. Unfortunately, winter is long and bitter cold.
You bought a house as well. How are the property taxes?

Old 11-17-2019, 08:51 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,466,800 times
Doesnt WY have the same effect? In Jackson the Billionaires have priced out the millionaires.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,015,005 times
The rich love it because South Dakota wants their money, so they set up regulations, or dont set up regulations to cater to these people, and attract them to spend their money there.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,777 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The rich love it because South Dakota wants their money, so they set up regulations, or dont set up regulations to cater to these people, and attract them to spend their money there.
Please provide examples. I know of very few rich folks who actually live in SD. If is usually just a mailings addy,. They register their vehicles in MT (no sales tax, no inspections). They don't live there either.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:22 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,352,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Doesnt WY have the same effect? In Jackson the Billionaires have priced out the millionaires.
That’s different. Jackson Hole is another Aspen. A resort town for the wealthy. That’s different from a tax avoidance state. The entertainment industry uses Nashville for that. Tennessee has no state income tax so people you’d expect to live in California or NYC have their tax address in Tennessee. Lots of New Yorkers use Florida the same way.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:33 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,015,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Please provide examples. I know of very few rich folks who actually live in SD. If is usually just a mailings addy,. They register their vehicles in MT (no sales tax, no inspections). They don't live there either.
Is what the article is stating. If article is stating truth, I giving the generalized reason. I dont have specific examples.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:57 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,634,828 times
I sure hope some of them start outbidding Sanford from putting his name on everything.

I plan on retiring there. My retirement accounts have always shown me living there. Quite a bit of money is being paid for pretty places near Custer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics