Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you fling yourself in front of a train?
Hell yes! 12 27.91%
Hell no! 31 72.09%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:03 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,688 times

Advertisements

My dad's Chessy came to live with us after Dad died. God what a bossy b***h! I miss her something terrible to this day and she's been gone 8+ years. If she snuck out of the house, you could always find her parked in the back of the truck, waiting. And, boss that she was, she wouldn't get out of that truck, no how, no way, until it moved. I found a way around her though - get in the truck, back it up 3 feet, pull forward 3 feet - there, she went for a ride and could now get out of the truck.
Yes, I would have jumped in front of the train for her too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
I always said I would step in front of any danger for our "little fellows," and I am sure I would do it for my beloved dog.......I just know it.
Although my dog wouldn't be by train tracks and he would be on a tight leash if I were the slightest bit close to one.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
I was sitting by the pond today and there was mommy duck with her three baby ducks They were sooo cute, I guess I could hardly live with myself if I did not rescue such lovely creatures.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
No way.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I wouldn't fling myself in front of a train to save a dog, cat or child. I can save more dogs by staying alive, plus I currently have other pets I still need to provide for. I don't have children, but if I did, again, I feel more valuable alive than any child, let along someone else's child. Let their parents fling themselves in front of a train, it's their kid, it's their choice to die for him/her not me.

Otherwise, I can't imagine what animal would just stand or sit on the tracks as a train approached. If the animal is that stupid... it's certainly not worth sacrificing my life over it. If the animal is sick or dying and lying on the tracks between the rails, it might survive the train passing over it. And it would seem stupid for me to try to save a sick animal by killing myself in the process...

Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
You dont have a child but if you did you still wouldn't ?
I would for my child.
I know of a few kids I would like to push under a train though!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You dont have a child but if you did you still wouldn't ?
I would for my child.
I know of a few kids I would like to push under a train though!
Nope. I would not ever sacrifice my life for the sake of my own child if I had one. I don't buy into the concept that a baby or child is more important than any adult life. Maybe it's my Asian background where the elders in the family are the most valuable members. It's about preserving the wisdom and knowledge that only comes with years of living.

Otherwise, my boyfriend grew up with his dad saying that adults came first and it wasn't a big deal to make another kid just like him. And his dad isn't Asian.

Of course I would be very sad to see anyone or any dog or animal getting hit by a train, but I come first.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 AM

261 posts, read 944,310 times
Default Still trying to educate others about.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sure, there probably are nice pit bulls, but my default opinion of them is very negative, they are banned from many countries for a reason. Breeders should simply stop breeding those dogs, let them disappear from the face of the earth.
With humans I don't have that problem, so I guess I would save any human, just to be on the safe side as far as my own conscience is concerned. It would become more difficult if I knew that the person in danger were let's say a child killer or abuser. Why would the world benefit from the survival of the more evil one of two people?

Replace the words "pit bull" with, abusive people, child molesters, racists, murderers, sex traffickers, drug dealers, religious zelots.

I again would still save a dog from the tracks, especially mine, a Staffordshire Terrier, I would have to think twice about a person. I promise you more PEOPLE kill, hurt, mame, and do damage to more PEOPLE than the whole species of dogs labeled "pit bulls" combined. Dogs do not use other dogs to make money, move drugs, or abuse sexually. Really, think about it.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
For the child yes, even if it was not my own.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
Replace the words "pit bull" with, abusive people, child molesters, racists, murderers, sex traffickers, drug dealers, religious zelots.

I again would still save a dog from the tracks, especially mine, a Staffordshire Terrier, I would have to think twice about a person. I promise you more PEOPLE kill, hurt, mame, and do damage to more PEOPLE than the whole species of dogs labeled "pit bulls" combined. Dogs do not use other dogs to make money, move drugs, or abuse sexually. Really, think about it.
I know what you are saying, I FEEL this way, too, sometimes. But I don't think one can simply compare dogs or any other animal species on the one hand and people on the other. Many countries for instance have laws according to which you are guilty of non-assistance of a person in danger when someone is harmed or even dies because you refused to help him or her, although you could have. I don't think those laws apply when the victim is an animal.
But those theoretical scenarios are always difficult and usually unrealistic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs