Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,804,914 times

Advertisements

[ The Financial Ninja ]: FDIC Can't Afford Washington Mutual Failure

My advice is to withdraw all funds from this bank. Sure your deposit is insured but if there is panic then why deal with throngs of people causing a melee at the branches and long lines to get your money... there are too many alternatives out there.

It's not a question of IF but WHEN WaMu will fail. Their base of Alt-A loans are humungous and losses in that segment are forecast to be enormous, it will take a miracle if WaMu survives that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,879,951 times
I never really trusted the FDIC... I don't trust a company that says they will protect everything but don't have the money to back it up... its absurd to think the FDIC has trillions of dollars in "reserve" to handle bank failures...

Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,684,466 times
I've read that FDIC can handle ONE big bank failure and that's it.

So, it's the next one after WaMu that I'm worried about....I hope the hell it isn't Wachovia!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 PM

38,935 posts, read 22,939,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've read that FDIC can handle ONE big bank failure and that's it.

So, it's the next one after WaMu that I'm worried about....I hope the hell it isn't Wachovia!
I used to bank at WaMu (I was with them for over 20 years) and left because of two cases of identity theft and the frustrations I went through dealing with their outsourced customer service phone support in the Philippines.

I thought I read somewhere that Wachovia laid off 600 people in their mortgage lending division. I don't think their retail banking operations were affected, though.

It might be a good idea to start looking for a local credit union you could join. They seem to be doing better than the big-name banks.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:24 AM

27 posts, read 73,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't trust a company that says they will protect everything but don't have the money to back it up...
same here

Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,500,394 times
Credit unions are not the answer. Their problems are not being talked about (yet?).

No long ago I read an article about the "unbanked". You know...those low-income folks who use the check-cashing places to cash whatever checks they may get. Then they pay their utility bills at some store, and use cash or money orders for the rest. Real "low-finance".

I thought it was strange. Then I began to think about it more. These folks pay no bank fees. They DO pay check-cashing fees and money order fees, which are about the same, but never a NSF fee or overdraft fee. Their transactions are largely un-traceable. They have a freedom that I do not have.

Hmmm...I'm still thinking about that one!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 AM

9,380 posts, read 14,335,002 times
Default Fed regulators seek buyer for WaMu

It appears they are preparing (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080917/bs_nm/washingtonmutual_dc_1 - broken link) for its inevitable collapse.

I really don't see an end to the crisis until all these relatively unproductive people who got into inefficient housing are removed and put into productive jobs, whether it be making shoes and socks or building nuclear power plants, at least anything other than shuffling worthless mortgage paper among themselves.

Another question is what to do with all that housing stock.

I know that one trend among immigrants, legal or not, is to live 10-20 at a time in one, two, three bedroom units. With the income of at least half of them, even in modestly productive jobs, at least maybe they can pay property taxes and utilities.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,846,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
It appears they are preparing (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080917/bs_nm/washingtonmutual_dc_1 - broken link) for its inevitable collapse.

I really don't see an end to the crisis until all these relatively unproductive people who got into inefficient housing are removed and put into productive jobs, whether it be making shoes and socks or building nuclear power plants, at least anything other than shuffling worthless mortgage paper among themselves.

Another question is what to do with all that housing stock.

I know that one trend among immigrants, legal or not, is to live 10-20 at a time in one, two, three bedroom units. With the income of at least half of them, even in modestly productive jobs, at least maybe they can pay property taxes and utilities.
You'd have to live like that if you made shoes.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM

105 posts, read 213,238 times
Btt

Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM

650 posts, read 2,519,300 times
I hearing about ppl to take their money out, but if the bank collapes I wonder about negative balances. I assume if it went under, no one is collecting those balances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics