Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times

Advertisements

my dog has tasted beer! He loved it.
we dont serve it to him daily though!
He knocked over my beer bottle in the vineyard and licked it up before I noticed.
doubt they will give the dog beer on a regular basis ....he won't share his beers alot, people like their beers~.
=)

I had a cat named Natty! Guess how he got his name? We were in college and natural light is cheap! He knocked a bottle over ad drank some up so Natty was his name and beer drinking was his game(he wished!). Actually maybe he needed a beer daily ...meanest cat I ever met
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 AM

78,422 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I just got home from dinner (UK time) and dropped off a friend at her swanky apt that has a swanky trendy restaurant below the apartments. Two guys standing talking outside with the cutest King Charles who couldn't have been older than a year, I'm sure he was less. We had to walk past them to get to her entrance and I couldn't walk by and not say anything, so I told him not to and played a little with the doggie before I went in. I just hope he doesn't make a habit of it. I also hope he gives the poor doggie lots of water when he gets home if he doesn't have the sense to ask for water at the bar.
Please point me to a link showing how beer is just evily toxic to dogs. Yes, I wouldn't want to be giving a case of beer to one etc. but my golden retriever LOVED beer and would occasionally get about 6oz or so on rare occasions. (The dog weighed >100lbs and never showed the slightest adverse signs from it)

I'm hearing a lot of condemnation but this is one I had not heard of before.

Links please.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:49 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Not sure if your post is a joke, posted out of ignorance or just to stoke the fire. It's common sense you don't give something like alcohol to dogs. It's bad enough for humans.

Since you insist...

Avoid Giving Your Dog Toxic Foods

Alcohol is a poison that happens to produce enjoyable side effects in humans, in moderation.
Short-term overindulgence can kill by poisoning you, and long-term overindulgence can kill by destroying the liver and interfering with important body functions.

Your dog is much smaller than you, and so is much more susceptible to the poisonous effects of alcohol, including death.
Some of the signs that your dog has been drinking alcohol include its odor on his breath, slow respiratory rate, increased urination, staggering or a wobbly gait, excitement, depression, disorientation, behavioral changes, hypothermia, seizures and cardiac arrest.

To protect your dog, keep all alcohol containers (liquor and wine bottles, beer cans and bottles, glasses and tumblers) out of his reach.
Train your dog not to approach any of these containers, especially if they are on a low table. Be particularly aware of plastic liquor bottles, which he could easily chew through.
There's enough alcohol in a "mickey" to kill a small dog.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Not sure if your post is a joke, posted out of ignorance or just to stoke the fire. It's common sense you don't give something like alcohol to dogs. It's bad enough for humans.

Since you insist...

Avoid Giving Your Dog Toxic Foods

Alcohol is a poison that happens to produce enjoyable side effects in humans, in moderation.
Short-term overindulgence can kill by poisoning you, and long-term overindulgence can kill by destroying the liver and interfering with important body functions.

Your dog is much smaller than you, and so is much more susceptible to the poisonous effects of alcohol, including death.
Some of the signs that your dog has been drinking alcohol include its odor on his breath, slow respiratory rate, increased urination, staggering or a wobbly gait, excitement, depression, disorientation, behavioral changes, hypothermia, seizures and cardiac arrest.

To protect your dog, keep all alcohol containers (liquor and wine bottles, beer cans and bottles, glasses and tumblers) out of his reach.
Train your dog not to approach any of these containers, especially if they are on a low table. Be particularly aware of plastic liquor bottles, which he could easily chew through.
There's enough alcohol in a "mickey" to kill a small dog.
Yep, kinda what I figured.

Basically, the link says that dogs suffer the same effects as humans per body mass and that alcohol is not harder on the dogs system like say chocolate.

So, basically...giving 1/2 serving of alcohol to a VERY large dog is like an adult woman having oh....1/2 glass of wine. DEAR GOD DIAL 911!

The warning in the thread you linked was sensible in that you don't want your 20lb dog lapping up 12oz. of spilled schnapps etc. and dying of alchohol poisioning as that would be like an adult drinking a gallon of the stuff.

I don't appreciate the cruel tone of your post. You do realize that you can die by drinking too much water right? That is about as intellectually honest as your interpretation of the effects of alchohol to body mass.

Since the post compares dogs having the same effect on them as people, I now ask you to provide a source showing where 6oz of beer to a 120lb person once every few months is a health threat. Seriously, you got all hysterical over this, I think you aren't thinking very clearly so here is your chance.

P.S. The dog in question lived to a ripe old age and then succumbed to cancer.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, kinda what I figured.

Basically, the link says that dogs suffer the same effects as humans per body mass and that alcohol is not harder on the dogs system like say chocolate.

So, basically...giving 1/2 serving of alcohol to a VERY large dog is like an adult woman having oh....1/2 glass of wine. DEAR GOD DIAL 911!

The warning in the thread you linked was sensible in that you don't want your 20lb dog lapping up 12oz. of spilled schnapps etc. and dying of alchohol poisioning as that would be like an adult drinking a gallon of the stuff.

I don't appreciate the cruel tone of your post. You do realize that you can die by drinking too much water right? That is about as intellectually honest as your interpretation of the effects of alchohol to body mass.

Since the post compares dogs having the same effect on them as people, I now ask you to provide a source showing where 6oz of beer to a 120lb person once every few months is a health threat. Seriously, you got all hysterical over this, I think you aren't thinking very clearly so here is your chance.

P.S. The dog in question lived to a ripe old age and then succumbed to cancer.
Dude listen it will take more than a comment from an internet baiter and someone of no consequence to get me wound up and "hysterical".
This was my response to your post. What part of it is hysterical?

Quote:

Since you insist...
You obviously just got a wild hair up your arse for some reason and in the mood of an arguement. Sugar is not good for dogs, alcohol turns to sugar. Tell you what, I'll let you do the digging on the interent for more information or better still talk to your vet...I'm kinda picky about who I amuse or entertain on line....

What I do know is I am responsible for the well being of 5 dogs so I give them 'em the best. The best food on the market....none of the crap they sell in the USA (Sorry folks, but I have 5 friends who will only feed their dogs food that they order from the UK...the same stuff I give my dogs). Their lives are short enough and not only do I want them around as long as possible I want them healthy, free of pain and don't need to be blowing my hard earned money on vet fees.

Yeah the dog lived until a ripe old age despite your abuse, just like a relative who drank and smoked every day since he was 15 and died at the ripe old age of 98...sure we all have one of those stories in our family. It's a gamble I'm not gonna take.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-16-2008 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 PM

Of course this is all fun and games to watch eh?

Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Wow my dogs have both had beer and guess what both were fine at their check ups and are still alive. There are some people who get upset over people eating things they consider bad for them. Not everything will kill you or your dog, it isnt like people are holding a beer bong up to the dog, they get a little bit every now and then who cares.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Dude listen it will take more than a comment from an internet baiter and someone of no consequence to get me wound up and "hysterical".
This was my response to your post. What part of it is hysterical?

You obviously just got a wild hair up your arse for some reason and in the mood of an arguement. Sugar is not good for dogs, alcohol turns to sugar. Tell you what, I'll let you do the digging on the interent for more information or better still talk to your vet...I'm kinda picky about who I amuse or entertain on line....

What I do know is I am responsible for the well being of 5 dogs so I give them 'em the best. The best food on the market....none of the crap they sell in the USA (Sorry folks, but I have 5 friends who will only feed their dogs food that they order from the UK...the same stuff I give my dogs). Their lives are short enough and not only do I want them around as long as possible I want them healthy, free of pain and don't need to be blowing my hard earned money on vet fees.

Yeah the dog lived until a ripe old age despite your abuse, just like a relative who drank and smoked every day since he was 15 and died at the ripe old age of 98...sure we all have one of those stories in our family. It's a gamble I'm not gonna take.

Moderator cut: orphaned edit
You are obviously taken to using extreme hyperbole and straw-man arguments.

Giving a 120lb dog 6 oz. of beer perhaps a couple times a year is abuse? The website you sited mentions nothing at all about this being harmful as it equates alchohol useage to humans. So, you have yet to provide ANYTHING refuting this.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-16-2008 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: and your part was rude - knock it off

Old 09-16-2008, 02:16 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
MODERATOR: We will keep this thread a civil discussion or it will be closed.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:

It's a gamble I'm not gonna take.
As an aside, at least I think it's an aside, what brand of food do your friends order?

I have had wonderful luck with one US company (just one, unfortunately so I do agree with you about the crap we are sold). They've been in business over eighty years, family-owned, own their own production facility, etc. A very small company, of course.

Not being willing to gamble with my pet's life and health either, I am always interested in well-produced foods. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs