Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:08 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,926,152 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried Michael Dole's recipes for dogs with pancreatitis? if so what were the results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,614,964 times
Pancreatitis is a very serious and frequently fatal disease. If your dog develops it, prompt veterinary care is a must. Don't try some untried and unproven ''recipe''.

Michael Dole - the ultimate charlatan - Veterinary Medicine - Zimbio

People who try to make a quick buck by endangering a sick animal are no better than people who make their money on dogfighting.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 11-24-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: I thought I better remove a really savage comment.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,247,938 times
I agree.

Shadow almost died of pancreatitis this summer. She is doing great now simply from having people food and high fat treats removed from her diet.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 PM

82 posts, read 496,068 times
boiled skinless chicken breast and "real" brown rice, the rice boiled in 70/30 mix water and chicken broth, splash olive oil. this works for my dog. it may not work for others, very tricky condition!pancreved pills before every meal (dosage may vary), also comes in powder. multi-vitamin after meal. no treats in between! takes time, persistence, patience, love and money! read read read, visit forums/message boards. be up to the task and you can have a healthy/happy dog.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM

note: will not work without pancreved!!!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
note: will not work without pancreved!!!!!
Thanks to those who replied, pancreved? is that the enzyme powder ? i have that, trouble is she has been to the vets and he prescribed canned Hills special Z/D food but i wanted to try a more natural food from my own pantry and the Dole's diet is a lot to do with turkey, brown rice and oat bran...my little girl is stick thin and not happy, so i'm trying everything.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:30 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,247,938 times
Is your dog suffering from acute or chronic pancreatitis? Shadow's was acute. She lost just over 20 pounds in 8 days. It took several months, but she has put most of her weight back on.

Shadow has food allergies and could not eat the Hill's crap that the vet tried to push on me. She is doing just fine on Taste of the Wild. As treats she either gets kangaroo jerky/bones/tails or ostrich jerky or dried sting ray tails or deer antler or dried *** milk (her current fave). All blood work has returned to normal.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Thanks to those who replied, pancreved? is that the enzyme powder ? i have that, trouble is she has been to the vets and he prescribed canned Hills special Z/D food but i wanted to try a more natural food from my own pantry and the Dole's diet is a lot to do with turkey, brown rice and oat bran...my little girl is stick thin and not happy, so i'm trying everything.
thru trial and error, this is what I have found works for my dog. I have pancreved in pill form. 3 pills 10 to 15 minutes before meal. he has a large
mouth/throat and I hold his mouth open and gently slide the pills down pushing with finger, right side between tongue and cheek. I feed three meals a day trying to space them at least 4 hours apart. in his case, 3 is better than 2, less to digest at once and less food for medicine to have to aid towards digesting. I buy skinless chicken breast on sale. "real" brown rice. see above about water/chicken stock/olive oil when cooking rice. I am cooking his meals every other day. it is a chore, I will not lie. but he is much healthier. I tried more than 20 commercial and/or holistic and/or vet recommended foods. some worked for a time, but all failed. so, cooking chicken breast and brown rice it is. note: "dark" meat failed too! there are also allergy issues which have greatly improved on this diet. my dog is 3 1/2 and a high energy breed (gets tons of excercise). each meal consists of 1 chicken breast and 3/4 cup of cooked rice. do the math, he probably eats better than I do! I strive to keep him over 70 lbs. though he still looks a tad underweight. when things are going well he is usually 72 lbs. if he didn't have this condition he could push 80 lbs. no problem. he has some bad stretches which last 2 to 3 days. before the chicken and rice, they could last 2 to 3 weeks, and the weight would fall real fast (look emaciated, no energy, hair loss). it is a constant battle, but the "little" guy is worth it. no quick fix in this fight, you will feel frustration, keep fighting! you will get into a routine that works and NO between meal treats, they can ruin all your hard work and erase weight gains real quick!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
thru trial and error, this is what I have found works for my dog. I have pancreved in pill form. 3 pills 10 to 15 minutes before meal. he has a large
mouth/throat and I hold his mouth open and gently slide the pills down pushing with finger, right side between tongue and cheek. I feed three meals a day trying to space them at least 4 hours apart. in his case, 3 is better than 2, less to digest at once and less food for medicine to have to aid towards digesting. I buy skinless chicken breast on sale. "real" brown rice. see above about water/chicken stock/olive oil when cooking rice. I am cooking his meals every other day. it is a chore, I will not lie. but he is much healthier. I tried more than 20 commercial and/or holistic and/or vet recommended foods. some worked for a time, but all failed. so, cooking chicken breast and brown rice it is. note: "dark" meat failed too! there are also allergy issues which have greatly improved on this diet. my dog is 3 1/2 and a high energy breed (gets tons of excercise). each meal consists of 1 chicken breast and 3/4 cup of cooked rice. do the math, he probably eats better than I do! I strive to keep him over 70 lbs. though he still looks a tad underweight. when things are going well he is usually 72 lbs. if he didn't have this condition he could push 80 lbs. no problem. he has some bad stretches which last 2 to 3 days. before the chicken and rice, they could last 2 to 3 weeks, and the weight would fall real fast (look emaciated, no energy, hair loss). it is a constant battle, but the "little" guy is worth it. no quick fix in this fight, you will feel frustration, keep fighting! you will get into a routine that works and NO between meal treats, they can ruin all your hard work and erase weight gains real quick!
Many thanks for the terrific info. my old girl is getting on in years but still very lively, like you i tried the holistic food but it didn't help the situation any.Tonight i'm cooking her breast of chicken with brown rice also adding some oatbran and a little mashed potato, hope it all works. once again thanks for the advice.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM

947 posts, read 3,410,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Many thanks for the terrific info. my old girl is getting on in years but still very lively, like you i tried the holistic food but it didn't help the situation any.Tonight i'm cooking her breast of chicken with brown rice also adding some oatbran and a little mashed potato, hope it all works. once again thanks for the advice.

how did she like it? did she do good eating it?

hope she gets on the road to recovery quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs