Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 11:53 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,860,919 times

Advertisements

I'm all for states freedom to enact laws specific to them, although this does seem too lenient in my mind.

Either way, what surprises me most is this paragraph:

"Among those in the know were the lawyers of Leona Helmsley, the legendarily mean hotel heiress, who coined the phrase “only the little people pay taxes”. When Helmsley died in 2007, she left $12m in trust for the care of her dog, a maltese called Trouble. Trouble dined on crab cakes and kobe beef, and the trust provided her with $8,000 a year for grooming and $100,000 for security guards, who protected her against kidnappings, as well as against reprisals from the people that she bit. When a New York court – not entirely unreasonably – decided to restrain this expenditure, trustees moved the trust to South Dakota, which had crafted “purpose trusts” with just such a client in mind. Other states impose limits on how a purpose trust can care for a pet, on the principle that perhaps there are better things to do with millions of dollars than groom a dog, but South Dakota takes no chances. The client is always right."

12million FOR A DOG?!?! Could you imagine being the security guard getting paid $100,000/yr to take care of a dog? Talk about dream job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 10:05 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,618,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You bought a house as well. How are the property taxes?
This. They get you on the property taxes. Also, why even bother if your going to be living away 8-9 months of the year.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:40 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,676,819 times
Helmsley most likely died without a single friend in the world to take care of her dog.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:12 PM

1,274 posts, read 981,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I'm all for states freedom to enact laws specific to them, although this does seem too lenient in my mind.

"Among those in the know were the lawyers of Leona Helmsley, the legendarily mean hotel heiress, who coined the phrase “only the little people pay taxes”. When Helmsley died in 2007, she left $12m in trust for the care of her dog, a maltese called Trouble. Trouble dined on crab cakes and kobe beef, and the trust provided her with $8,000 a year for grooming and $100,000 for security guards, who protected her against kidnappings, as well as against reprisals from the people that she bit. When a New York court – not entirely unreasonably – decided to restrain this expenditure, trustees moved the trust to South Dakota, which had crafted “purpose trusts” with just such a client in mind. Other states impose limits on how a purpose trust can care for a pet, on the principle that perhaps there are better things to do with millions of dollars than groom a dog, but South Dakota takes no chances. The client is always right."

12million FOR A DOG?!?! Could you imagine being the security guard getting paid $100,000/yr to take care of a dog? Talk about dream job.
I'd argue I need $250,000 or $300,000, even as a security guard.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 AM

5,775 posts, read 11,414,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Its not just the super wealthy : )
Here in southern Arizona, it is common to see vehicles with South Dakota license plates in the October to April peak visitor season. I would guess most are like me, retired with a decent income but not in the ranks of the 1 percent. Many own a condo or mobile home here, or stay here in a large RV for several months to avoid the winter season in South Dakota. Many might not live at all in South Dakota, but just use it as a home address through a private mailbox service.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:01 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,092,439 times
lol....super rich aren't moving to SD to save a few bucks. They can live wherever they want, they're super rich!

Old 12-05-2019, 07:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,383,510 times
Well, there's a super-rich entity in South Dakota, but it's a corporation, not an individual - Citibank. They put their credit card operations there to get around state usury laws that limit the interest they can charge consumers on their balances.

Chase uses Delaware for the same reason.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:02 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,671,635 times
Quote:

Where is the problem here?

It was her money to do with as she wished. Who are you to come around, and say "I disapprove of how your money is being spent, I am going to force it to be spent on my priorities"?

What, exactly, is your concern with that paragraph?

Old 12-06-2019, 11:03 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,671,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Here in southern Arizona, it is common to see vehicles with South Dakota license plates in the October to April peak visitor season. I would guess most are like me, retired with a decent income but not in the ranks of the 1 percent. Many own a condo or mobile home here, or stay here in a large RV for several months to avoid the winter season in South Dakota. Many might not live at all in South Dakota, but just use it as a home address through a private mailbox service.
Yup, our beloved snowbirds

Old 12-08-2019, 12:53 PM

3,774 posts, read 4,120,461 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Where is the problem here?

It was her money to do with as she wished. Who are you to come around, and say "I disapprove of how your money is being spent, I am going to force it to be spent on my priorities"?

What, exactly, is your concern with that paragraph?
Yes, it is her money and she should have the right to decide how to spend it. Shame on New York and other states for not allowing the wishes of the deceased to be fulfilled.

And while we are talking about Leona, yes she had her quirks and eccentricities, but she left a lot of money to provide hospitals and health care for those who aren't as well off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics