Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 AM

6 posts, read 42,643 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gotten a labrador retriever from a good breeder near Houston (within a couple hour drive)? We have decided to get a dog but now want to find a reputable breeder to get it from. We are looking for a chocolate lab if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 02:08 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,713 times
What type of Lab are you looking for? Are you interested in show or field lines? In other words, are you looking for one that has a lot of drive, or one that is more laid back? Field lines are meant to work, and they are also generally the more slender dogs. Show lines are blockier, heavier dogs. All are nice, it just depends on your preference. Either way, you want to make sure that the breeder does all the appropriate health testing. There are many, many Lab breeders out there so it might take some time to weed through them. Hopefully somebody on here with more Lab experience can help, but I wanted to get that "type" question out. Glad you know to look for somebody reputable.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,642 times
Check akc.org. I have a Chocolate female and a Yellow male and they couldn't be more different in terms of temperament.
They needs lots of exercise and they have to be occupied or they can be destructive. They counter surf .... they shed... they are big and goofy...you have to train them which is fun cause they are smart ...

Why a Lab, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 12-11-2008, 02:41 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon R. View Post
...are you looking for one that has a lot of drive, or one that is more laid back?
A word of caution:

When dealing with Labs, laid back is definitely a relative term.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 42,643 times
Thanks for the advice. We would prefer the more laid back type although I do understand that it is still a lab. I like the stockier build instead of lean. We went through some dog books and based on temperment - good with kids, easy to train and medium/large size the lab fit us best. I have read Marley and Me so I do understand that we need to look at the parents We tried to find breeders associated with an akc.org group but most are pretty far away.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizf2000 View Post
Thanks for the advice. We would prefer the more laid back type although I do understand that it is still a lab. I like the stockier build instead of lean. We went through some dog books and based on temperment - good with kids, easy to train and medium/large size the lab fit us best. I have read Marley and Me so I do understand that we need to look at the parents We tried to find breeders associated with an akc.org group but most are pretty far away.
You may want to check out this site: Houston Labrador Retriever Breeders Directory - but don't select a puppy based on the breeder's location. If you are doing that you are going to be much better off going through a lab rescue group.

Absolutely do not purchase a puppy unless you have done a great deal of research on the breeder, have met the breeder, have met the breeder's dogs and seen their facilities.

A good breeder will ask you as many questions as you ask them. You should feel like you are being grilled. Their facilities will be clean and well kept. Their dogs will be happy and friendly.

You defintely want to meet the puppy's parents and grandparents. If you can't meet the grandparents you want to know the circumstances of their deaths and how old they were.

You want to know about hip, eye and elbow certifications.

You want to know about any health problems in the kennel's line.

If you get any weird vibe from a breeder, trust the vibe and not what you are being told.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:25 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,642 times
While Labs are good family dogs remember they are big strong dogs who are curious and playful. One swipe of a paw or one swoosh of a tail will cause a little one to go head over a$$hole. Never would the dog do anything malicious...they're just...dorks

Old 12-11-2008, 04:24 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,713 times
Seems to me like the OP knows what they're in for. Dorks -- that's probably a pretty good description.

And since you want a dog that is "relatively" laid back (which won't happen, BTW, until they're around 4 years old, LOL) and the stockier type, you're definitely looking for show lines. Don't go for anything with field dogs in the pedigree, at least not the parents or grandparents. Just be very up front with the breeders about what you're looking for. Good ones will not try to sell you a puppy that doesn't fit your lifestyle, in fact they'll steer you in another direction, possibly give you referrals. I agree to widen your search. This is a years-long committment, and finding the right dog -- and the right breeder that will stand behind their dogs for life -- might be a little farther away.

Start with AKC.org, and then you probably have a Lab club in Texas. Good starting point. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Keep an eye out for some regional dog shows to check out. It's been almost 22 years since I bought a purebred dog, and it was a pug. And I really lucked out as I found an ad for pug puppies in a newspaper and just went out and brought one home. Fortunately, she never had any health issues and lived to a ripe old age of 16.

Currently I have two lab mixes. And one is about five years old and mellowed out, the second is only two years old and giving me a real physical workout. I can't wait until he's five, it's going to be a long three years! Plus it's unsettling to own a dog that I can't pick up and carry... lol Probably my future dogs will be 45 lbs maximum adult weight. But I'm definitely a lab lover for life now.

And when I complain about Bandit's terrible twos, my boyfriend is quick to tell me that Bandit is a very mellow two year old compared to his family's golden retriever!!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizf2000 View Post
Has anyone gotten a labrador retriever from a good breeder near Houston (within a couple hour drive)? We have decided to get a dog but now want to find a reputable breeder to get it from. We are looking for a chocolate lab if possible.
If I could make the request..... Please also consider adopting a rescue Lab rather than buying a puppy. There are so many great young Labs out there that need good loving homes. Many are pure bred AKC registered dogs that were given to shelters or to rescue for no other reason than the owners "didn't have time for them anymore" The stuff about "only a puppy will bond with its family" is a load of bunk! Please please think about it! We have rescued 2 labs, a chocolate & a black Lab and have never regreted it for even a moment. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs