Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,454,010 times

Advertisements

Where should we put our money instead? Frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,603,684 times
We had several accounts at both WAMU and another large bank about four years ago. Our experiences at WAMU were almost universally negative over an 18-month period, and as soon as we could (some accounts were CDs so we were stuck for a while) we pulled everything out of that bank and went solely with the other. TONS of errors and sloppy paperwork processing at WAMU, impossible to get clear communication going when there were problems, and a general air of incompetence, not only at the branch level but at the regional departmental levels as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that they're having serious problems at any time.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 AM

654 posts, read 3,457,944 times
Sounds like its time to pull out those mattresses......

Old 07-25-2008, 08:06 AM

483 posts, read 1,562,221 times
Seriously people banks are machines and machines often have technical difficulties and even break down, why would that be surprising to anyone? I have a WAMU credit card and have never had an ounce of trouble with them. If they get bought out, no big deal. I also have a mortgage with IndyMac and I am still waiting to see who will end up with my loan, but hey no biggie once again. At first I was bit peeved, but I realize it is just a name change. The more people panic and pull their funds from banks the worse the situation will get with banks, they need those deposits to stay afloat!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
The more people panic and pull their funds from banks the worse the situation will get with banks, they need those deposits to stay afloat!
Unfortunately, people don't realize this. Make sure that you understand the FDIC limits and have your funds distributed properly, even if that means several accounts at different banks. There have been so many Americans "asleep behind the wheel" with their money and now that the economy is a little shakey they start to panic.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,978,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Unfortunately, people don't realize this. Make sure that you understand the FDIC limits and have your funds distributed properly, even if that means several accounts at different banks. There have been so many Americans "asleep behind the wheel" with their money and now that the economy is a little shakey they start to panic.
I wouldn't trust the FDIC. Too many banks set to go bankrupt. Plus I have to file a claim, who knows how long it'll take to get my money assuming the "guarantee" is maintained. Plus if hyperinflation sets in, how much is my nominal net worth actually worth when I finally get my money?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,377,529 times
Washington Mutual used to be a solid, small chain in the Seattle area. Then they got greedy, underwriting subprime loans and buying a credit card company that markets to people with below-average credit. Now, because of their short-sighted greed, they are on the ropes. They expanded too fast, they underwrote loans and credit cards to people that could barely afford them in a strong economy, and they lost track of the values of a small, regional savings and loan bank.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chase or some other larger bank buys them out.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I wouldn't trust the FDIC. Too many banks set to go bankrupt. Plus I have to file a claim, who knows how long it'll take to get my money assuming the "guarantee" is maintained. Plus if hyperinflation sets in, how much is my nominal net worth actually worth when I finally get my money?
IMO, this rationale is just as bad as panic mode. I rather have my money in a bank(s) than hidden in & around my home, etc. There are people out there today stealing copper wire & catalytic converters for quick cash, home robberies are probably going to spike if there is a belief the masses are hiding $$$ at home. The imagination can run wild if you let panic take over ...

Old 07-25-2008, 11:04 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,148,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Plus, there's a huge difference between "being bought out" and "going under". If you look at the banking industry, when one bank becomes really profitable, it's often bought out by another bank.
Profitable...not WAMU. They reported a quarterly loss of $3.3 BILLION on Tuesday.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:30 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,181,360 times
Don't any of y'all remember the banking and S&L crisis of the 1980s?

Anybody think buying WAMU stock is a good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics