Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
Thanks for posting. Cute pics,
We better get a petition up against beauty salons for abusing all the women getting dye jobs!
I understand this is done fo show. I don't have a problem with it. If that's the worst an animal endures they are living the good life.
My show dogs have to go through full groomings sometimes every week. Must enjoy it some because they push and shove to be the first one on the table Any sensible person also would not use toxic dyes. Definitely not more toxic than the wearable flea control we put on our dogs.

I have to agree that this is not abuse as it is not harming the dog as The dyes tend to be non toxic. When we use to have the big dog parade some people would dye their dogs and the dogs LOVED all the attention they got because of it. This is a grooming competition if you ever go to a human hair styling competition you will see things just as bizarre.

"I'm sorry but none of these dogs ^^ looks very comfortable"

To me the dogs look like show dogs that are being stacked for photos look so they are being posed and one can't take the look to mean they are uncomfortable.

My dogs use to wear costumes in the big dog parade and yes at first Dash would pout but as soon as the parade got going and people were laughing he came to life and enjoyed it and afterwards he and Jazz just soaked up all the attention from people and posed in photos with countless strangers.What some people might think is cruel is actually quite enjoyable for the dogs as most dogs love attention. An for the record it did not matter how complicated the costume my dogs kept it on the whole parade route and during the festival after wards people called the two of them the PROS as they seemed so comfortable but I really think it was that attention they got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
These are all very good points. I am glad to hear that the dyes are non-toxic.

I think that the point that those of us who oppose this trend are trying to make in all of this is that the dogs don't have any choice in the matter and that this is being done for the benefit of the humans involved rather than the dogs.

Sure, they might like the attention. But what about just giving them attention and love without forcing them to dye their fur or wear a costume for it?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,614,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
These are all very good points. I am glad to hear that the dyes are non-toxic.

I think that the point that those of us who oppose this trend are trying to make in all of this is that the dogs don't have any choice in the matter and that this is being done for the benefit of the humans involved rather than the dogs.

Sure, they might like the attention. But what about just giving them attention and love without forcing them to dye their fur or wear a costume for it?
I work 60 hrs a week sweating my b*** off, we work seperate shifts so the animals aren't alone. They may be forced to wear costumes, small price to pay when I have to work my rear off to supply them with the best foods money can buy, doggie beds,toys, other dogs for playmates. Unlike wild animals, they haven't had to endure severe weather, hunger, parasites. Sounds like a fair trade to me.
Too many people tend to worry about what the animal thinks. Too bad we can't seem to get society as interested in their children!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
I work 60 hrs a week sweating my b*** off, we work seperate shifts so the animals aren't alone. They may be forced to wear costumes, small price to pay when I have to work my rear off to supply them with the best foods money can buy, doggie beds,toys, other dogs for playmates. Unlike wild animals, they haven't had to endure severe weather, hunger, parasites. Sounds like a fair trade to me.
Too many people tend to worry about what the animal thinks. Too bad we can't seem to get society as interested in their children!
Why would your pet have a "price to pay"???

Do you really think you are the only one here who "works their b*** off"???

I have been tossing 90# bags of cement all afternoon.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 PM

I think people have to keep in mind that this was all done for fun. I know at the big dog parades my dogs loved posing in costumes with people that prior had been strangers to them. I am sure the dogs get alot of love and attention from their owners but this is attention from strangers who may have never noticed the dog when it was not dyed or dressed up. My dogs love meeting new friends so yes they had fun even if it was the costume that caught their new friends eye, my dogs like having the attention of crowds. They also seem to enjoy making people laugh.

I think Life is much more enjoyable when we do not take it so seriously but rather stop play and have fun. I think Dogs understand that better then some people so give the dogs some credit as yes they may be having fun too.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,614,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I think people have to keep in mind that this was all done for fun. I know at the big dog parades my dogs loved posing in costumes with people that prior had been strangers to them. I am sure the dogs get alot of love and attention from their owners but this is attention from strangers who may have never noticed the dog when it was not dyed or dressed up. My dogs love meeting new friends so yes they had fun even if it was the costume that caught their new friends eye, my dogs like having the attention of crowds. They also seem to enjoy making people laugh.

I think Life is much more enjoyable when we do not take it so seriously but rather stop play and have fun. I think Dogs understand that better then some people so give the dogs some credit as yes they may be having fun too.
Thank you, well said. Mine wear crazy things at time. Rare occasions and they have fun!!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,705,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

The part that I bolded is what bothers me: that a dog needs to look like something other than a dog to get attention from people. I know that I don't need anything special to notice or pay attention to a dog.

I also don't think that it is necessary to groom your dog to look like a wild animal to "not take life seriously" and "have some fun." Just b/c someone objects to the trend doesn't mean that he/she is a stick-in-the-mud curmudgeon who takes life too seriously. As I said before, IMHO, it is like using your dog as a Barbie Doll for your own amusement. In fact, this whole trend reminds me of Little Miss pageants. Either you see it that way or you don't. As for the dogs having fun, you really don't know how they feel about it. Besides, weren't you the one that said that your dog initially hated wearing his costumes?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The part that I bolded is what bothers me: that a dog needs to look like something other than a dog to get attention from people. I know that I don't need anything special to notice or pay attention to a dog.

I also don't think that it is necessary to groom your dog to look like a wild animal to "not take life seriously" and "have some fun." Just b/c someone objects to the trend doesn't mean that he/she is a stick-in-the-mud curmudgeon who takes life too seriously. As I said before, IMHO, it is like using your dog as a Barbie Doll for your own amusement. In fact, this whole trend reminds me of Little Miss pageants. Either you see it that way or you don't. As for the dogs having fun, you really don't know how they feel about it. Besides, weren't you the one that said that your dog initially hated wearing his costumes?

Well I did NOT say that Dash HATED the cotumes initially but I did say that at first he pouts but if you have never been in a large parade you spend a fare amont of time in a staging area just standing there ...boring! So I Think Dash was much like a little kid thinking at this point "this is stupid why do I have to do it?" But once we hit State Street and the crowd was laughing and cheering he then understood why he was doing it and had a ball, pranced down the road all proud of himself. Just as that Kid that says that realizes how much fun he is having once he gets involved. Dash was a dog that LOVED attention and making groups of people laugh. He was the one that could run a clean agility course but when we did demos for retirement homes he would make a very obvious mistake that he knew would make the crowd laugh and they did so he would repeat it over and over just to hear them all laugh.

If I was dressing my dogs up everyday or entering pagents since you dragged that in here then yes I think your " barbie doll" comment would be valid but the parade was a huge fund raiser for The big dog foundation which helped out alot of animal charities and childrens charities so it was all being done for a good cause. So sorry I was not dressing them up just for my own amusement. Yes my dogs frequently get attention from strangers but after the parade at the canine festival all I can liken it to for them was like being a rock star and meeting their fans and they LOVED that, Dash was in his glory. Even Phoenix ( the deaf , vision limited dog) who is usually very shy with strangers seemed to loose that shyness and welcome all the strangers.Jazz being the queen she is just assumed everyone was there to see her.

What bothers me is people that see this or the groomers competition as abuse as it is not abuse and some people get too carried away about what they think abuse is. We had a few Peta people come to a flyball tournament once and claim the dogs were being abused as it was not right to make them play flyball.... get real there is no way you can MAKE a dog play flyball they either have the drive and desire or they don't and when they do it is so obvious how much they love it. Dash did not play flyball as he had no interest in balls now had it been a hotdog he would have been a champ! Same with agility and I have heard people say that it is wrong to make dogs do that too.

Dogs are capable of having fun and the dogs I have known in my life are also just as capable of letting people know when something is not fun and they do not want to do it.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM

725 posts, read 3,016,185 times
Conceptually, I think it looks cool and did bring a smile to my face. However, I think that is a bit extreme... hair dye on a dog? My dog freaks out every time at the groomer (for a paw-dicure)... I can only imagine how much worse it could be to wait for hair dye to finish.

An acquaintance of mine has his Pomeranian get a lion cut... it's actually pretty cute. No hair dye involved.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Today was bath day......they get Revolution and two days later they get baths and nails done.

They did not have fun, still it is part of their health so we do it.

I am tried. Of course, all the bedding and rugs were washed too.

I can't image making this any harder than it is now.

Still, I will admit the word "abuse" was overstating my view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs