Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times

Advertisements

It has been warm here so it could be bait depending on where they were picked up there are ppl who have livestock that are in the city limits plus there are coyotes around too. You never know..

Well I figure if we have a vet health acct we could at least do some test when a dog is sick. I really dread this spring/summer since we were over run last year with puppies and so many had Parvo even though they were vaccinated at the shelter when the other group ran it. They bleached everything but so many puppies came in sick it didn't help a lot. Some were saved by taking them to the vet but it is still heartbreaking to see them so sick.

I am making flyers for the adoption this weekend just hope the weather isn't too bad as we are expecting severe weather Friday night into Sat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 05:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Well I went to the shelter today and talked to the mgr and the AC officer. I was told the dog was better but they say he has mange and appears to be pretty old.

I didn't stay as the vet was coming to put down some dogs who had been there 3 months.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I did talk to them about setting up something for med care since if they do it the city will want the money and the dogs won't ever see it.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,033 times
Im doing a project and I need to know where the highest demand for a vet is?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I am so upset.. I went by our local animal shelter yesterday and there are 4 older dogs who are very sick, bloody diarrhea and vomiting. One is a beautiful white boxer looking dog. They have only been there a few days.

The AC mgr said it was parvo but these are not puppies or even young dogs. She said she cleans the runs with bleach and even the walkway through the shelter.

I live in a small town and they allocate less than 5K a year for feeding the dogs and cats so there is no money for vet care. I would take one to the vet but I just got a $247.00 vet bill for my HG yorkie and I can not afford to spend anymore at the vet right now.

Could it be something besides Parvo? Is there anything I can suggest that might save these dogs?
I would find out who the state vet is and give them a call! And or call a shelter in another county and ask them what to do.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
as a dog owner myself that's terrible i hope someone adopts those poor dogs and can give them a good home

Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,711 times
You can't save everyone, but you can make a difference if you are up to the challenge. Get together with friends and do a fund raiser, Go to the local pet dept store and see if they will help you promote your fundraiser or hold it on their property. Be creative, a dog wash, a car wash or both, a dog beauty show with a prize put up by the sponsor. Talk to local vets and see if they will do an hour or two of pro bono work for the shelter and in return advertise them in your fundraiser flyer. Talk to the local newspaper and get them to not only cover your story but donate some advertising space. Newspapers love human interest stories. Visit the local no kill shelters and see if they can take some of the animals and place them in temporary foster homes. If nothing else, the exposure of this sad story may shame the shelter into taking better care of the animals they are responsible for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs