Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:43 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,092,446 times

Advertisements

Karolina You are trying to get info and that is commendable. But some of your comments suggest you are a novice as far as dogs go. So I suggest before you make a decision you really investigate the prois and cons of different breeds. The grooming is expensive and also a necessity. Some breeds do not require professional grooming if you are willing to keep them clean and brushed yourself. Some are healthier than others. Some good with young kids, some not so much. Some more docile and easier to leave alone for periods of time. By the way, rescues have puppies. At any rate this site gives a good bit of info about different breeds. Click on REVIEW OF THE BREED

180 Purebred Dog Breeds - Dog Breed Reviews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 29,109 times
Karolina, Coton's, like Yorkie's and Maltese have HAIR, not fur. You keep reading they have hair because they do. Hair sheds within itself, the dead hair doesn't fall all over your carpet, it stays on the dog and mats and tangles up if not brushed every day. Dogs with fur like Golden Retriever's, Huskies, Labs, etc shed, most all over your house without proper grooming. Anything living and breathing, sheds. Even you shed hair. Left unbrushed, it knots. Some dogs have 2 or even 3 coats of fur, pomeranian, huskies, and so on. Those dogs are northern dogs bred for cold weather regardless of where they live. They have an undercoat, a thick water repellent cottony coat that is there for protection of the elements and needs to be removed to prevent overinsulating or underinsulating the dog.

If I were you with a small child and long work hours, I'd personally wait until you have the time and resources to get a dog. In the meantime, I'd get something easy like a goldfish. But if you're dead set on a dog, get something easy, like a Pekingnese or a short coated small dog who doesn't need a lot of attention.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 421 times
I am deciding between another Bichon OR switching to a Coton. It is just the 2 of us (ages 58&59), who are home most of the time; however, we do take occasional trips. I have already located a reputable breeder for each. My MAIN reasons to switch to the Coton would be: 1. If kept short, and brushed regularly, can Cotons go for a longer period of time without "cutting the hair?" Any difference in other grooming requirements, i.e., ears, nails, etc. 2. Are Cotons, in general, a little more laid back, less likely to bark, or easier to travel with? If anyone has either or these breeds, and can comment on these topics, I'd VERY MUCH appreciate hearing back from you.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 805,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Dogs View Post
I am deciding between another Bichon OR switching to a Coton. It is just the 2 of us (ages 58&59), who are home most of the time; however, we do take occasional trips. I have already located a reputable breeder for each. My MAIN reasons to switch to the Coton would be: 1. If kept short, and brushed regularly, can Cotons go for a longer period of time without "cutting the hair?" Any difference in other grooming requirements, i.e., ears, nails, etc. 2. Are Cotons, in general, a little more laid back, less likely to bark, or easier to travel with? If anyone has either or these breeds, and can comment on these topics, I'd VERY MUCH appreciate hearing back from you.
I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you've found a reputable breeder of Cotons, then they would be your best resource for information about the breed. An ethical and reputable breeder has no problem placing their pups and they do not want them to end up in an unsuitable home; they should answer your questions honestly, even it means they may be deterring a potential buyer. If you do a search on FB, you're likely to find at least one Coton group and you can join that. I did that with some breeds on my short list, and after following the group for a few weeks and reading posts, I decided those were not the breed for me. Also, crazy as it is, I take into consideration the PEOPLE associated with the breed. I wanted a Welsh terrier for a long time, but after being in a couple of groups, I decided I didn't care for the Welsh community. The breed that won me over, in addition to the breed, were the personalities of the people that tend to own them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs