Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM

205 posts, read 726,611 times

Advertisements

Raw hide is terrible for dogs. Can cause serious intestinal issues. Have you considered feeding her raw? I use meat I buy at the grocery store (on sale with coupons of course). I buy my boys chicken, turkey, beef, fish even and feed it to them raw. Gunnar, my bulldog puppy, has a major (PHEW OMG STINKY) issue with kibble. He can clear a room and make you gag, so he gets raw. He loves it and he's very healthy. Oh and instead of any man made chew toy, give your puppy raw beef bones. They are almost indestructible when raw. My pit bull can not break them.

The meat does not have to be super expensive, just be smart about how you buy the meat and stock up when you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM

17 posts, read 28,720 times
I really don't want to do the raw food if I don't have too. She has no trouble eating any human food...... Todays observation: after sniffing the can of prescription purina en dog food, she ate all of it and some of the kibble in her bowl. She took a break then ate a bit more kibble. I had given her enough time, so I picked up her bowl. Later on, I decided to try the adult canned food Whole Earth Food which has a 5 star rating. My westie was thrilled and attacked her bowl. My puppy, sniffed it a good while, I let her lick the spoon....then she ate half a can and no more. I was very disappointed. I took the same brand of canned puppy food out of the fridge and put the rest of the adult canned food and put them both on a paper plate and heated them in the microwave. My westie was really wanting the food, my puppy was giving it a long sniff. I can see peas and other goodies in the food. My puppy licked it and ate a little more. Being tired of her not eating, I offered her some on the spoon , which she licked off a couple more times while making a mess on the floor. Then because there was so much left, I put chunks on the spoon, opened her mouth and put it in. She then swallowed it. I repeated this 2 more times before she went into her cage to avoid being fed more. My westie was so full, she couldn't finish it all, she really is putting on the weight.

I wondered tonight whether her tummy just really wanted a bland diet and that is why she likes that EN canned dog fod so much. I was having some lasagna for dinner. I offered her a small piece, and she readily ate it. No sniffing, just gulp. I put her dog bowl down and sprinkled a small amount of parmesan cheese on her food. She sniffed and sniffed and sniffed and finally decided to try it. She licked the cheese off of her food and ate a little bit more kibble. I didn't eat all of my small portion of lasagna and offered her the remaining noodle and cheese and she couldn't have gulped that down faster. So I don't think it is the blandness she needs. Days like this make me think my vet may be right.

The other thought I am having is the purina EN dog food is so hard, you can't mix it, and it is not very moist. She can pick it up in chunks in her mouth to eat it. The other canned food is much softer and would easily blend with her dry food. Maybe it is the texture she likes too. Maybe she doesn't like the taste. Compared to the beef flavored rawhide she had eaten a several days ago, maybe none of the dog food tastes good to her.

I have ordered small bags of other high quality dog food: blue buffalo lamb and rice,
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula Roasted Bison & Venison Dry Dog Food, Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Small Bite Dry Dog Food, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Large Breed Adult Dog Formula, Merrick Cowboy Cookout Dry Dog Food. all of these are for adult dogs. I hope she really takes to at least one of them. I was thinking that if her tummy is bothering her, the lamb and rice may be something she likes. The purina EN doesn't compare in quality of ingredients, which distresses me, especially for a growing puppy.

I greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas and welcome any other ideas. I just don't know what to think.

I did try the dominance thing of putting her on her back and pinning her. She didn't want me putting her on the ground, but once I rolled her on her back she didn't resist, so I let her up quickly and told her she was a good girl. I don't think that is an issue. All of that sniffing she was doing of food earlier is leaning me toward some degree of her having become particular as opposed to how she was before I ever gave her a rawhide. She truly does have a great sense of smell.

An amusing story, I had just put a piece of hard candy in my mouth and as she was just a small puppy at the time, but she came running over to me on the bed and pawed at my mouth trying to get the food out. I was ROFL. This was not a one time incident.

Last edited by Avalonn; 05-19-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 05:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalonn View Post
I have ordered small bags of other high quality dog food: blue buffalo lamb and rice,
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula Roasted Bison & Venison Dry Dog Food, Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Small Bite Dry Dog Food, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Large Breed Adult Dog Formula, Merrick Cowboy Cookout Dry Dog Food. all of these are for adult dogs.
My dog eats Taste of the Wild Bison & Venison and is quite happy, even though he's a finicky eater. I mix it with Wellness Core, which is an even better kibble.

Just a note re: Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul: It's one of the only dog foods that have milk in it and many dogs do NOT react well to the dairy and end up with soft poop. Just something for you to keep in mind if your pup's stool gets soft.

Quote:
I did try the dominance thing of putting her on her back and pinning her. She didn't want me putting her on the ground, but once I rolled her on her back she didn't resist, so I let her up quickly and told her she was a good girl. I don't think that is an issue.
I don't understand... Why did you do that? I believe that's the Cesar Milan's alpha roll and is deemed to be cruel.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
My dog eats Taste of the Wild Bison & Venison and is quite happy, even though he's a finicky eater. I mix it with Wellness Core, which is an even better kibble.

Just a note re: Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul: It's one of the only dog foods that have milk in it and many dogs do NOT react well to the dairy and end up with soft poop. Just something for you to keep in mind if your pup's stool gets soft.

I don't understand... Why did you do that? I believe that's the Cesar Milan's alpha roll and is deemed to be cruel.
It was suggested to me by her obedience class instructor, I am not sure why, I guess he thought her not eating may be related to a dominance issue? It wasn't cruel though, I just rolled her on to her back with my hand on her chest, when she looked all relaxed, I took my hand off. It only took a couple seconds.

I am trying, yet again another idea. I just read that if I used a rubber glove and got a finger full of peanut butter and mixed it with whatever dry dog food I wanted her to eat, she would then like that dog food. She has eaten a little bit of her kibble, probably picked out whatever pieces the peanut butter stuck too........<sigh>

Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
It was suggested to me by her obedience class instructor, I am not sure why, I guess he thought her not eating may be related to a dominance issue? It wasn't cruel though, I just rolled her on to her back with my hand on her chest, when she looked all relaxed, I took my hand off. It only took a couple seconds.

I am trying, yet again another idea. I just read that if I used a rubber glove and got a finger full of peanut butter and mixed it with whatever dry dog food I wanted her to eat, she would then like that dog food. She has eaten a little bit of her kibble, probably picked out whatever pieces the peanut butter stuck too........<sigh>
I don't like her obedience class instructor, that much I can tell you. YIKES! I don't think the alpha roll (or dominance) is going to persuade a dog to eat.

I do, however, like the peanut butter idea. But if she's only eating the pieces that have peanut butter on them, that's not gonna work.

Oh! I have a great idea! When Artie stopped being interested in his food, I ordered these Stella & Chewy's patties. I break apart a patty into tiny pieces/shreds and shake it up in his bowl of kibble so that it's all incorporated. He goes CRAZY for his food because he loves the taste of the patty. (I'd feed him ONLY patties, but he'd have to get so many of them per day and they're really expensive. And since one patty per meal works like a charm, that's what I do.) Here's a link to them, much less expensive than on Amazon: Stella & Chewy's | PetNetDirect.com

It's the freeze-dried chicken, beef, lamb, or duck patties. Duck was Artie's favorite, but now he's hooked on lamb.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't like her obedience class instructor, that much I can tell you. YIKES! I don't think the alpha roll (or dominance) is going to persuade a dog to eat.

I do, however, like the peanut butter idea. But if she's only eating the pieces that have peanut butter on them, that's not gonna work.

Oh! I have a great idea! When Artie stopped being interested in his food, I ordered these Stella & Chewy's patties. I break apart a patty into tiny pieces/shreds and shake it up in his bowl so that it's all incorporated. He goes CRAZY for his food because he loves the taste of the patty. (I'd feed him ONLY patties, but he'd have to get so many of them per day and they're really expensive. And since one patty per meal works like a charm, that's what I do.) Here's a link to them, much less expensive than on Amazon: Stella & Chewy's | PetNetDirect.com

It's the freeze-dried chicken, beef, lamb, or duck patties. Duck was Artie's favorite, but now he's hooked on lamb.
Her obedience instructor keeps expecting her to drag me all over the place and was wanting me to get one of those face collars. Well, she is actually very good at 'loose leash' walking and it is almost like she understood from the beginning because I haven't been teaching her anything yet due to the new baby. This isn't like past dog classes at all.

I am going to order those patties and give them a try. I am already spendign a fortune in dog food. Just ordered more of that purina EM in dry and canned for her until I can get her eating something better. She doesn't eat much dry EN either. She is such a sweet cuddle button puppy. There really may be something in their that needs to pass, or she may have developed gourmet doggie taste. Her breed is not usually picky like this. Or it could be because she continues to eat everything she isn't supposed to every chance she gets.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Her obedience instructor keeps expecting her to drag me all over the place and was wanting me to get one of those face collars. Well, she is actually very good at 'loose leash' walking and it is almost like she understood from the beginning because I haven't been teaching her anything yet due to the new baby. This isn't like past dog classes at all.

I am going to order those patties and give them a try. I am already spendign a fortune in dog food. Just ordered more of that purina EM in dry and canned for her until I can get her eating something better. She doesn't eat much dry EN either. She is such a sweet cuddle button puppy. There really may be something in their that needs to pass, or she may have developed gourmet doggie taste. Her breed is not usually picky like this. Or it could be because she continues to eat everything she isn't supposed to every chance she gets.
I suspect that the patties are going to work. My neighbor's puppy absolutely refused to eat -- I gave her a couple of duck patties to mix in with the pup's food and BINGO! Worked like a charm.

Don't forget: Give your girl as much kibble as usual and mix in one of these patties all broken up. If your pup is a big girl, then maybe give a little less kibble and break up TWO patties. Whatever works, right??

Oh! Another thing! Scrambled egg! Every couple of days, I scramble up an egg for Artie. Actually I microwave it. I crack and egg in a bowl, whisk it (no water or milk added -- just the egg) and microwave it for about 45-50 seconds. Then I break it up with a fork. Then I let it cool -- make sure that there are no "hot spots" -- in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Mix that with the kibble. OH! Artie loooooves it. I would try that too if I were you.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:01 PM

205 posts, read 726,611 times
Quote:
I really don't want to do the raw food if I don't have too. She has no trouble eating any human food...... Todays observation: after sniffing the can of prescription purina en dog food, she ate all of it and some of the kibble in her bowl. She took a break then ate a bit more kibble. I had given her enough time, so I picked up her bowl. Later on, I decided to try the adult canned food Whole Earth Food which has a 5 star rating. My westie was thrilled and attacked her bowl. My puppy, sniffed it a good while, I let her lick the spoon....then she ate half a can and no more. I was very disappointed. I took the same brand of canned puppy food out of the fridge and put the rest of the adult canned food and put them both on a paper plate and heated them in the microwave. My westie was really wanting the food, my puppy was giving it a long sniff. I can see peas and other goodies in the food. My puppy licked it and ate a little more. Being tired of her not eating, I offered her some on the spoon , which she licked off a couple more times while making a mess on the floor. Then because there was so much left, I put chunks on the spoon, opened her mouth and put it in. She then swallowed it. I repeated this 2 more times before she went into her cage to avoid being fed more. My westie was so full, she couldn't finish it all, she really is putting on the weight.

I wondered tonight whether her tummy just really wanted a bland diet and that is why she likes that EN canned dog fod so much. I was having some lasagna for dinner. I offered her a small piece, and she readily ate it. No sniffing, just gulp. I put her dog bowl down and sprinkled a small amount of parmesan cheese on her food. She sniffed and sniffed and sniffed and finally decided to try it. She licked the cheese off of her food and ate a little bit more kibble. I didn't eat all of my small portion of lasagna and offered her the remaining noodle and cheese and she couldn't have gulped that down faster. So I don't think it is the blandness she needs. Days like this make me think my vet may be right.

The other thought I am having is the purina EN dog food is so hard, you can't mix it, and it is not very moist. She can pick it up in chunks in her mouth to eat it. The other canned food is much softer and would easily blend with her dry food. Maybe it is the texture she likes too. Maybe she doesn't like the taste. Compared to the beef flavored rawhide she had eaten a several days ago, maybe none of the dog food tastes good to her.

Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine Formula Roasted Bison & Venison Dry Dog Food, Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Small Bite Dry Dog Food, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Large Breed Adult Dog Formula, Merrick Cowboy Cookout Dry Dog Food. all of these are for adult dogs. I hope she really takes to at least one of them. I was thinking that if her tummy is bothering her, the lamb and rice may be something she likes. The purina EN doesn't compare in quality of ingredients, which distresses me, especially for a growing puppy.

I greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas and welcome any other ideas. I just don't know what to think.

I did try the dominance thing of putting her on her back and pinning her. She didn't want me putting her on the ground, but once I rolled her on her back she didn't resist, so I let her up quickly and told her she was a good girl. I don't think that is an issue. All of that sniffing she was doing of food earlier is leaning me toward some degree of her having become particular as opposed to how she was before I ever gave her a rawhide. She truly does have a great sense of smell.

An amusing story, I had just put a piece of hard candy in my mouth and as she was just a small puppy at the time, but she came running over to me on the bed and pawed at my mouth trying to get the food out. I was ROFL. This was not a one time incident.
But Human food is cooked with spices, fillers etc that we enjoy eating, but not necessarily good for the puppy. She's eating what you give her becasue as her pack leader she sees you eating it and she's going to give it a try. If you're going to give her cooked food make sure its bland as no spices (there are milk products that can cause diarrhea) not fried etc.

The raw diet is not difficult, it just takes a little prep before hand. I use the ziplock containers to put the boys food in. That way I'm not mixing my tupperware bowls with their uncooked meat etc. And I can pack it all up in advance, freeze and take out as needed. Its a great diet and very easy on their tummys, their waste is smaller and less stinky. I will tell you that most vets will try to discourage you on it... they make money on the kibble. My vet has stopped trying to discourage me and is finally giving me insight to what I should add to make sure Gunnar gets all the stuff he needs.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Hmmm that has me thinking back to the idea of me trying to pretend I am eating her dog food......if she will eat what I give her because I am pack leader..........it is worth a shot. I already have ordered the patties and the various small bags of dog food.

I still don't get why she prefers that canned EN food.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Hmmm that has me thinking back to the idea of me trying to pretend I am eating her dog food......if she will eat what I give her because I am pack leader..........it is worth a shot. I already have ordered the patties and the various small bags of dog food.

I still don't get why she prefers that canned EN food.
See my post above about giving her scrambled egg? You could have one too -- to convince her that she's getting "the goods"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs