Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,400,923 times

Advertisements

I know there are lot of questions, but let me know what you think, please. I am after your opinions....

These questions are between dog breeders....
1. When you offer someone a pick of puppies, they pick one, but then before it leaves the breeders it dies or is not the quality they intended, is the person just out of luck? They either get the poor quality puppy or no puppy if theirs died?

2. Would you ship a prenant female cargo 2 weeks before her due date?

3. What is the longest layover you would accept for your dog/puppy flying cargo. I hate flying dogs cargo, but the owner insisted.

4. Would you have a layover three times longer just so you could save time in your drive to the airport?

5. What do you all use to disinfect your dog/puppy areas?

6. Would you breed a female that had a whole litter ill because of a metabolic issue that MIGHT be genetically connected?

7. Would you leave a female that is due to whelp?

8. How soon after the babies are born do you feel it is safe to be away from them and the mother for longer than a few hours?

9. When you co-own dogs do all of the dogs live with other people?

10. If you co-own ******* and they whelp, does the person that cares for the ***** and babies deserve any extra compensation?

11. Would you expect extra compensation if your male was the sire to a co-owned litter?

12. When you charge someone for transportation, is it only the actual charges for the dog flying (cargo or courier), or do you also include other expenses related to the transportation of the dog, like vet fees, carriers/crates, your time to and from the airport, mileage on your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I know there are lot of questions, but let me know what you think, please. I am after your opinions....

1. When you offer someone a pick of puppies, they pick one, but then before it leaves the breeders it dies or is not the quality they intended, is the person just out of luck? They either get the poor quality puppy or no puppy if theirs died? Depends on what the contract says. That's why you always talk about these things and put them in the contract before you breed.

2. Would you ship a prenant female cargo 2 weeks before her due date?No way

3. What is the longest layover you would accept for your dog/puppy flying cargo. I hate flying dogs cargo, but the owner insisted.I'd find a new owner. No dog or puppy of mine would even fly cargo. Ever!

4. Would you have a layover three times longer just so you could save time in your drive to the airport?I hate layovers, so no. Flying is unfamiliar to dogs and therefor stressful. I'd be more worried about reducing the dogs or puppy's stress level that I've imposed on it, instead of being selfish and worrying about my drive time.

5. What do you all use to disinfect your dog/puppy areas? Bleach. It's the only proven cleaning product that will kill several very dangerous viruses, like Parvo.

6. Would you breed a female that had a whole litter ill because of a metabolic issue that MIGHT be genetically connected? Good God in Heaven, no. How would breeding her again and taking that chance be helping the breed???

7. Would you leave a female that is due to whelp?Never. Ever. Period. Any decent breeder plans on being by that dog's side 24/7 during that time.

8. How soon after the babies are born do you feel it is safe to be away from them and the mother for longer than a few hours?Minimum 2 weeks, but for me I'd not leave for 4 weeks unless there is someone else there to supervise.

9. When you co-own dogs do all of the dogs live with other people? I don't understand. Where else would the dogs live? In a kennel? I'm confused.

10. If you co-own ******* and they whelp, does the person that cares for the ***** and babies deserve any extra compensation? No. That's part of owning the dog. And I'd think - again - that where she is living / who she's living with would be in the contract when you sign it.

11. Would you expect extra compensation if your male was the sire to a co-owned litter?No. A litter is a litter. Period. It's not like you get extra for him producing 12 instead of 6.

12. When you charge someone for transportation, is it only the actual charges for the dog flying (cargo or courier), or do you also include other expenses related to the transportation of the dog, like vet fees, carriers/crates, your time to and from the airport, mileage on your car?
Again, I wouldn't allow anyone else to do my job. I'd be the one taking them to the airport. And quite frankly if there was an emergency and my dog had to fly they'd go in the cabin with me where their health could be monitored.

I certainly hope you didn't go breeding your dog and not know the answer to these questions. If you're just curious, I'll help where I can in red above.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 16,509 times
Why shop when you can adopt. For anyone in the Breeding Buisness please tell me you are a animale lover not just a money maker. They are not a buisness, I do understand it has to be done but in no way should it put ANY physical or emotional stress on all dogs involved!! Keep it local, keep it few, keep it healthy.. Your litter will be stronger in the end.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:27 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Why is the O.P. asking all these questions? Just curious!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,559,654 times
I don't think a healthy puppy with good nerves is really all that stressed from air transport at the right time. I have certainly recieved a puppy that way and the puppy came out of the crate with zero signs of stress. People do it all the time. I did drive 3 hours so the dog could get to a regional airport early in the am instead of midday at a large busy airport.

If breeders were more concerned about what they bred, they could produce dogs with the nerve strength to not really be phased by air transport.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,233,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Exactly my thoughts! Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by leorah; 03-29-2009 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: inapppropriate comment

Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I'm asking these questions because I'm in a major conversation with a friend on these issues. I've been breeding and showing a toy breed for about 4 years now. I've taken a number of seminars on breeding, and have attended the K9 College Cruise twice.

My major conversation with a friend--is just that--it is not a fight. What we both wanted was additional input--based on experience and knowledge.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,219,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post

1. When you offer someone a pick of puppies, they pick one, but then before it leaves the breeders it dies or is not the quality they intended, is the person just out of luck? They either get the poor quality puppy or no puppy if theirs died? Depends on what they wanted the pup for. If the puppy is alive and healthy it's there pup. If the pup dies, depending on why it died, then I would replace it.

2. Would you ship a pregnant female cargo 2 weeks before her due date? Absolutely NOT!!!

3. What is the longest layover you would accept for your dog/puppy flying cargo. I hate flying dogs cargo, but the owner insisted. I would say no more than 4 hours.

4. Would you have a layover three times longer just so you could save time in your drive to the airport? NO

5. What do you all use to disinfect your dog/puppy areas? A mild bleach or vinegar solution.

6. Would you breed a female that had a whole litter ill because of a metabolic issue that MIGHT be genetically connected? I would never breed any of our dogs if they weren't 100% healthy.

7. Would you leave a female that is due to whelp? Never, I know some ignorant people who have and paid the price.

8. How soon after the babies are born do you feel it is safe to be away from them and the mother for longer than a few hours? Depends on the Dam, but I wouldn't leave my place with new pups until they were at least a week old, but older is better.

9. When you co-own dogs do all of the dogs live with other people? Never been in that situation

10. If you co-own ******* and they whelp, does the person that cares for the ***** and babies deserve any extra compensation? All of this should be worked out before she is bred.

11. Would you expect extra compensation if your male was the sire to a co-owned litter? Same as above

For shipping puppies you should always add the extra cost to ship the pup onto the price of the pup, such as health certificate, crate, shipping, and yes some people charge for mileage.

Some of these questions make you seem very much about the money. Anyone who gets into breeding ANY animal should be in it soley for the purpose of bettering that breed...not for money. Besides any ethical breeder will tell you that there is no money in breeding, sometimes your lucky to break even. I do it cause I love the breed and love seeing that healthy happy puppy join their new family and the joy it brings to them and the friendships that are made between us and the pups new family.
Sure one can make money if they feed the cheapest of foods, don't provide required medical care, and don't put anything into their animals, and breed their ******* every single cycle...then yeah it's all profit, and those are the ones who make their animals suffer and have no business breeding.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Some of these questions make you seem very much about the money. Anyone who gets into breeding ANY animal should be in it soley for the purpose of bettering that breed...not for money. Besides any ethical breeder will tell you that there is no money in breeding, sometimes your lucky to break even.
Thanks for the help....we (my wife and I) invested about $17,000 on the four females we have, and two males. We show them at IABCA, NAK, UKC, and ARBA. As far as actually making money--who'se kidding whom? There are no profits if you do this right--and I really appreciate your input. I will use your input to help settle this dispute with a friend of mine. (mind you: it's a friendly dispute) Thank you.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,219,159 times
Good luck...some people can be hard to get to. And watch out for the "You're a breeder" voulchers (sp). They seem to hover and go peta on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs