Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times

Advertisements

Rocky my teacup yorkie has had this twice since December. I just got back from the vet and she said his blood count was 74 when it should be 43. He is at the vet getting fluids. He had this back in Jan.

Rocky is a rescue from a puppy mill, I got him in Dec 08. He is still very skittish but gets along well with my other yorkie.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on ways to keep this in check since this can be very serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
I have a few links buried away somewhere, about this. I'll dig them out and post them later his evening.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
After 3 rounds of this, about 6-7 weeks apart, my vet said my GSP had some chronic condiiton. The timing was right since he got it again at a certain time after the antibiotics wore off. Anyway, for about 2 yrs, he got a pill per day and had no more episodes. Then I got lazy and careless and gave it to him on an irregular basis and now he doesn't get it at all. No problems for at least 8 mo. Maybe your guy just has an intractable case? Good luck.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:16 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
I have a few links buried away somewhere, about this. I'll dig them out and post them later his evening.
Here's one link I had saved...
NATURAL PET ANIMAL HOSPITAL (http://www.drkarenbecker.com/nav_sets_04/set03.htm - broken link)

and a thread on another dog board I belong to
Haemorrhagic Gastroenteritis - WOOF! A BOSTON TERRIER BOARD

Sorry I haven't been of more help to you, but from what I read, it will be a matter of strictly controlling your pups diet, along with the proper prescribed meds. I also read that small dogs are more prone to this condition. The dog board referenced above is for Boston Terriers (I have two of them) and although not as small as Yorkies, are still affected by HGE. They are very treat motivated and IMHO, giving too many unhealthy treats can exacerbate HGE.

It can be a devastating condition - wishing the best for you and your Yorkie. Google HGE - there's lots of interesting reading about HGE.

I hope your little Yorkie recovers and you and your vet are able to control any future issues with this.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Thank you both.. the treat thing may be at least part of the problem. I normally don't give him treats very often since he has so few teeth but the other day I did.

I don't know how old he really is but somewhere between 3-5 yo or if he ever had this before. The female rescued with him had tumors and just this week she had some more problems with blister like tumors.

I just called the vet and she said he was passing a lot of blood so they are dealing with that now. Poor baby.. he has had such a rough life and now this.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:46 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Thank you both.. the treat thing may be at least part of the problem. I normally don't give him treats very often since he has so few teeth but the other day I did.

I don't know how old he really is but somewhere between 3-5 yo or if he ever had this before. The female rescued with him had tumors and just this week she had some more problems with blister like tumors.

I just called the vet and she said he was passing a lot of blood so they are dealing with that now. Poor baby.. he has had such a rough life and now this.

I have no info to offer...but passing along gentle hugs to him(and you too).

Old 03-19-2009, 02:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Poor Rocky. I hop he gets better soon. My thoughts are with the both of you.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times
I wish you luck.I dont want to scare you but my 6 month old pitbull puppy just passed away from this.I know there is a very high success rate for dogs with it.Its basically a matter of getting the animal fluids and antibiotics.And there are no real warning signs.Just vomiting one day then the next projectile diarrhea.Good luck and i hope your baby gets better.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,242 times
I have an almost 3 year old pitbull-catahoula mix that weighs 60 lbs. The vet thinks she has HGE because she threw up everything in her stomach, couldn't control her bowel movements which became bloody 1 hour later, and passed out. We couldn't wake her up for thirty minutes, she woke up on the way to the vet. We got her there within the hour of the vomiting starting. Can anybody help with more info? Should I change her food? She also has a heart murmor but she is perfectly healthy.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
She's obviously NOT 'perfectly healthy.' Spend the money and TAKE HER TO A VET! NOW! Before they close for the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs