Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 AM

256 posts, read 453,491 times

Advertisements

My Emmy (Lab - service dog) gets yeast infections. Floppy eared dogs tend to do that. She also has numerous inhalant allergies. I clean her ears daily and keep them dried out using a mixture of 1/2 c water, 1/4 c rubbing alcohol, and 1/4 c white vinegar. I instill this, rub her ear bases well, let her "shake it out," then use a "Swissper" to sop up any remaining in her ear canals (I do go deep to be sure there is NO dampness at all. Then I instill a few drops of Momentomax. It's an antibiotic / anti-fungal combination medication.

Because of her allergies, she is on an antihistamine that is helping immensely. She still over-grooms her feet, but this is slowing down.

You don't have to have a dog tested for allergies like humans. Just try a little of this or that to see what works. Allergy testing is expensive. Try a hypoallergenic food, with NO treats except the hypoallergenic food kibbles being given at meals. No other possible food allergens should be permitted.

Trying antihistamines is cheap. Your vet can tell you which one to use and what dosage should be tried. Emmy is on 50mg of Benadryl twice a day. If this seems to work for the long haul, I can get it for about $4.00 or $5.00 for a huge jar of it at Costco.

Just some thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,029 times
Unhappy English Bulldog ,Red, wet Ears all of the time

Hello,
I own a white male English Bulldog, when he turned 5 years old he started to develop moist ears, he would constantly shake his head and fluid would line his ears, also, his ears would turn bright red at night and her would pant non stop almost as though he had a fever. We took him to our Vet and he determined that it was some type of food allergy. We then switched his food to a 2 ingredient dog food grain -free (potato & Duck),however,he will not eat just dry food, I had to mix baked chicken breasts up with the dry. He seemed to be getting better, his ears started drying up.Now he started back up with the same problem. I now give him Benadryl 2 tablets 3 times a day and clean his ears out with Q-tips 3 times a day. Can anyone help me,I would forever be in your debt,I hate to see my Mikey suffer,I love him so much!

Mikeysmom

Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,387,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysmom View Post
Hello,
I own a white male English Bulldog, when he turned 5 years old he started to develop moist ears, he would constantly shake his head and fluid would line his ears, also, his ears would turn bright red at night and her would pant non stop almost as though he had a fever. We took him to our Vet and he determined that it was some type of food allergy. We then switched his food to a 2 ingredient dog food grain -free (potato & Duck),however,he will not eat just dry food, I had to mix baked chicken breasts up with the dry. He seemed to be getting better, his ears started drying up.Now he started back up with the same problem. I now give him Benadryl 2 tablets 3 times a day and clean his ears out with Q-tips 3 times a day. Can anyone help me,I would forever be in your debt,I hate to see my Mikey suffer,I love him so much!

Mikeysmom
Zymox. Works great. I just use it once each 7/10days or, if my dogs have been wet. Swimming or baths.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,544,663 times
I hope you get the ear situation figured out. I hate when my pups have to suffer from some illness, so I can imagine what you're going through.

My dog Buster has been having skin problems recently. At the beginning of the year he was treated for sarcoptic mange, then last month a staph infection and when that didn't clear up I took him back and they decided it was seasonal allergies because of the times of years he's been brought in. What didn't really make sense to me was the time he was diagnosed with mange it was February. He had been a few times in the fall/spring, but I'm skeptical that it's seasonal. I'm going to go get some new food tomorrow that is grain/corn and whatever else free. I know it's best to transition them to a new food, but at this point if it helps I'll deal with the runny poops for a few days lol

He's a pug mix so I expected some kind of allergies or breathing problems.

If anyone has any tips on skin problems, please feel free to pass them on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs