Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,556 times

Advertisements

This is a dog they have had since puppy hood recently the dog got into a fight with another dog, she’s 6 now. They have four dogs one male and the rest females. One female is very dominant and tries to fight the one of the other dogs in the household. So they keep them separated. (The one dog stays in the room while the rest are out.) The recently the dog upstairs got out and the dominant dog fought her leaving the other dog injured and required several stitches. Then a few nights later the dog attacked another dog, no injuries just a lot of snarling and growling. Now they keep the dog in the crate and only allow her out by herself, while the other dogs are kept upstairs in a room.

They talked about putting the dog down but were reluctant. They don't want to rehome her because they don't trust anyone....can't blame them. I've known them for years and they know my living situation ( still living at home) Now that I a good paying career I'm moving out soon. So they said they would give the dog to me. I would take her only because I do know the dog.

However I currently have a dog that lives with me my 6 year old dane and was planning on adding another dane to the my family when I moved ( waiting years for this breeder). The thing is that this wouldn't be an issue if I was moving into a house that I owned but I will be renting soon.
Finding a place to rent with a dog will be difficult let alone my dog, this dog, and a pup IF the time comes.

To be honest I mixed about this I do like the dog and I am not concerned about her dominance. My concerns are how she will fit in with my household (she’s never met my dog), whether I want to put up with straightening out her issues, and the set back of getting a pup. It sounds selfish…..However I waited a long time to get a dane from this breeder and don’t want to pass it up. Yet I think its unfair for the dog to be put down. So confused……

Please excuse the typos and ramblings I’m tired…….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
these people sound like terrible dog owners. don't want to rehome her so they would rather keep her in a crate. don't put yourself out to take their dog because they bit off more then they could chew. if you want your dane pup do not take this dog. encourage them to rehome the dog. their fears are unjustified and rescue will find the dog a better home then the one she is currently in. you never know if your dog and her would get along, if they don't, you would be the one in there shoes, wondering how to get your dogs to coexist together. sounds like a mess to me

Old 01-23-2012, 08:08 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,782 times
This dog needs to be re-homed to a place with no other pets. She is queen and does not want to share attention is all. Being she is getting older younger ones may be getting more attention and the younger ones may try getting her to play and she says enough is enough.
I would not bring her into your home as you already have a dog and wanting a pup. Maybe you can suggest a person who is looking for a older dog that has no other pets.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
just say No Thank You. You don't need this dog and they are wrong to put this on you. A very bad idea.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
Just Say NO!

They don't want to rehome her .....hhuummmm Sounds to me they are ReHome her or is that Pawning her Off on You!

Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Nope. If she was your only dog, she might be just fine. But at her age, she's locked in now, and will do nothing but try to dominate your Dane. You will have nothing but dog fights all the time.

If you have taken the dog by now, I would try to find another home for her fast. If not, then don't be tempted. It's better to have one dog and be at peace than to have two and live in constant tension.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
WildnFree, while I don't necessarily disagree with the advice you have been given, I'm having trouble following the story (please forgive - old brain). They want you to take the dominant female, correct?

Part of the problem here is the makeup of that household - 4 females and 1 male, and a very dominant, alpha female. That's about the worst mix there is - there's a saying that males fight to show dominance, females fight to the death. It's been my experience over 15 years or so of rescue that female on female fights are nastier, so there may be some truth to that.

I think you NEED to be concerned about her dominance, particularly if you have a female or are anticipating getting a female. Once an alpha, always an alpha. If they have had her 6 years, they clearly saw this coming on for some time...were these her first fights? If so, I'd be somewhat concerned about a possible medical issue - but I suspect just plain old mean B****.

You will have a lot of puppy issues with a new little one. And you are correct, housing will be difficult, particularly with 1 or 2 large breed dogs (and you will probably pay pet deposits that could choke a moose!).

I in no way want you to think that I'm saying you're not capable of managing the situation, but you have a new career, one established dog, and are considering a pup. That's a lot to say grace over. The better part of valor may be to work with this family and help them re-home the dog to a one-dog-only home, with full disclosure of her temperament. Just because they are dog aggressive in some situations doesn't mean every situation, and certainly doesn't mean they can't be great dogs in the right environment.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Tell them you can't even consider it now, since you are going to have to get a place. Also, don't let them talk your parents into it either. This is their problem, DO NOT MAKE IT YOURS. The dog needs to be re homed, should have been already years ago. You do not want to have to deal w/ this drama, and you would be evicted, and/or sued first time this dog got after a neighbor's dog. NO! and No guilt, they are trying to take advantage of you.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
your not sure...so the answer is VERY simple, do NOT take this dog...
this is a very "high need" dog, she will never be able to safely be kept with other female dogs, she needs a strong leader, more one on one and training that most dogs will ever need, and alot of space...
the possibility of this currently same sex dog agression turning into general dog agression is quite high, especially if you add the stress of a new family, new home, new housemates to try and "figure out"

this particular dog needs a home with NO other dogs (preferably no cats or children either) and one thats EXPERIENCED...if they dont feel that home exists the dog needs to be humanely euthanized...many peple crate nd rotate sucessfully, but it doesnt sound like these folks are willing to put that extra time and energy into doing it properly...so instead there hoping to pawn her off to a friend rather than having the balls to do what needs to be done...this dog isnt happy, they need to get her into a home where she would be, or put her to sleep...its simply unfair of them to ask YOU to take on this responsibility right now, your moving, getting your life together and have your own dog to think about...tell them thanks for thinking of me but no thanks, im not ready for a dog with those existing issues, and move on with your life with your current dog and your new pup from a repuatable breeder.

its sad but unfortunatly same sex agression as sever as this sounds often cannot be "cured" managed yes but itll never go away comepletly...and with danes your also running the risk of same sex agression...so if your current dane is a male your better off getting a female dane and tada...issue insues, current dog female, the issue will exist too...
(some people keep same sex pairs of danes together no problem...but same sex agression IS present i the breed and quite a common occurance (especially with females) so i personally wouldnt risk beinging an already agressive dog into that mix and i wouldnt put off getting your dream pup just ebcause they arnt willing to entertain other options.)

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
WildnFree, while I don't necessarily disagree with the advice you have been given, I'm having trouble following the story (please forgive - old brain). They want you to take the dominant female, correct?

Part of the problem here is the makeup of that household - 4 females and 1 male, and a very dominant, alpha female. That's about the worst mix there is - there's a saying that males fight to show dominance, females fight to the death. It's been my experience over 15 years or so of rescue that female on female fights are nastier, so there may be some truth to that.

I think you NEED to be concerned about her dominance, particularly if you have a female or are anticipating getting a female. Once an alpha, always an alpha. If they have had her 6 years, they clearly saw this coming on for some time...were these her first fights? If so, I'd be somewhat concerned about a possible medical issue - but I suspect just plain old mean B****.

You will have a lot of puppy issues with a new little one. And you are correct, housing will be difficult, particularly with 1 or 2 large breed dogs (and you will probably pay pet deposits that could choke a moose!).

I in no way want you to think that I'm saying you're not capable of managing the situation, but you have a new career, one established dog, and are considering a pup. That's a lot to say grace over. The better part of valor may be to work with this family and help them re-home the dog to a one-dog-only home, with full disclosure of her temperament. Just because they are dog aggressive in some situations doesn't mean every situation, and certainly doesn't mean they can't be great dogs in the right environment.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Thank you everyone for the responses and opinions I do and don't understand where they are coming form. They don't want to put the dog down but they don't want to just give her away to just anyone either.

Sam I Am, Yes you are correct this female is VERY dominant. She also doesn't like children and some men. ( which I have neither) So yes they want me to take her.

One female in the house ( myself) is one too many lol, I've always had males. My next dane will be a boy.

I'm not sure of how many fights she's been involved in but apparently at one time all the dogs were together then one day the dominant female just "snapped." Since then they have kept the dog she attacked up in a spare bedroom. (The dog in the bedroom belongs to their daughter BTW) So they rotated the two dogs, putting the dominant one in a crate while the daughters dog ran the house.

That's what they had been doing for 4 or possibly 5 years. ( When I met them almost 3 years ago they were doing this)

Then recently after the dominant dog injured the daughter's dog (don't know the entire story) but apprently the dominant and another female went out together ( like they had always done) and a fight started. ( Again that's what I was told) So she's been on "lockdown" they put the two females she attacked in the daughter's room and put the male in the cage, and allow the dominant female out for a few hours.

The dominant female has some basic OB however IMO it needs some SERIOUS spit and polish. They like to have dogs "mature" and "come into their own" My boy has a CGC (with a solid foundation in OB )and whenever I get my new pup it will be the same.

Personally I believe it can be done.....however it will take time. I like her but I am not attached to her ( if that makes sense). Like I said I feel bad for the dog but at the same time I don't want to push my plans to adjust for this dog. Like someone said insurance is a big issue, I am not sure but I think she has bitten someone.

I asked them about rehoming her but they don't want to send her to just anyone. The previous option was to have someone shoot her, then they said they couldn't do it. So they offered her to me.

Again sorry this is long. They offered her to me a while back and even then I wasn't enthusiastic about it. I was hoping that they would straighten out the situation but nothings changed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs