Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,304,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And I wonder......................how any number of the disenchanted in this country view the recent protests in Europe. Massive protests in France over merely raising the retirement age from 60 to 62.

The huge number of disenchanted people in this country have far more reasons to stage massive protests, and?

What would you expect!!! We are, undeniably, the Home of the Brave!!!

Dream, d-r-e-a-m, baby!
With 99+ weeks of Unemployment, 3+ years of mortgage free home occupancy, and 40+ million receiving free food stamps, there has not been a huge degree of suffering so far, but when the freebee's end, and the real suffering begins... I imagine you will hear much more discourse, the unemployed have plenty of time to protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 PM

436 posts, read 910,103 times
[quote=jimhcom;16176860]With 99+ weeks of Unemployment, 3+ years of mortgage free home occupancy, and 40+ million receiving free food stamps, there has not been a huge degree of suffering so far, but when the freebee's end, and the real suffering begins... I imagine you will hear much more discourse, the unemployed have plenty of time to protest.[/QUOTE

I hope that people don't go into stupid mode and do really stupid stuff, I know were in a depression, yes we are no one is admitting it, what do you think the government is going to be honest, we need to get rid of the hope and change clown in 2012 and fix the mess his cronies created, that is what we need to do.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM

16 posts, read 18,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
can you have an AR15 in Texas, I'll move there.
You would be better off with an ak 74. affordable ammo, affordable gun, good handling over all, and extremely reliable.

About your other post though, you can't just blame it on the current administration. It's been a long and rocky road filled to the brim with failures.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 PM

436 posts, read 910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcs996 View Post
You would be better off with an ak 74. affordable ammo, affordable gun, good handling over all, and extremely reliable.

About your other post though, you can't just blame it on the current administration. It's been a long and rocky road filled to the brim with failures.
Well the current administration didn't help by pissing money away on stupid bailouts of company's that went bankrupt anyway.Why are they obsessed on raising taxes?, that is absolutely stupid! Lower taxes across the board and the economy will give you more than enough tax revenue, it is so freaken simple, but the government simply will not do it.If I had money to invest in a business, there is no way I would take that risk right now knowing I would get hammered in taxes.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,220,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcs996 View Post
A most excellent choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia

I think a revolution would be possible. People are really pissed off....
Not in the US. It would take a lot more than a bad economy.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,005,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A most excellent choice.

As the brave youth of the 60s took to the streets en masse and risked their lives to end a tragic and unjust war, so too can the youth today rise up in protest if they get really hungry and there;s no jobs for their generation. Don't think for a minute that this is not anticipated and being planned for...how to control people before it begins (let us count the ways....)

Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,005,016 times
Originally Posted by princesasabia:
I think a revolution would be possible. People are really pissed off....

Mircea:

As the brave youth of the 60s took to the streets en masse and risked their lives to end a tragic and unjust war, so too can the youth today rise up in protest if they get really hungry and there;s no jobs for their generation. Don't think for a minute that this is not anticipated and being planned for...how to control people before it begins (let us count the ways....)

Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 PM

23,290 posts, read 29,151,074 times
I think these younger generations today are different than the generation who suffered during the Great Depression and the protest-minded generation of the 60's.

How many are thinking? I'll just take my chances, perhaps there'll be a better paying job awaiting me in the afterlife.

Checking ID's at St. Peter's Gate, making sure someone isn't trying to slip in with a stolen identity.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,305,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I think these younger generations today are different than the generation who suffered during the Great Depression and the protest-minded generation of the 60's.

How many are thinking? I'll just take my chances, perhaps there'll be a better paying job awaiting me in the afterlife.

Checking ID's at St. Peter's Gate, making sure someone isn't trying to slip in with a stolen identity.
I'm not so sure about that. I grew up in the fifties and sixties. My parents were survivors of the Great Depression and the wars and they wanted all the best for their kid. But it didn't work out that way when I hit the big brick wall known as the real world.

Some of the kids of the texting ipod gameing generation will crumble, because they just aren't meant to make it. But some will not. And many will simply learn the hard reality that my generation discovered. I think part of the passion was there because we discovered we were not prepared and the most functional were the most infuencial, but also because we did dream. A dream shattered is the worse thing you can do if you want to maintain the status quo.

Unless we do some enormous work, not only will the coming generation and those freshly out of high school discover that their future is unemployment and less than they had and no real light at the end of their tunnel. Add to them the generations who are also finding that they are being outsourced to poverty and it will be quite interesting. Remember that old Chinese curse?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,304,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In the 60's people stood up because it affected them personally. Everyone knew someone who had gone to Nam and either did not come back, or came back crippled or crazy. When you had to register for the draft, and watch the lottery, it became very personal. But remember the protests did not start right away, it was more like 5 years into the war.
This situation today is becoming personal also. Young people are the ones being affected most by this economy, and after a few years they too will become angry. Many have been disenfranchised from the system, after doing what they were told were the things that would make them successful. Many young people and couples have been financially devastated by this economy, lost jobs, homes, credit ratings, and even had to endure the shame of returning to their parent’s home for support.
For them there will be a new reality, and it will be one that holds resentment for a government and a generation who's corruption and greed decimated their future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics