Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:13 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times

Advertisements

I know Keeper, me too! It broke my heart going to the shelter. So many in desperate need of homes. So unfair those poor dogs never get a shot at the touch of a loving hand and heart!
I had to stop too! I remember sometimes spending my last five bucks that day to get the shelter dogs a couple of box of biscuits so they could all have some treats!
I see enough here on the street around my area. Horrible. My biggest issue against this state is how so many people treat their pets here....disgusting! It is all over the state.
In the short time I have been here I had to turn so many in. I already have 6 myself. I just took in my last one last summer. So I know exactly how you feel too! So disheartening and overbearing.
But I know if I can ever help an animal in need as you do, I will always try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Keeper, that's horrible and I am crying now. Maybe if you offered to bring the boxer-look alike tand the other one to your vet, he would not charge you? If you spread something washable in your vehicle and he didn't have to leave the office, it might work. Then you could scrub out your vehicle real good. Or maybe just one of the dogs would be enough for him to diagnose? So good of you to try.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:10 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
Keeper, one thing you could ask your vet about... would she/he be willing to run some tests on stool samples for no/low cost?

I was just thinking along practical lines - it can be collected and transported safely (i.e. with no risk of cross infection) and a quick in-house check might be able to, at least, rule out certain causes.

Just a thought I had.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Thank you all. The mgr thinks it is parvo because that is all she has ever seen with puppies who had the same symptons..

I will go by in the AM and take a sample to the vet, hopefully the dogs will still be OK. It just burns me up to know even if I complain it will do no good, in fact they would probably ban me from the shelter. At least now I can help with the adoptions and at least save some dogs and cats.

I am going to contact the group that use to run the shelter and see if they have any funds available for vet care. I doubt they do since they screwed up so badly when they ran the shelter that everyone quit the group but it can't hurt to ask.

The only good thing is they do keep dogs separated when they first come in to the shelter but even that is no guarantee

Last edited by Keeper; 03-22-2009 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: added

Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
This is so sad...I know how you feel, as I have started volunteering at both the Humane Society and the Animal Emergency Center...money is tight and abandoned, sick animals are arriving in spades. The vet at the HS here is paid very little to care for the animals and needs lots of help he doesnt have. I will start assisting him tomorrow, the coordinator told me that is the area they need the most help in as most of the volunteers dont have the stomach for it and just want to walk & play with the cats & dogs. I will pray for these dogs, and thank you Keeper for being one of the kind-hearted souls who takes action and makes a difference!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
It just burns me up to know even if I complain it will do no good, in fact they would probably ban me from the shelter. At least now I can help with the adoptions and at least save some dogs and cats.
You have my admiration. It's got to be one of the hardest things to do - to sit there, smile and be polite because you know it's that.... or else it's nothing. It takes a lot of self-control.

Poor mites. Let us know what transpires.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:46 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
^I second that sentiment, FiveHorses...it must be VERY difficult to maintain composure in cases like this. Hats off to Keeper for being smart enough to see the bigger picture and recognize the importance of remaining on favorable terms with those who have the power to turn away much needed efforts.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Update..

I went by the shelter twice today and the mgr wasn't there, but I did just finally get her on the phone. The dog is doing better and is eating now. She had already cleaned the runs today. I will go by tomorrow and see how he is doing and if a stool sample to the vet is in order. I got the pedalite liquid so at least we will have it on hand.

I did find out that 2 other smaller dogs that came in with him died right away. I am wondering if someone poisoned them.

I am also going to talk to her to see if we can get a vet donation acct setup so we will be prepared next time.
I would also like to vaccinate the puppies to protect them.

Thank you all for your help..

Old 03-23-2009, 03:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,679 times
Some wonderful plans you have there Keeper. Glad there are people like you out there working with shelters to keep things healthy (trying anyways)

Old 03-23-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post

I did find out that 2 other smaller dogs that came in with him died right away. I am wondering if someone poisoned them.
Glad to hear the one's doing better. Poison ... not a nice thought, but then again, they could have gotten into something they shouldn't have. If it's as warm there as it is here, there's a lot of bait going out these days. Hope he continues to improve.

I always like the vet donation account idea... it lets people know where their donations are going and what the money will be used for. Hopefully, it'll make them part with a few extra pennies too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs