Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:35 PM

288 posts, read 918,400 times

Advertisements

I have two Maltese and I empty their anal sacs whenever they get full. There is no way I'm paying someone to do something I can do easily myself, without the hassle of making an appointment and driving all the way out there in addition to a ridiculous vet visit fee.

That said, I have a few warnings for those who want to do this on their own.

Do it where it's easy to clean up. I usually put my dogs in the bathtub because it's a lot easy to hose down the bathtub walls than wipe down the kitchen cabinets with all their little nooks, crannies, and cracks, and a LOT easier than trying to get it out of the carpet. No matter how careful you are, that stuff CAN go where you don't want it to. Mighty is the power of the squirt....

Don't look too closely while doing it to make sure you are doing it right. Guarantee that will be the time the anal sac contents empty by squirting UP and it's beyond disgusting trying to get it off your face and out of your hair. Not to mention difficult to do so without breathing.

Breathe through your mouth. Actually, breathe as little as possible.

Trim your dog's butt hair...makes clean up easier on both of you.

Don't let your dog turn to sniff what you are doing while you are doing it...or even right afterwards if he is the kind to clean himself...unless you have the stomach for watching him do that.

Have soap on hand and the water already running so that if it gets on your hand, you aren't putting it on the faucet handle when you turn on the water.

Finally, have someone who knows what they are doing show you how to do it, on YOUR dog, at least once before you try it on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
dragging butt = glands need to be emptied or are irritated or infected.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:01 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
could it be her anal glands are full?
My Maltese had a similar encounter, first thought her behind itched then contacted my vet and found out her anal glands were full....cleaned out and problem resolved., do in a safe place like outside or in the ole tub...easier to clean the mess up afterwards.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs