Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't think workforce reduction is the issue.
Yeah we do. Especially and dramatically so at the bottom end.

Quote:
The issue we are facing is we aren't seeing much job growth
These are essentially the same thing.

With rather few exceptions... the jobs that need to be done are getting done. tyvm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't think workforce reduction is the issue. The issue we are facing is we aren't seeing much job growth, and the few new jobs created don't pay the bills. Folks working in a traditionally well paying occupation with less competition don't have much exposure to the situation facing the bottom rung, and perhaps the majority of the workforce.
I feel you are spot on.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM

651 posts, read 863,722 times
its gotten worse ever since the federal reserve went into power.

all down hill from there.

The down hill accelerated when delinked from the gold standard (printing of the 60's).

we are living on borrowed time now. I mean look at how bad the politics of America are today? Horrid.

You really think a company will willingly open a company here if they have a choice? I wouldn't.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Slowly better. We need a combination of jobs picking up and Americans coming to grips to what their worth in the job market is. Seems a lot of people want to live like the used to during the bubble.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
and Americans coming to grips to what their worth in the job market is...
...in comparison to the few too many siblings, spouses and cousins they are directly competing with.
Supply and demand economics suks... when YOU are the one too much in supply.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM

19,064 posts, read 27,635,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Realistically, are things on the upswing or downswing?
As usual.
When they asked a wise man, how is he doing, he said:
Worse than yesterday,
But better than tomorrow.

Hope you get it.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,089,708 times
I think things are going to get worse...a LOT worse. I think there are too many people- too many people doing nothing but still wanting to be housed, clothed and fed, too many people doing too many things that aren't really necessary, making things that they expect others to buy...but how much crap do people really need?

To my way of thinking, the economy is 'manufactured'- a great show of spinning plates, adding more and more and more and trying to keep them all spinning, but some of them are crashing down and more will follow.

The talking heads all spout about 'growing the economy', but it's all an illusion. You can't keep growing and growing and growing, at some point it's all got to collapse. They should have been pushing for a *stable* economy.

Too many people living in big cities, all rushing about like ants in a hill. But, of what real value is the 'work' that they do? What will happen [to them] when the spinning plates come crashing down and the house of cards blows over?

Those of us who live where we can produce our own food might be in a slightly better position, if we are prepared. I am not one of those 'survivalists' constantly stocking arms and ammunition and food...yet, but I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't completely wrong.

A big war that consumes a large part of the population would solve the problem. I wonder if there are any in Washington who might be having thoughts like that? Will it be here? Or somewhere else?

Of course, there's always 'Soylent Green', too.

But don't worry, Big Brother is watching...and listening to your phone calls, and reading your e-mails and your chats on bulletin boards...No, not really. They wouldn't do that...would they? Don't we have Rights? We used to, once upon a time...is the fairy-tale almost over?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,380,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Realistically, are things on the upswing or downswing?
If you do not distinguish between prosperity or the ratio in financial wealth favoring any particular class, its hard to answer. What' s your goal? I suppose the default is the idea of a majority rise in prosperity. Given the rent seeking and good and services credit starvation, its not too good.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,380,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
As usual.
When they asked a wise man, how is he doing, he said:
Worse than yesterday,
But better than tomorrow.

Hope you get it.
I already have it, and its for sale.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 PM

169 posts, read 193,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
its gotten worse ever since the federal reserve went into power.

all down hill from there.

The down hill accelerated when delinked from the gold standard (printing of the 60's).

we are living on borrowed time now. I mean look at how bad the politics of America are today? Horrid.

You really think a company will willingly open a company here if they have a choice? I wouldn't.
Yep. You can only live on credit/borrowed money/and money printed out of thin air for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics