Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

November we took the dog to a new vet and they diagnosed an ear infection. We did all the meds and she seemed okay.
Well, after taking her for her one year (Back to our old vet) she has another infection.

We've done the drops and yes, she STILL has it...(my husband is horrible about doing the medicine and I need help with her when I put the drops in). So today in the recheck we go and find out 'more' how to flush her ears.

Vet gave us a nice lecture how to rub the med in...no one the first 2 times explained WHERE to rub her ears.. (underneath..)

Anyhow, we have to clean her ears 2 times a week now to cure and prevent it.

We've decided we have to get a muzzle to do this procedure...she's too wild without one.

Well, that is my saga. Hopefully someday on these forums I will have some good news to report in SOME thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:21 PM

38 posts, read 128,202 times
I sympathize with you! I have an 8 year old poodle/terrier mix and he got ear mites a few months ago. I treated them with some drops from WalMart and he seemed to be doing better. Well, he started having problems with his ears again last week so I started using the drops again and Friday night he wakes up from a dead sleep, picks his head up and it's bobbing and weaving everywhere. I pick him up and his legs go straight out in front of him like he has no control of them. I take him outside and sit him down and he can't stand up, head is bobbing still and he vomits. When he can finally stand, he runs down the back steps into the yard and he's walking sideways, almost falling down and throws up again. I was thinking the worst, that he had a stroke or something. Then about 10 minutes after the "episode" he's back to normal. I live in a small rural town and vets aren't open 24 hours and don't have an emergency service but thankfully they're open on Saturday mornings. I take him in and he has a severe ear infection so they gave me drops and antibiotics. They said he probably had a bad case of vertigo because of the weaving and vomiting. He's doing better now but it was a pretty bad scare!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM

35 posts, read 290,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
November we took the dog to a new vet and they diagnosed an ear infection. We did all the meds and she seemed okay.
Well, after taking her for her one year (Back to our old vet) she has another infection.

We've done the drops and yes, she STILL has it...(my husband is horrible about doing the medicine and I need help with her when I put the drops in). So today in the recheck we go and find out 'more' how to flush her ears.

Vet gave us a nice lecture how to rub the med in...no one the first 2 times explained WHERE to rub her ears.. (underneath..)

Anyhow, we have to clean her ears 2 times a week now to cure and prevent it.

We've decided we have to get a muzzle to do this procedure...she's too wild without one.

Well, that is my saga. Hopefully someday on these forums I will have some good news to report in SOME thread.

Mine had an ear infection last year and we had the worst time cleaning his ears, let alone putting in the medicine!

We got baby wet wipes (chemical free/unscented) and warmed them, then when he was relaxing we'd start rubbing his ears, and then would discreetly slip in the wipe and clean his ears. After, as he was busy sniffing the used wipe (ew), we'd put the medicated drops onto soft cotton rags or a new wet wipe, and voila, clean and mediated ears I know it wasted a lot of the medicine, but the infection cleared up quickly and he hasn't had a problem since. Maybe baby wipes would work for you too?

I am not promoting anyone do this without checking with a vet, and this may sound really weird, but my childhood dog had lots of ear probems (floppy ears) and every so often my mother would clean her ears using Monistat. That was what the vet recommended, instead of using the prescription medicine all the time. (Great vet, actually more concerned with treating the animals than promoting money-making products.) It worked very well...though I was so embarassed when one day after school my friends came over and saw Monistat and Q-tips on the coffee table :-)

Good luck! Hope her infection clears up quickly!

Last edited by MadisonM; 02-24-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonM View Post
Mine had an ear infection last year and we had the worst time cleaning his ears, let alone putting in the medicine!

We got baby wet wipes (chemical free/unscented) and warmed them, then when he was relaxing we'd start rubbing his ears, and then would discreetly slip in the wipe and clean his ears. After, as he was busy sniffing the used wipe (ew), we'd put the medicated drops onto soft cotton rags or a new wet wipe, and voila, clean and mediated ears I know it wasted a lot of the medicine, but the infection cleared up quickly and he hasn't had a problem since. Maybe baby wipes would work for you too?

I am not promoting anyone do this without checking with a vet, and this may sound really weird, but my childhood dog had lots of ear probems (floppy ears) and every so often my mother would clean her ears using Monistat. That was what the vet recommended, instead of using the prescription medicine all the time. (Great vet, actually more concerned with treating the animals than promoting money-making products.) It worked very well...though I was so embarassed when one day after school my friends came over and saw Monistat and Q-tips on the coffee table :-)

Good luck! Hope her infection clears up quickly!
Great idea...she may let me do this.
She lets me play with her ears, but if she sees drop bottle or cotton or tissues she goes crazy and tries to snap. We're going to get a muzzle to help us out.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I feel for you as well . Giving any dog meds is pretty bad cause I have a terror of a chihuahua that does not like any kind of meds going into her and she gets pretty wild as well . so good luck and hope all turns out well for you and the dog .

Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
My dog has constant problems with ear infections also and he is a 120 lb German Shepherd so putting the drops in is just about impossible. Even our vet has a time cleaning his ears. The last time he put him to sleep to clean them and actually used a laser to open one of them up and he has done better since then. We try to use the swimmer's ear in betwee to keep them dry inside. He doesn't ever go swimming and when we bathe him we put cotton in his ears so I am not sure why this keeps happening.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 AM

dixiegirl7, our vet explained the shape of a dog's ear and how wax gets trapped inside.

I think some dogs are just prone to this. Ours has floppy ears.

I guess there are worse things your dog could have, right?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
I wrangle my 115 pound male bloodhound to do his ear cleanings as he hates smell of cleaner see's bottle and runs. I have wife or kids go up and pet him I sneak behind him grab collar and stand over his back and they hold up his ears put in cleaner and they rub for at least a minute get in deep. Then let him shake.
I clean every 2 weeks unless see him rub ears as he was prone to infections when a puppy but now with cleanings(knock on wood) been 2 years no infection.
Other times just rub dogs ears with no cloth no swabs anything just to get them used to ears being rubbed. I start mine out doing this at 2 weeks old and keep working them all.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I wrangle my 115 pound male bloodhound to do his ear cleanings as he hates smell of cleaner see's bottle and runs. I have wife or kids go up and pet him I sneak behind him grab collar and stand over his back and they hold up his ears put in cleaner and they rub for at least a minute get in deep. Then let him shake.
I clean every 2 weeks unless see him rub ears as he was prone to infections when a puppy but now with cleanings(knock on wood) been 2 years no infection.
Other times just rub dogs ears with no cloth no swabs anything just to get them used to ears being rubbed. I start mine out doing this at 2 weeks old and keep working them all.
Ours sees the bottle and hides under the desk. If I try to get near her ears with anything but my hand she snaps or makes like she will.

Like I said, even my husband has realized we need to muzzle her just to clear up the infection.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I'm moving this to the dogs forum, so you can get more advice... best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs