Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 10:53 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,313,347 times

Advertisements

I like South Dakota because there's no state income tax, but I also have probably the highest paying manufacturing job in the state. I wouldn't live here if I was making average money, especially on the east side of the state, because of the excessive cold weather.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this state's laws. That's why we have all these states... find one that fits your political and economic outlook on life, has the climate you want, etc. There's a state for just about everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 02:21 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,321,897 times
I always believe that South Dakota is a less regulated state even when compared with New Hampshire which seems leaning towards New England idealism due to its location being surrounded by other states.

Though what really disappointed about South Dakota is how started a sweeping movement that overturned Quill Corp. v. North Dakota (1992) with South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., 585 2018. I am even more surprised this happened under the Trump Adminstration and not under the Obama adminstration when FATCA came about which I am surprised Trump has not repealed it yet(despite having a republican controlled house/senate once), as I bet it had probably affected Trump's own assets overseas as well as many of his partner corporations.
I used to really look toward South Dakota as the most desirable tax friendly state however after this I am really disappointed with South Dakota. I heard New Hampshire got really mad of this movement.
The long standing ruling that forbids states from interfering with interstate commerce with sales or use taxes had been destroyed by this ruling.
I am surprised its not a tax savage state that done it, however tax savage states immediately took notice and took it to their advantage.
Amazon is a hypocrite as they had changed their stance from anti interstate taxation to now voluntarily collecting taxes in the remaining states that did not ask them to do so nor do they don't have a presence in any form. However they don't pay federal income tax on their own incomes.
I be beginning to rethink whether South Dakota is still desirable for nomads to declare their defacto domicile?

Old 02-24-2020, 06:51 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with this state's laws. That's why we have all these states... find one that fits your political and economic outlook on life, has the climate you want, etc. There's a state for just about everyone.
This. I know, as an Arizonan by choice, I'm damn sick and tired of people moving here and being outraged at our laws and wanting to change them. Move back to California if those laws are so great! Leave us alone!

Old 02-24-2020, 10:17 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,482,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
This. I know, as an Arizonan by choice, I'm damn sick and tired of people moving here and being outraged at our laws and wanting to change them. Move back to California if those laws are so great! Leave us alone!
Maybe you can lobby the state to build a wall.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:31 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,532,750 times
A billionaire divorce case is revealing more about South Dakota's secretive trusts:

Billionaire divorce uncovers secretive world of trusts in South Dakota - CNBC

Old 05-11-2020, 01:58 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,209,759 times
And at the end of the day, you're living in South Dakota.

Yes, I've been there. Family throughout the region, mostly farmers.

A perfect example of how tax rates are inversely proportional to the desirability of a place to live in. Sort of the financial version of "You can live forever by giving up everything that makes life worthwhile."

But I guess if your low-tax compound has a chopper pad or a runway, it doesn't really matter where you lay your head. "Lunch in the Loop, dear?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics