Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,226,705 times

Advertisements

I am so upset.. I went by our local animal shelter yesterday and there are 4 older dogs who are very sick, bloody diarrhea and vomiting. One is a beautiful white boxer looking dog. They have only been there a few days.

The AC mgr said it was parvo but these are not puppies or even young dogs. She said she cleans the runs with bleach and even the walkway through the shelter.

I live in a small town and they allocate less than 5K a year for feeding the dogs and cats so there is no money for vet care. I would take one to the vet but I just got a $247.00 vet bill for my HG yorkie and I can not afford to spend anymore at the vet right now.

Could it be something besides Parvo? Is there anything I can suggest that might save these dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,152,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I am so upset.. I went by our local animal shelter yesterday and there are 4 older dogs who are very sick, bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

Could it be something besides Parvo? Is there anything I can suggest that might save these dogs?
- It's a very difficult and very upsetting situation.

It could be all manner of illnesses really, but there may be a reason the manager suspects parvo that he/she didn't communicate to you?

Do you know any of your local vets well enough to call and discuss with him/her? Vets, for all they are and all they are not, are not mind readers and may truly be unaware of the current situation. They may offer (or you can be bold and suggest!) to help. The worst they can do is say no.

Failing veterinary intervention, I would not have thought there was much you can do personally except perhaps purchase & donate rehydrating fluids/electrolyte powders and/or anything else that might make the dogs more comfortable in the meantime.

There are longer-term actions you could think about, but they wouldn't help the current situation, no.

Should you not wish to state in public, could you DM me whereabouts in the country this is. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Could I get this powder at WalMart? The big problem is battling the city officials in this small town. No money in the budget for the animals and now we have a mayor who doesn't believe in trying to save them.
There is a vet who has reduced his fees for the shelter when a local group took over the shelter for a few months. The group made a lot of enemies with in the city and the PD so now it is back the way it was before they were involved.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,958,858 times
I would agree that you might want to call your vet or another vet you know. Perhaps he/she'd be willing to donate services.

I'm on the board of a local shelter and we've got a vet on the board and several who work with the shelter at reduced cost.

It sounds like those dogs need, at the least, some fluid replacement. So sorry this is happening. Hope things turn around for those poor guys.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,152,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
There is a vet who has reduced his fees for the shelter when a local group took over the shelter for a few months. The group made a lot of enemies with in the city and the PD so now it is back the way it was before they were involved.
- That's a very common refrain I'm afraid. These things become polarized to the nth degree and much harder to sort out in an area of limited population. Poor dogs wind up paying the price ... *sigh*

The Layman's Essentials of Fluid and Electrolyte Treatment in Parvovirus

Dog Dehydration

Pedialyte should be available at WalMart.

Let us know how you get on please.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,219,668 times
You can order Sub Q bags of Normosol R or Lactated Ringers Solution from a Vet supply magazine without a perscription for about $5 a bag.
No Walmart will not carry any of these and an animal feed store probably wouldn't either but might have something.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,670,332 times
I knew of a shelter like that. They did nothing for the dogs. Just threw them in the cages until day 7, euthenization day. I once saw a little Jack Russel Terrier that some idiot cut the tail half off with scissors and the idiot pound let the dog scream and suffer in the kennel. I was soooooo upset, they brought someone down right away to put it down. No one cared about that little dog. You cannot imagine the half that goes on in kill shelters, I saw it all!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:52 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,461,566 times
Parvo usually gets younger dogs. Adult dogs have much milder forms of the disease.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 AM

The only good thing I can say about the shelter is they do not automatically put all dogs down after 10 days as long as the dog doesn't try to bite or attack the AC ppl.

I will go to WalMart and see if I can get some pedialtye for them.

Maybe the vet will give me something for them tomorrow. I will pay for the parvo test just so we know that is what it is.

Blondie I do understand.. I use to go by the shelter nearly every day to help but after a wonderful dog who had been at the shelter for months was put down, I stopped. I couldn't take her and I tried to find someone to no avail. I already have 8 dogs and 4 cats and I live on SS and a small pension.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:09 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,219,668 times
Keeper, don't feel bad, you can't save them all. At least you're doing your part and I'm sure all of your babies are well loved and cared for.
Blondie, that about made me cry thinking of that poor dog suffering like that. What a shame...I hope there's a special place in hell for people who are cruel to animals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs