Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times

Advertisements

The pup has been shaking her head. She also seems a little restless. I cleaned her ears as best I could with Epi-Otic, and got some brown stuff out, but not a lot (she digs in my raised beds, so no surprise that she has dirt in her ears).

She has been whining, too. Is there a way to tell if she has an ear infection? I hate to pay for an office visit charge if it's just dirty ears. But I don't know how to tell if it's an infection. Maybe a visit to the vet tech for an ear cleaning? Then if they see a problem, I could see the vet.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between an infection and just dirty ears?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i would have a vet tech or groomer clean her ears properly, if they see any redness then off to the vet for a proper ear check...

it could just be dirty ears, but if shes whining/scratching/shaking her head ect its likley mites or an ear infection...if she digs alot in the beds dont be suprised if shes picked up ear mites (they look like dirt too!)

Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Smell. Stick your nose in her ear. If it does not smell clean its probably an infection. If she is whining that's also a good sign. Don't wait get into a vet.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:14 PM

We're heading off to the vet. I can't stand to see her shaking her head and don't want an emergency over the weekend either.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:14 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Smell. Stick your nose in her ear. If it does not smell clean its probably an infection. If she is whining that's also a good sign. Don't wait get into a vet.
Yup, the smell is unmistakable! I'm all too familiar with ear infections! PC has one and is on anti fungal drops right now. No matter how often I cleaned his ears, the brown discharge came back the next day. He never scratched or whined, but I always pick up on his issues long before the vet! Give it a good whiff, you'll know if it's yeasty!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:17 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Yup, the smell is unmistakable! I'm all too familiar with ear infections! PC has one and is on anti fungal drops right now. No matter how often I cleaned his ears, the brown discharge came back the next day. He never scratched or whined, but I always pick up on his issues long before the vet! Give it a good whiff, you'll know if it's yeasty!

I won't go any further.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Totally agree MAK. I've got three on MalOtic for ear infections and another on meds and special baths for yeast infection no only in her ears but on her skin. The yeast infection is by far the worst smelling of them. You can smell her just when she comes in the room. *gag*

Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 PM

That's so strange because I whiffed her ears and all I smell is Epi-Otic solution. She is a smelly dog, but it's mostly her feet.

BUT, the vet said it was a yeast infection and gave me Synotic drops to put into her ears. When they swabbed her ears, brown gunk came out on the stick swab. I asked if they shouldn't clean her ears before starting treatment and they said no. That didn't really sound right to me, but I guess we'll see how she responds. She had no fever. $127 Grrrr...

The worst part is she had an altercation with another dog in the lobby. She has "barrier frustration" which means when she sees another dog while on-leash, she screams with excitement. It's not aggression, but it's incredibly loud and alarming and scares everyone. The other dog did it back, so it was awful in the lobby, and all the staff came out. I called a trainer....I need to nip this in the bud with intensive training.

But, ok, at least her ears are hopefully on the mend...

Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,802 times
My dog is doing the same thing.. But her ears just smell like ear wax and its scabs growing on her ears.. She also digs into the bed.. I don't know what to do.. I'm not in the financial situation to pay for the high cost of the medical bill. Can anyone recommend me an over the counter medicine..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs