Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you fling yourself in front of a train?
Hell yes! 12 27.91%
Hell no! 31 72.09%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,711 times

Advertisements

anyway.in a loving family the spouse would rather give up their life for their child, so the first does chose to save the child............

nothing compares to a mothers love.............not even the love towards a pet.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times
I don't think that you or anyone has the right to be so judgmental as to who is willing to sacrifice their life for their child, any child, dog or a loved one. Until you are actually put in that position, it's not even fair to say that you would definitely sacrifice your life for another living being. Being hit by a train is a quick death, but what about running back into a burning house to save someone? Or jumping into a polar bear's pen at a zoo to save your child? And sure a mother's love is strong, but in these last two situations, it's much more likely that the mother would be screaming and crying frantically for a fireman or someone else to save their child instead of them actually jumping in to endanger herself for her child.

I'm just being very honest with my feelings on this subject. And if any of you supersduper moms should ever lose a child and you hesitated to risk your life in that situation, I would have enough compassion to wish that you didn't suffer from the guilt afterwards.

And in regards to the worth of a child over an adult, in the big picture, the earth is billions of years old and our lives are but a teeny speck in our planet's timeline. So just because I have only another 30 years left to live over their 70, doesn't mean that my 30 years isn't less valuable or precious than theirs. If anything, my best years in life started in my 30's and every year keeps getting better for me.

But stop being so judgmental about others. You only have the right to decide how worthy your own life is. You don't have the right to decide what defines a good mother or parent. And again, until you are actually put into that life or death decision, all your claims of motherly love are just idle talk.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,711 times
[quote=miu;8294835]I don't think that you or anyone has the right to be so judgmental as to who is willing to sacrifice their life for their child, any child, dog or a loved one. Until you are actually put in that position, it's not even fair to say that you would definitely sacrifice your life for another living being. Being hit by a train is a quick death, but what about running back into a burning house to save someone? Or jumping into a polar bear's pen at a zoo to save your child? And sure a mother's love is strong, but in these last two situations, it's much more likely that the mother would be screaming and crying frantically for a fireman or someone else to save their child instead of them actually jumping in to endanger herself for her child.

I'm just being very honest with my feelings on this subject. And if any of you supersduper moms should ever lose a child and you hesitated to risk your life in that situation, I would have enough compassion to wish that you didn't suffer from the guilt afterwards.

And in regards to the worth of a child over an adult, in the big picture, the earth is billions of years old and our lives are but a teeny speck in our planet's timeline. So just because I have only another 30 years left to live over their 70, doesn't mean that my 30 years isn't less valuable or precious than theirs. If anything, my best years in life started in my 30's and every year keeps getting better for me.

But stop being so judgmental about others. You only have the right to decide how worthy your own life is. You don't have the right to decide what defines a good mother or parent. And again, until you are actually put into that life or death decision, all your claims of motherly love are just idle talk.[/quote

Old 04-11-2009, 11:56 PM

43 posts, read 215,801 times
Sorry, but this has to be one of the dumbest threads I've every seen. What a waste of 7 pages and the time to create them.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:27 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddielv View Post
Sorry, but this has to be one of the dumbest threads I've every seen. What a waste of 7 pages and the time to create them.
Why, you don't like trains?

Or pets?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:39 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't think that you or anyone has the right to be so judgmental as to who is willing to sacrifice their life for their child, any child, dog or a loved one. Until you are actually put in that position, it's not even fair to say that you would definitely sacrifice your life for another living being. Being hit by a train is a quick death, but what about running back into a burning house to save someone? Or jumping into a polar bear's pen at a zoo to save your child? And sure a mother's love is strong, but in these last two situations, it's much more likely that the mother would be screaming and crying frantically for a fireman or someone else to save their child instead of them actually jumping in to endanger herself for her child.

But stop being so judgmental about others. You only have the right to decide how worthy your own life is. You don't have the right to decide what defines a good mother or parent. And again, until you are actually put into that life or death decision, all your claims of motherly love are just idle talk.
I did it for a number of years as part of my job description. I can clearly tell you what I would do in that spot. Saving people and sometimes having to make a choice that will either allow only one to live and the other to die is not something that anyone should take likely.

But I can tell you without a second thought that if it was my child or spouse that could be saved, the kid wins and I would bet my last dollar that my spouse would do the same thing and save the kid, I wouldn't want it any other way.

You may be "Honest" with your opinions, but I would bet that you are very young and have not had a very strong family tie in your life. As you get older, you will realise that there is more in life than yourself.

You clearly don't have a child, because that is a life changing option that you will naturally fall into once you hold your own child in your arms.

I would save a pet if there was a very good chance that I wasn't going to get killed or wounded, but no, the jumping in front of the train option is out.

Besides, if I couldn't get the dog to come when I called, he wasn't that great of a pet anyway, because it the past, they would come at the first whistle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs