Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
They aren't really delicate dogs....and they aren't tiny, and they are known to be great dogs for children. They aren't fragile at all....rather strong dogs. I understand rescues' concerns, but honestly, there are a lot of people that aren't idiots out there. A rescue that I got my 2nd dobe from almost didn't give me a chance, even thought I raised a dobe around my kids, was a vet tech, trained dogs for clients.....I know they have rules for a reason, but geez, not everyone is an idiot that raises kids that are idiots. I am now on my third dobe and have always had a small dog with each one.

I think it would be more beneficial to assess potential owner and their kids in their environment and maybe a lot more dogs would be in homes. A lot of people are too intimidated to go to rescues (which I would prefer to go to) because of all of the hard fast rules. There should always be some grey area, don't you think? I'm pretty sure the OP, being that she is getting loads of info beforehand, has assessed whether or not her child has the ability to have self-control and awareness around a dog. Now, my sister's 4 yr old....no way, he's Don't get me wrong, I know rescues have rules for a reason, but not everyone has a hellion child
I agree with the above. As I have said before I was born into a house with 2 dogs and there were 4 of us kids this was back in the late 50's early 60's when spaying/neutering was not a big thing and in an area in Wisconsin where dogs pretty much ran free.Our Little BC had quite a few puppies and the puppies got dragged all over by us kids ( check out my profile photo as that is me as a toddler with some of the puppies, unhappy because my dad was making a poster to find homes for the puppies when they were older of course but he always started looking early and so they all had homes when the day came). Not one puppy was ever hurt by any of us young kids or our friends as yes all the neighbor kids also dragged our puppies all over. These puppies were so well socialized to kids! Having Dogs at such a young age in my life was a great experience and I hate to think of missing out on it because others think puppies/dogs should not be in homes with young kids! I really do not get why so many are against dogs with young kids as most of my friends had dogs when they were toddlers too. with supervision dogs and kids are great together!

Yes Coton's are on the smaller size but they are not that small and delicate as my friend says they are a pretty sturdy breed and her daughters two love kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM

53 posts, read 179,217 times
Let me address some concerns. My daughter is indeed not a hellion. Whether a small or large dog, I would not leave her alone with the dog. This is both her and the dog's safety. She has been around cats, and they are still standing. As earlier stated, I would LOVE a big dog (specifically a pit) but I do not have a large yard, and do not feel they would be adequately exercised, which is not fair to the dog. As far as walking during the day, I just don't have that kind of money. I would rather save money for training, grooming, vet bills ect. I know many people who have dogs and work, not everyone has the luxury of having to continuesly pay for a walker. As far as traveling, it would be by plane. I have already looked into flights that allow for dogs as a carryon (I have a kid, so that means two pieces of carry on for me ) and then we would be staying with my parents, so the hotel is not an issue. As I stated, I do not want a rescue dog just because I have such specific needs, and want to try and see they are met. The dogs I see available are often older (sorry but I really want a puppy) an unknown mix that may get too large, or a terrier. Terriers are cute, but have a tendency to be more hyper and chase cats (my parents have cats, that wouldn't work) Trust me, I would much rather adopt a dog, it simply isn't the practical choice. That is how I can to look into Cotons. Its most likely between them and Cavalier spaniels. I didn't know the grooming was that much of an issue. Sounds like it would be best to keep it short. Once it's matted, is that really bad? Sorry, I don't know much about long haired dogs.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM

157 posts, read 446,149 times
Agree...our Coton is very sturdy. Not delicate at all. She loves to play with the kids and big dogs! They are truly a great family dog!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Rescues come in all ages and sizes. They're not all old.

I see what you've said about dog walkers, but how're you going to meet the bathroom needs of your dog during the day? Especially a puppy. And working makes housetraining your dog that much more difficult.

Just some things to consider.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
The one little guy I know of, is far from the dainty little dog one thinks of...as in a Bischon. He is a tough little guy who keeps up with the all the kids. Far from "scrappy"....just playful and tough!

The OP has already stated what she is looking for... a PB and it sounds as tho she has done her homework. She stated she does not want a mix breed.... so why try and force something on her, she does not want?

Old 08-27-2009, 04:16 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,677 times
Well, I do agree with viral on one thing....I have gotten 2 dobes from dobe rescues and they were both puppies!!! Granted they weren't weeks old, but one was 4 months and one was 6 months. I guess I missed out on the 'cutest' phase, but I also missed the majority of the messiest/poopiest age. They were at a good age to train and I was happy to rescue them and felt blessed to still have some puppy left in them. You might want to look and see if there are any coton rescues that might have puppies....I am positive that the previous owners of mine just gave up out of frustration with the housebreaking and chewing and such.

I am sooooo glad that you have done some homework into this. They do make great apartment dogs, and really great companions. The only negative that I would have (all groomers love white dogs and hair to mess around and get creative with) is that hair that matts daily. But if you do keep it trimmed short every 3-4 weeks and a short brush out daily, I'm sure you can keep it under control. visit groomers.net they have a forum board that has plenty of advice for great shampoos and conditioners and products to help maintain a difficult coat. I absolutely love the personality and behavior of this breed, but as busy as I am, I find it hard to find time to brush my daughter's hair and mine, the last thing I would want to do is brush the dog Glad your kid isn't a hellion, I figured as much!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 29,106 times
"Once it's matted, is that really bad? " Are you kidding me? A reasonable, rational person is asking if matted dog hair really that bad? Try not washing or brushing your hair for 4-6 weeks. I'm sorry to be so rude....but goodness grascious, have we no common sense? Matted hair, pulls, tugs, and is painful to the dog. Let it go bad enough and the hair folicles underneath the matt die from lack of oxygen leaving a bald spot. People, Coton's have hair like you and I, its not fur. It grows, sheds and tangles as the dead hair is releasing itself from the skin and needs washing and brushing just like your hair. I have been in the pet grooming industry for 17 years, I have seen it all. I love what I do and I do it well but I can't believe how many people get a dog because "its so cute" without any thought as to how they are going to properly care for it.

Do you have money for vet bills? Grooming every 4-6 weeks? Its just not the coat that needs caring for, its the skin, ears, nails, anal glands....it all has to be done. Don't tell me you don't know what anal glands are! Let's talk about fleas! Infestation (it takes only one to produce 1000 eggs every 2 weeks) Truly, I think in my most professional opinion, you should really think about the money and time a dog needs to be properly cared for and read up on the breed before you buy a dog. Its not about what the dog will provide you, its what you can provide for it.

If you think you can groom this dog or any dog at home, read up on what's involved. If you wash it at home and let it air dry, be prepared for tangles, ear infections, impacted anal glands, ulcerated eyes, nails growing into the pads, unless you do your homework. Talk to a professional on the care it needs and how to properly do it yourself if you dead set on doing so, based on knowledge not a whim. Dogs needs exercise and social interaction. Who will spend time training your new puppy. Do you have the knowledge to train it yourself or the money to pay for a trainer. Do you have time for all this or will the dog sit in an apartment 10 hours a day?

At least your asking questions and that's a start. Remember a dog is a living animal that needs more than dog food and an occasional pat on the head.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
I suggest strongly you get some more info about this breed. The breed is noted for severe separation anxiety and barking and chewing if left alone for more than a few hours. They are not good dogs for very young children(though they are great for older kids) or being left alone.

There are breeds that are more content to be alone for a day while you work---they would be a much better choice. Also--there are better breeds for four year olds.

You might want to consider an adult dog or even one a bit up in age that would be more docile. A puppy would be a problem with your lifestyle, I would think. If two dogs are possible-then the separation anxiety may be less important. But--do be careful and consider this issue.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 AM

53 posts, read 179,217 times
Mod cut: not necessaryI keep reading that they have hair not fur. Are there any other dogs like this? I can't conceptualize this in my mind. Are they still soft when they are pet? I cant imagine petting hair.

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-28-2009 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: Not necessary, rude

Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypawspa View Post
"Once it's matted, is that really bad? " Are you kidding me? A reasonable, rational person is asking if matted dog hair really that bad? Try not washing or brushing your hair for 4-6 weeks. I'm sorry to be so rude....but goodness grascious, have we no common sense? Matted hair, pulls, tugs, and is painful to the dog. Let it go bad enough and the hair folicles underneath the matt die from lack of oxygen leaving a bald spot. People, Coton's have hair like you and I, its not fur. It grows, sheds and tangles as the dead hair is releasing itself from the skin and needs washing and brushing just like your hair. I have been in the pet grooming industry for 17 years, I have seen it all. I love what I do and I do it well but I can't believe how many people get a dog because "its so cute" without any thought as to how they are going to properly care for it.

Do you have money for vet bills? Grooming every 4-6 weeks? Its just not the coat that needs caring for, its the skin, ears, nails, anal glands....it all has to be done. Don't tell me you don't know what anal glands are! Let's talk about fleas! Infestation (it takes only one to produce 1000 eggs every 2 weeks) Truly, I think in my most professional opinion, you should really think about the money and time a dog needs to be properly cared for and read up on the breed before you buy a dog. Its not about what the dog will provide you, its what you can provide for it.

If you think you can groom this dog or any dog at home, read up on what's involved. If you wash it at home and let it air dry, be prepared for tangles, ear infections, impacted anal glands, ulcerated eyes, nails growing into the pads, unless you do your homework. Talk to a professional on the care it needs and how to properly do it yourself if you dead set on doing so, based on knowledge not a whim. Dogs needs exercise and social interaction. Who will spend time training your new puppy. Do you have the knowledge to train it yourself or the money to pay for a trainer. Do you have time for all this or will the dog sit in an apartment 10 hours a day?

At least your asking questions and that's a start. Remember a dog is a living animal that needs more than dog food and an occasional pat on the head.
Personal attack. Not necessary.

To Kalolina:
They do have fur. They just don't have fur like a husky.... For example, I groom two Maltese every two weeks (I do others but they are done every 4 weeks with little problem). One is able to have long hair like the dogs in showcoats, but she HAS to come every two weeks or she'd be one big mat. The other probably 'could' come once a month, but he'd definitely have a lot of matting that would have to be clipped out because his coat is so curly (think human perm looking here!) but she brings him twice monthly so he doesn't end up with mats. Theirs is probably the type of coat to be considered more human, like a cotons (whose hair resembles a brushed out bad perm!!) Cotons are extremely soft!! Their coat is very cottony and wavy. Cottony coats are the ones that mat the easiest, and they are the hardest to demat. That is where the problem lies. The dematting.

Hair like that of a husky or collie mats, but it is usually clumps of hair that has been shed that wasn't brushed out for a while. Have you ever seen a dog that always tangles behind the ears? That is more tangled hair, it is not a high-shedding place, it is also silkier/softer/wavier than the rest of the dog. I can't tell you how many golden retrievers that I have seen without a single mat on them, except for huge mats behind the ears. As for the rest of the dog if it mats, it is easier than a coton to demat, because the hair is hair that was shed already...it comes out of the coat easier. With a coton, it is hair that wasn't shed...it is still attached...Ow!

So there you have it, hair 101. I'm glad that you are asking questions, it is good to be armed with information before making a big decision, better than regretting what you did. If you would rather PM me, I would be happy to give you the info on the products that I use on the coton that I do, such as shampoo, conditioner, brushes. Mod cut: not necessary

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-28-2009 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Not necessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs