Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM

17 posts, read 28,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
See my post above about giving her scrambled egg? You could have one too -- to convince her that she's getting "the goods"!
I did, and will have to make a trip to the grocery store for some eggs.

She would have no problem eating eggs, she loves all people food. I just tried the I am eating your dry food scam. She came over right away as expected. I sat at the table and pretended to eat some of her puppy kibble. I think she smelled the butterscotch in my mouth. As I offered her some of her dry food at the table and she was not fooled. She ate a piece or two and then kinda dropped any others I gave her on the floor.....

Will try tomorrow with the canned and dry food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,052,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalonn View Post
I did, and will have to make a trip to the grocery store for some eggs.

She would have no problem eating eggs, she loves all people food. I just tried the I am eating your dry food scam. She came over right away as expected. I sat at the table and pretended to eat some of her puppy kibble. I think she smelled the butterscotch in my mouth. As I offered her some of her dry food at the table and she was not fooled. She ate a piece or two and then kinda dropped any others I gave her on the floor.....

Will try tomorrow with the canned and dry food.
You're not going to have to play those games with her when you give her scrambled egg. And you're certainly not going to have to play the game when you give her the Stella & Chew's patties -- trust me. It's harder to incorporate pieces of egg with her kibble, so she'll likely leave a lot of the kibble over, but it's really easy to get the patties broken up into tiny pieces and they incorporate really well with the kibble.

Artie used to give me heart failure with how little he'd eat. When I switched his food, he'd like it for a while and then... POOF! Not interested. When I started mixing the patties in with them (and by the way, don't hydrate them -- break them up while they're still dehydated and dry), he was ALL OVER IT! He eats EVERYTHING in his bowl.

You'll get there with your girl. It's just a matter of finding the right "recipe," so to speak.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Well, the 5 different pet foods I purchased online all arrived. I first let her try the blue buffalo lamb and rice and she was sort of so-so, didn't really like it. Then I brought the Taste of the Wild to her with her nose sniffing and she initially seemed considerably more interested. She began to eat some of it but not very much. I let my other dog in,who went straight for the bowl and my puppy growled at her a little bit and ate a few more pieces. Still, not enough of a hit maybe, but after she was licking the TOTW bag, I thought this one may do it. I guess it still may, depending on if she is full from the plastic, wood and assorted other debris she has been eating lately as well as the dirt and grass from outdoors. She didn't eat much though. I wish this chewing problem would stop.

Oh yes, and she loves eggs and is very good at picking egg pieces out of her dry dog food to eat.

You guys have all been great and I am still trying with her. Everytime I think I am keeping her from eating stuff she shouldn't, I find out she manages to get more bad stuff. Last night my daughter shut her out of my bedroom because we were watching a show and she was barking. She had a choice of things on the table to get into if she was going to be naughty. Plastic silverware all wrapped up from fast food, or a cardboard box still containing lots of cheesesticks. She chose the plastic silverware and left the pizza cheesesticks alone, then also ate most of the plastic handle off of a tug of war dog toy.
I was quite dismayed when I discovered this. This choice is not normal for a dog. I don't think I have ever had a big dog who could be naughty and grab stuff off of the table or counter that would choose plastic over food before.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Well, the 5 different pet foods I purchased online all arrived. I first let her try the blue buffalo lamb and rice and she was sort of so-so, didn't really like it. Then I brought the Taste of the Wild to her with her nose sniffing and she initially seemed considerably more interested. She began to eat some of it but not very much. I let my other dog in,who went straight for the bowl and my puppy growled at her a little bit and ate a few more pieces. Still, not enough of a hit maybe, but after she was licking the TOTW bag, I thought this one may do it. I guess it still may, depending on if she is full from the plastic, wood and assorted other debris she has been eating lately as well as the dirt and grass from outdoors. She didn't eat much though. I wish this chewing problem would stop.
I can't wait for you to mix the TOTW (is it the bison/venison one? that's the one that Artie gets, mixed with Wellness Core) with a shredded Stella & Chewy's patty. That's where I suspect that you're going to see HUGE results.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:31 PM

It is the bison and venison one. It will be a few more days probably, maybe a week before the patties arrive. She was guarding the bowl for a bit, but stil barely ate any of her food. I am going to pick it up now. I am still thinking that this may be a food she likes <hoping> because at least she was interested in it and didn't just sniff it and walk away.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
It is the bison and venison one. It will be a few more days probably, maybe a week before the patties arrive. She was guarding the bowl for a bit, but stil barely ate any of her food. I am going to pick it up now. I am still thinking that this may be a food she likes <hoping> because at least she was interested in it and didn't just sniff it and walk away.
Fingers crossed!

She sounds like Artie, though. Interested for a while (whether it's a few minutes or a few days) but then PFFFT! Fuggedaboutit!

That said, I've been mixing in the shredded patty (I do a different flavor -- there are four of them -- every meal) and he gobbles up everything in his bowl, TOTW included. This good eating has been going on for a couple of months now -- A MIRACLE! (I hope it continues! )

Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 PM

I do too for you and your dogs sake! So maybe there is something internal with my dog too, in addition to seeming picky. She went straight to the box that contained the 5 different kinds of dog food and began sniffing it before I had even opened the box.

I left a large handful of the TOTW on the floor, incase she would eat a bit more and picked her bowl up. She isn't keen on letting my westie have her food on the floor, even though she has walked away. My westie happily ate some blue buffalo samples too. If I can get my puppy on a good quality dog food and she will be a good eater again, I will be thrilled. I have sooo many bags of excess dog food. But one day, if she reverts back to being a chow hound, maybe it will be good. I may put some of the excess dog food in bowls for the squirrels in the yard and other animals.

She is showing no interest again. I think I may not attempt to feed her today again, but tommorrow maybe try and set up a taste test by putting a small handfull of each dog food in a pile (keeping my westie away who suddenly has become a big eater and is gaining too much weight). I wonder if it will work. I used to shut my puppy in her cage with her food, so .she would pay attention to it and eat it down. Maybe I need to start doing that again.

Last edited by Avalonn; 05-21-2010 at 03:21 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,216,899 times
Is she underweight? You might try making some satin balls. When I got my wiem she wouldn't eat anything.. I had to hand feed her the satin balls to get her interested in eating again. She was only 40 lbs who now weighs almost 90, so they did work. Once she started eating them I mixed them with her kibble. Now I just give her regular kibble TOTW.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Is she underweight? You might try making some satin balls. When I got my wiem she wouldn't eat anything.. I had to hand feed her the satin balls to get her interested in eating again. She was only 40 lbs who now weighs almost 90, so they did work. Once she started eating them I mixed them with her kibble. Now I just give her regular kibble TOTW.
satin balls? what are they? She is small for her breed. She does need to gain some weight, but she isn't too terribly underweight, I think she is within the lowest range or a couple pounds off.

Well, decided to try the taste test tonight, just wanted to see. She is like a chef at an expensive restaurant. The first food she tried was the TOTW, her second choice, the only other one I have seen her eating yet is the Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. I should have video taped this. She picks up her second choice, one kibble, and takes it over to the carpet to eat it. Then she repeats this. Then she finally tried the Merrick, and I think that would be her second favorite as she ate half of that handfull. She finished the TOTW first though. She made noise to keep the Westie away from her 'food sample line'. She is finishing the Merrick now, it is the Cowboy cookout. Bison and venison for TOTW. She has also finished the Chicken Soup for the dog lovers soul.

She really hasn't touched the others yet. So 3 kinds she seems to like, but not enough to down a bowl of them yet. She left her current food, the natural balance, the before grain, the blue buffalo pretty much alone so far. My westie is eyeing all the goodies that my puppy has left there.

This has been pretty interesting to watch her. She is sniffing the bags before eating the food. Sniffing the food. taking a piece at a time to try.

Oh my, she seems like the pickiest of small children right now.

I let my Westie check out the remaining food. She went straight for the Before Grain Chicken. She finished eating the remaining food.

Last edited by Avalonn; 05-21-2010 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 04:14 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,430,239 times
I googled it but have heard very good things about Satin Balls -

Satin Balls Recipe - Health & Nutritional Care

Satin Balls Recipe
"Satin Balls" are a total canine diet. But be very careful, as it will put weight on a dog fast, if you feed enough. It can be feed by itself, but because it is so rich and high in calories, I only feed as a supplement.

So, if you have a sick dog needing to be built up or an underweight dog dog with little or no appetite, they may do very well on "Satin Balls" as a supplement.
Also, I give about a 1/4 pound occasionally, to maintain beautiful coats and energy level.
Don't mix or hide Satin Balls in with kibble, your dog will make a mess of the kibble, trying to get to the Satin Balls.
It is perfectly fine to freeze Satin Balls in pre-formed and weighed portions.
When mixing the ingredients, it is a gooey mass. For easy clean up purposes, I wear Latex Exam Gloves and mix by hand ...lol... but that is just me.
There are many sites with recipes for "Satin Balls", but I chose the following, because it breaks the recipe down into various sizes.

My dogs love Satin Balls and I bet yours will too

[SIZE=3]Satin Balls ~~~[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]All ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it. [/SIZE]

[LEFT][SIZE=2]1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 raw egg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]6 Tablespoons wheat germ[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 package Knox unflavored gelatin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2 Tablespoons vegetable oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Pinch of salt [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Satin Balls Half Recipe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]5 raw eggs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]5/8 cup unsulfured molasses[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Pinch of salt [/SIZE]
[/LEFT]

[LEFT][SIZE=2]Satin Balls Full Recipe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]10 raw eggs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 15oz jar wheat germ[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Pinch of salt[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Notes:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"Whole Wheat Total" cereal (blue box) comes in large 1 lb 2 oz size (about 12 cups settled) and a smaller 12 oz size (about 8 cups cereal), which would work in Little Dog or Half Recipe. But in the long run, the large size is more economical. Don't get Raisin Total or Lo Carb Total.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Uncooked Oatmeal like "Quaker Old Fashioned Oats" and less expensive supermarket house brand, come in large 2 lb 10oz size (15 cups oats) or smaller 18 oz size (about 7 cups oats). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]15oz jar of wheat germ is about 4 cups. Some stores only carry a 12oz jar of wheat germ, which contains about 3 and 1/4 cups of it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Vegetable oil -- use a good one. I use olive oil.[/SIZE]

You will find additional notes and comments at the following site ~ http://theherbs.info/Pets/satinball.html[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs