Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:41 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Has anyone tried feeding rabbit to their dog?

I need to put my dog on a new low-fat protein source, so I'm going to try rabbit. It's all white meat. I'm looking for somewhere to order it from.

I'm in the northeast. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Woofers
Woof, I don't know of any suppliers on your side of the country (I'm in the L.A. area), but I can find rabbit at many of the Asian supermarkets. You might want to check out any kind of ethnic market, for that matter.

Steelstress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:03 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,455,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Woof, I don't know of any suppliers on your side of the country (I'm in the L.A. area), but I can find rabbit at many of the Asian supermarkets. You might want to check out any kind of ethnic market, for that matter.

Steelstress
I'll look around. I know there's some places in Vermont that will mail order, but it's expensive!

I'm not keen on eating rabbit, but I need it for my dog.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:58 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,912,334 times
Woofers, have you considered bison? Most dogs that don't do well on beef tolerate bison very well. It doesn't seem to trigger the same allergic responses. Bison may be more readily available than rabbit.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Woofers, have you considered bison? Most dogs that don't do well on beef tolerate bison very well. It doesn't seem to trigger the same allergic responses. Bison may be more readily available than rabbit.
That's a thought. My dog has some form of IBD and I'm trying to find an alternative protein source that won't upset her stomach.

In fact, now that I think of it, Ostrich might work, too. I think I'll make another trip to Whole Foods this afternoon. I want to get her some Slippery Elm as well.

Gosh, my dog is eating all this good food, while I'm cooking up another box of mac & cheese for myself.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:33 PM

I've also read that raw diets are good for dogs with colitis and irritable bowel problems. I may pull out my grinder and put my dog on raw rabbit.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
Gosh, my dog is eating all this good food, while I'm cooking up another box of mac & cheese for myself.
I see you have your priorities straight!

btw - What do you use slippery elm for?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:37 AM

138 posts, read 618,976 times
My pugs are gulpers too and do not chew their food. I was so worried about choking when I first started feeding raw so I bought a meat grinder and I grind their chicken bones for them. So, for those worried about choking, look in to grinders. I bought mine off of Ebay brand new for $50. They usually start out around $100 and go up. Depends on what your looking for.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 PM

I'm reading that this may be a good supplement to go with homemade diets. Balance IT is designed specifically to go with homemade diets:

https://secure.balanceit.com/_clients2/index.php?dl=1

Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I see you have your priorities straight!

btw - What do you use slippery elm for?
I've been giving to my dog as a supplement to sooth her colon. I don't know if you saw my Irritable Bowel Disease thread or not. I'm pretty upset tonight because the vet pushed this kibble on me today and i fed it to my dog and it was a disaster. She has been puking and in pain all night.

I've found a nutritionalist for dogs, and I'll call her tomorrow. I hope she can help us. I'm also going to try and find a better vet in the area, one that specialized in IBD. My current vet is wasting my time and setting us back. She should have referred us to someone else long ago. I should have gotten on top of this better long ago. I'm beating myself up.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
I've been giving to my dog as a supplement to sooth her colon. I don't know if you saw my Irritable Bowel Disease thread or not. I'm pretty upset tonight because the vet pushed this kibble on me today and i fed it to my dog and it was a disaster. She has been puking and in pain all night.

I've found a nutritionalist for dogs, and I'll call her tomorrow. I hope she can help us. I'm also going to try and find a better vet in the area, one that specialized in IBD. My current vet is wasting my time and setting us back. She should have referred us to someone else long ago. I should have gotten on top of this better long ago. I'm beating myself up.
So sorry to hear about your dog's current difficulty. I recall that you mentioned IBD earlier. Hope you can find some relief for her. Let us know. Also, go easy on yourself. You are clearly trying to take very good care of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs