Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:39 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times

Advertisements

Shadow is in the hospital with pancreatitis. She has been there just over 24 hours and so far no response to the treatment. Has anyone ever had a dog with pancreatitis?

aaaarrghhhh! The waiting is making me crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:23 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,940 times
I am sorry to hear that. My dad's 17 year old Maltese was diagnosed with that a few years ago and with a strong change in diet and regular visits to the vet he is thriving. Good luck to you!

Old 06-02-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the response.

DH has always "shared" his meals with Shadow. I have been telling him for years that it is not good for her. Now I can't even say "I told you so" because he has been in tears since yesterday afternoon.

I think I just wanted to hear someone tell me they had heard of this.

We went to visit her this afternoon and she just looks so miserable.

They don't have a cage big enough for her, so they have made a temporary cage for her.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
I have heard of that but I'm not sure what it is! Ringo had Enteritis? I don't know if that's the same thing or not . . but his tummy was really messed up.

He did not have to be in the hospital though - like your poor Shadow.

I hope that they can find a good treatment plan and she will get to feeling better.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Both of my friends doxies got it after being fed turkey skin on Thanksgiving by her guests. They were kept at the hospital for several days on fluid IVs and given pain meds when they got home, and are completely back to normal now. No more fatty foods for them! She didn't have to switch their diets, either, since the vet said the turkey definitely caused it. She feeds them Orijen still. Hope Shadow gets to come home soon!

Old 06-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Thank you everyone.

We have been going to see her every afternoon during "visiting hours". Today for the first time she was standing up & wagging her tail. Today for the first time since Monday afternoon she passed urine.

Tomorrow they are going to pull blood. When they pulled it on Tuesday her pancreatic enzymes were so high that they were literally off the chart. If the numbers look o.k. tomorrow they will try feeding her. If she does not relapse after eating we might be able to bring her home on Saturday.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Thank you everyone.

We have been going to see her every afternoon during "visiting hours". Today for the first time she was standing up & wagging her tail. Today for the first time since Monday afternoon she passed urine.

Tomorrow they are going to pull blood. When they pulled it on Tuesday her pancreatic enzymes were so high that they were literally off the chart. If the numbers look o.k. tomorrow they will try feeding her. If she does not relapse after eating we might be able to bring her home on Saturday.
Fingers and toes crossed for you and Shadow. My heart hurts for both of you, but I also know -- in my heart -- that she's going to come through this fine. Sending healing thoughts and lots of hugs.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:57 PM

399 posts, read 2,254,124 times
I have seen many regular patients at our hospital with it. There were many that had to be on prescription diet, but that was usually if they continued to have flare ups with no human food. One sticks out in my mind, a wired-haired terrier that only ate I/D and still had to have additional enzymes in her food I think she was the worst that we ever saw..... And there are just some dogs that just can't handle changes in diet at all.....

Old 06-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Update:

Pancreatic numbers looked good so they offered Shadow some food today. She did not eat so much as 1 bite. No food since Monday and she was not interested.

They pulled more blood and found that her liver numbers are off. Way off.

The pancreas and the liver touch each other. Pancreatic fluid = digestive fluid. When the pancreas leaked it leaked onto her liver.

So, no coming home tomorrow. Apparently acute liver problems are much harder to treat than chronic liver problems.

Poor Shadow. :-(

Old 06-04-2010, 01:06 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
The poor baby! Well at least the liver comes in first place for regenerative powers as far as organs go (Even more so than skin!). Now that the pancreas is on the mend, the liver will have time to heal.

Lots and lots of healing energy and good thoughts from me and my pack to you and your Shadow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs