Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times

Advertisements

I'm not certain if their are breeders on here, but if so I have a question. Do you register your kennel? I know some people do and some people don't. Some are required to and others don't meet the requirements.

We got a letter in the mail about it. We are going to call tomorrow to find out more info. It says we need to apply for a kennel permit which doesn't make sense. They have certain criteria you have to meet for being a kennel. So don't know how they can assume we do. I know anyone can call and say such and such is breeding dogs and they can look into it and see if a kennel applies. In this case that didn't happen. It happened before so they should still have the record for that I'd think. The criteria wasn't met. One of them was selling 25 or more pups within any 12 month period. My husband told them he only had 18 pups in 3 years! Not all of those were even sold either. So they should have this on record. I know that in some places breeding has nothing to do with a "kennel" where I used to live having more then 3 adult dogs automatically made you a kennel, even if you didn't breed. Here though its different.

Well we will find out more tomorrow. Its not a big deal applying for a permit, if we need to we will. I'm just thinking why would they send that if we aren't going to meet the requirement and don't need to apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
In WV you need a business licence to sell even 1 pup. Even if you had 5 s/n dogs you must have a kennel licence. As for reg with AKC I could not as the name was a life timer. This was 10 years ago.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Not sure what you are saying..Kennel license for like dog license get cheaper buying as a kennel with enough dogs..

A registered kennel name for breeding through AKC.

The requirements are now listed in detail on the Registered Kennel Name application form, and are as follows:

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS CAREFULLY. ALL REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION FOR THE GRANTING OF A REGISTERED KENNEL NAME. APPLICATION INFORMATION WILL BE VERIFIED THROUGH REVIEW OF AKC RECORDS.
Have a documented background of involvement/participation in AKC events. You must complete the Event Participation Worksheet listing dogs by AKC name and registration number.
Be a breeder in good standing with the American Kennel Club with a record of breeding and registering purebred dogs in conformity with AKC registration rules and policies.
Meet one of the following breeding requirements:
Bred at least 5 registered litters in the past 5 years;
Owned stud dogs that have produced at least 40 registered litters in the past 10 years.
A breeder, who has bred at least one AKC registered litter, may be granted a registered kennel name on a five-year provisional basis. The breeding requirements above must be met during the five-year period to be eligible to renew the registered kennel name.
May not have an interest in a pet store or dog dealership.

I use my KR as a kennel name but will not show them in AKC shows as only use for SAR but sell pups with that also. So cannot get kennel registered that way.

Maybe your state requires breeders to register a kennel so stop backyard breeders or puppy mills.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 PM

dream..what breed do you have?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 PM

They don't require just any breeder too, you have to meet the certain requirements. Thats why we are so confused about the letter. Talking to them in the past we didn't meet the requirements for a "licensed or registered kennel" whatever you want to call it. Because we didn't have enough dogs or pups to be considered as one. Like it varies, for example Katie said needing one to sell 1 pup there and here its only if you sell 25 pups or more in a 12 month period. Or where Katie said having 5 s/n dogs you need one, where I used to live was 4 s/n or more dogs you needed one. They had changed that in their ordinance (city) like a year before I moved. So the laws just differ but we don't meet the requirement where we live now.

Most of the time it is not to stop bybs unfortunately, basically they are just setting limits and getting their $$. The county really doesn't care about bybs. Not that its bad because they will do inspections (or at least they are supposed to). But the county itself doesn't care about bybs and they are the ones who come up with the laws on it.

Many puppymills are registered kennels and thats usually the biggest red flag. A lot of them are also USDA licensed I think I read. The ones that sell like 10 different breeds. Have pups all year long!! Have 100 dogs.

My breed isn't AKC so I'm not much worried about that. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:58 AM

Different laws for different areas.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
dream..what breed do you have?

Bloodhounds is what we have..

I buy kennel license as cheaper to register dogs with city this way..They will also allow up to 12 dogs this way also and when do rescue at times get high amounts.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:57 PM

Where we live now is outside city limits so we don't have to register our dogs with the city. We do have to go by the county regulations on kennels.

The dogs were registered once. It was only a $1 a each dog.

If we have to its no big deal, just very confused since they are the ones who said we didn't have to before. Will have to try and call again tomorrow. Earlier around 10am or something to reach them.

I was also just curious for the ones who have done it. I see where Dream benefits for cheaper registration.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Are your Bloodhounds trained tracker?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:43 AM

$1.00 for license must be nice..Here it is 5 for spayed/neutered and 15 intact and only 40 for kennel tags..I have 3 intact 1 neutered and even when foster if here 10 days must be licensed..

My female is trained not certified in man trailing and my stud is training and pup soon will be. My rescue has been so abused he is not good on mantrailing as soon as see's someone wants attention so he used more for me as bad knee's he helps me get off couch and things when stiff, he may be tried in a lineup search type training though.(have scent article from a suspect have lineup and see if he picks correctly)

Hard finding runners and training areas.
I do use a school forest, local parks for high contamination searches, have trained some in school and need more work in there but way schools are now with lockdowns and such is hard. In stores not many let me in even with letter from city police chief stating I am a bloodhound handler/trainer. Walmart is on way in and I know they let SAR and others train in store as long as all vaccinations are up to date.

16 week old pup is starting all her socialization in schools and such now to get used to large groups and noises and the special needs class asked if I would bring my dogs in for the kids. Good way to get used to wheelchairs and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs