Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times

Advertisements

government is getting in the way of our energy independence. where are the new nuclear power plants? off shore drilling? on land drilling? more refineries and sweet delicious coal. government should be doing their best to move along the permits quickly, not try to impede them. if safety and the environment is the concern, then the government should set standards and then move the process along quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 03:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Well, now I would think the oil companies could let their politicians end the subsidies.
i think subsidy is misleading, since the oil companies do pay taxes to the government.

i am amazed at the number of americans who WANT to pay more for their fuel.

i am not one of those people.

let me add that i think our current energy policies are insane, with cuba now drilling 60 miles off the florida coast. (and thanks to U.S. trade sanctions against Cuba the rig to contain no more than 10 percent U.S. technology).

i swear that i have never seen a government work harder against its own people.

Last edited by floridasandy; 05-14-2011 at 03:22 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What's wrong with a trade deficit?
the interest payments for one thing.

this is all capital that is being diverted.

of course, the same people who say "trade deficit is good" are the people now pushing for "dollar devaluation is good".

the average american knows that rising trade deficits and dollar devaluation are both bad for them. why would a fiat currency provider wish to destroy the trust in a fiat currency?

the federal reserve has done a lot of damage to this country.

Last edited by floridasandy; 05-14-2011 at 04:00 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

the federal reserve has done a lot of damage to this country.
Do you understand they are Globalist (Empire) now?

Not nationalist or country.

The goal is to run the money of the world -- not take care of US.

We are only their host or servant country at this point.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:47 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,188 times
Quote:
i think subsidy is misleading, since the oil companies do pay taxes to the government.

i am amazed at the number of americans who WANT to pay more for their fuel.

i am not one of those people...
Maybe some of them ride bikes or use public transportation or drive highly efficient vehicles and aren't keen to see their tax dollars going to lowering the cost for someone to drive an SUV that gets 16 MPG.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 AM

i have nothing negative to say about the bike riders (good for them-although i doubt that is practical for most americans), but i am guessing that even people driving "highly efficient" vehicles (like myself) don't voluntarily want to pay more for their gas either.

i don't think you want to get into how much taxpayers have to pay to support public transportation

Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
... but i am guessing that even people driving "highly efficient" vehicles (like myself) don't voluntarily want to pay more for their gas either.

i don't think you want to get into how much taxpayers have to pay to support public transportation
For every gallon that you buy cheaper, your tax dollars are going to help someone put 3 gallons of premium in their gas guzzler. And you are paying to assist users of public transportation, whether you use it or not. And you are propping up oil company stocks as investments. Thank you for your willing contributions.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
For every gallon that you buy cheaper, your tax dollars are going to help someone put 3 gallons of premium in their gas guzzler. And you are paying to assist users of public transportation, whether you use it or not. And you are propping up oil company stocks as investments. Thank you for your willing contributions.
if i am buying the gas cheaper, ii am not "pumping up' anything.

lower gas prices translates into lower gas prices for everybody, even the gas gusslers, and i don't have a problem with that. trucks are gas gusslers, but i like paying less for my staples also.

i have no class envy and i am not a glutton for punishment.

no matter what the gas prices are, i am going to have to subsidize public transportation and that is just the way it is. it's not like we get to vote on it or anything.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
if i am buying the gas cheaper, ii am not "pumping up' anything.
It is well accepted that if oil companies lose their tax breaks it will affect their bottom line and thus their stock prices. Those (all) tax breaks are currently contributing to the massive deficit and resultant federal debt. Seems odd that someone who has railed against government overspending supports tax breaks to huge conglomerates. Tax breaks are nothing more than lost revenue.

Again, I thank you and everyone who supports tax breaks to Exxon Mobil for helping to triple my investment dollars in under 10 years. I may not believe it is a good or necessary use of public funds, but I know better than to fight city hall.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
It is well accepted that if oil companies lose their tax breaks it will affect their bottom line and thus their stock prices. Those (all) tax breaks are currently contributing to the massive deficit and resultant federal debt. Seems odd that someone who has railed against government overspending supports tax breaks to huge conglomerates. Tax breaks are nothing more than lost revenue.

Again, I thank you and everyone who supports tax breaks to Exxon Mobil for helping to triple my investment dollars in under 10 years. I may not believe it is a good or necessary use of public funds, but I know better than to fight city hall.
again, it depends on what the "tax break" is.

if it is investing in foreign drilling, then i am against that "tax break".

if it is investing in our own future, i certainly support that over all this useless war spending that we are pretending to do because we "need the oil".....

i haven't looked it up lately, but i believe those tax breaks were about 4 billion and we gave 3 billion to ACORN, so somebody's priorities are all wrong. a lot of pensions are invested in the oil companies, like it or not, so take that up with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics