Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,383,835 times

Advertisements

U.S. Oil Output to Overtake Saudi Arabia

I hope so. I hope our government doesn't find some way to mess this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,553,296 times
Do not have to worry about the .gov.

Problem is US. We The People.

Since we buy and burn almost twice as much Oil as we produce (still net importers, and look to continue to be), we will continue to sink further into debt, even as we produce more.

If you do not get what this is about, check some basic information about Addict Behavior.

Short Energy/Oil business lesson -- you make money SELLING Oil. You go broke Buying and Burning it.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,347,737 times
I tend to think that the article itself is greatly over-hyped, but it does serve as a reminder that the United States (and any oil-producing nation outside OPEC, for that matter) has the potential to mitigate the worst effects of oil-price volatility -- and it need not involve the creation of another layer of bureaucracy.

The pursuit of a higher quality of life might be characteized as involvng several standards; security, wellness, education, etc. Several of these "goals" involve the consumption of energy, with mobility -- the creation of time and place utility, either by moving goods, or by moving either the producer or the consumer of services -- likely the most energy-intensive.

The point here is, there are multiple paths toward those goals, with varying amounts of energy consumption, What's more, petroleum, while at present the most prominent, and therefore the most volatile feedstock in the process, is usually not the only option.

So I expect the fluctuaion of energy-consuption patterns, of sources and end-uses, and of prices, to continue long after all us now present have departed this existence. And I see the free and unimpeded flow of human interaction, rather than politicization (with all the potential fr the pursuit and abuse of power thta goes with it) as the only justifiable "regulation"

Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,553,296 times
Good point on hitting the (not accidental) confusion between Energy and Oil.

Generally there has always been plenty of Energy.

It is Oil that we lie, cheat, steal, and kill for.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Funny with no energy policy for years and the fight going to stop big oil ; we are about to do what every president since Carter promised.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,691,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
U.S. Oil Output to Overtake Saudi Arabia

I hope so. I hope our government doesn't find some way to mess this up.
It is my long , and strongly, held opinion that the long term plan ,started during the Arab oil embargo in the 70's, is to force the other oil producing nations to pump all their oil dry ,or nearly dry, so that America would then hold ALL the oil cards to ensure that America is still top dog for world power.

So far the plan is working just fine and will as long as oil is still paid for in petro dollars.

It's all about simple supply and demand and who controls the supply.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:31 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,347,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
It is my long , and strongly, held opinion that the long term plan ,started during the Arab oil embargo in the 70's, is to force the other oil producing nations to pump all their oil dry ,or nearly dry, so that America would then hold ALL the oil cards to ensure that America is still top dog for world power.

So far the plan is working just fine and will as long as oil is still paid for in petro dollars.

It's all about simple supply and demand and who controls the supply.
The supply is not fixed, and not finite, and if the impact of alternatives, (of which there are many, but which will work in which locations -- and all of it subject to change, both technical and political) In other words, it all turns upon the day-to-day "spot" price of petroeum.

It's called an open market -- and nobody "controls" it, except in the mindset of those prejudiced against it.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,700,168 times
Would this be our future?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics