Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times

Advertisements

This is great info. When I get a dog (soon I hope) I'll definitely go raw. It makes so much sense for animals and people. I'm just starting to go raw myself for some chronic health problems so we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
That's an amazing story and you're an amazing person. Thanks for the info. My friend had a Sheltie. I just fell in love with him (the dog too!). They're such intelligent, social, friendly dogs. One of these days I'll have to get one.
Shelties are my favorite breed. Scarlett is my second sheltie. My first one died just over 5 years ago. They are wonderful dogs, I absolutely love them!

To get back on topic, I have a co-worker who shares a house with his brother. His brother has a shih tzu with allergies, and I'm thinking of offering to take him and try the raw diet on him. Only problem is, the brother doesn't want to change the dog's diet because it sounds like too much trouble. He's currently giving him kibble... a crappy kibble. But hey, it's easier.

I'm going to offer one more time to get this dog on raw to see if it helps the poor dog's itching, skin, etc.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:25 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Shelties are my favorite breed. Scarlett is my second sheltie. My first one died just over 5 years ago. They are wonderful dogs, I absolutely love them!

To get back on topic, I have a co-worker who shares a house with his brother. His brother has a shih tzu with allergies, and I'm thinking of offering to take him and try the raw diet on him. Only problem is, the brother doesn't want to change the dog's diet because it sounds like too much trouble. He's currently giving him kibble... a crappy kibble. But hey, it's easier.

I'm going to offer one more time to get this dog on raw to see if it helps the poor dog's itching, skin, etc.
good for you! Keep trying. Sometimes education is all that's needed. I can't imagine the poor animal being uncomfortable and no one doing anything about it. These animals depend on us. Then can't do it for themselves. Glad to see you're so persistent!

p.s. we have two shelties - gotta love the breed.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:39 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
I have been considering going raw for my pack. I am concerned though about my wiem since she tends to swallow things whole. I also have a foster dog that gets very protective of his food. I have to feed him separately.

Where can I get more info? What kind of meat and veggies?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:08 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Keeper,

I got a grinder. I would grind up a whole chicken weekly and add raw sweet potato, bit of spinach, flax seed, and then add a bit of oil. Put it in containers in the freezer to take out as needed.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have been considering going raw for my pack. I am concerned though about my wiem since she tends to swallow things whole. I also have a foster dog that gets very protective of his food. I have to feed him separately.

Where can I get more info? What kind of meat and veggies?
Keeper, my dachsund tries to swallow things whole, too. For example, what I do is give her a portion too large to swallow. She has to work on it, tear it, chew it so she can swallow it. Exercises her jaw and helps to clean her teeth (the bone). Basically, what I do is chop up a whole chicken, and give her a piece. That's it. Now for your weim, you can probably give her a full 1/4 or 1/2 of a chicken, depending on your dog's adult ideal weight.

I don't grind anything, except to mix up liver with other meat because she'll pick out the liver, and liver is non-negotiable. No veggies. Just meat, organs, bone, and fish body oil for the Omega-3. All the dogs get chicken, pork, turkey, beef, and a little bit of fish. Goat, cornish game hens, duck, etc are fine to feed, too.

If you're familiar with Yahoo groups, join the Raw Feeding group. TONS of info, and people sharing their experiences.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:13 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
All the dogs get chicken, pork, turkey, beef, and a little bit of fish.

Interesting list. I was told years ago that dogs can't digest pork. True or false? Anyone know?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Interesting list. I was told years ago that dogs can't digest pork. True or false? Anyone know?
Well, I give them are pork butt/shoulder roasts and spare ribs. They're not having a problem with it. Just have to watch the fat content, because it'll make their poop runny.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 PM

260 posts, read 657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I, too, appreciate the encouragement from everyone. I've started looking into it, and discussed raw with my vet, who said the only raw diet he feels is safe is BARF. He said if we wanted to go raw, to stick to that. He's very concerned about the bacteria found in most store bought meats as he has seen a lot of problems due to that.
I guess feeding raw food to dogs is family tradition, lol. My mother fed our dogs raw food and I do now, too. Never had any problems, quite the contrary. The vet has told me my dogs are the healthiest dogs that come into the office.

I looked into feeding BARF, but found it cost prohibitive (it would cost 3 X as much to feed my three dogs per month than what I pay to feed my two horses!).

Maybe if you only have one small dog would it be feesable.

I just feed them the same food that you buy for yourself. Everyone here has given good food preperation perameters.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:52 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
Has anyone tried feeding rabbit to their dog?

I need to put my dog on a new low-fat protein source, so I'm going to try rabbit. It's all white meat. I'm looking for somewhere to order it from.

I'm in the northeast. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Woofers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs